• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-018a

10KW, 60 CYCLE
120, 240 Single phase, 208 3-phase
84ci 4 cylinder air cooled gasoline engine.

you should be all set.... it's Gas so wet stacking shouldn't be an issue. the only possible one could be the carb float (unless it's brass) I haven't seen the ones in the 2a042 or 4a084 engines.

Last edited:

Carl_in_NH

The 2A042 I've got has a brass float.

I haven't looked at the TM for the 018A, but as long as the 240V single phase reconnection configuration is a three-wire output (not a 2-wire output) you're good to go.

jbk

depends how cheap it is. its a 2 pole 3600 rpm unit not the slower 1800 rpm so it uses alot of fuel. 2.4 gph fully loaded. i have one in real nice shape runs good and can handle the load with no problem. i have to admit i dont run it much as i have several diesel and gas units that are the slower 1800 rpm. and did i mention its loud, real loud 82 db at 20ft. i think.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 4A084 has a brass float.
Uses much less when running without a load, so the load determines the fuel consumption.

There are two noises associated with it, the engine which isn't too bad, and the whine from the generator, which is very loud.
If the genset is behind a wall, house or at a distance away, say 100 ft, the noise is not bad at all in my experience.
Being a gasoline engine, it can be converted for natural gas operation also.

callbt

My MEP-018a is up and running. Only 123 Hrs on the working meter- granted the unit sat out in the weather for ~10 years with no top cover. Rod ends on the thottle linkage were rusted solid, but free now. Still some minor play in the governor some where since the Hz changes by 6 Hz when I remove a small load (space heater). The Voltage regulator (VR) appears to be working - I can adjust voltage with the knob and voltage stays constant (120 and 240) for the working legs I have at the moment.

I have some "quirks" that someone might be able to shed some light on.

1) Any idea why previous owner cut the L1 supply wire between the circuit breaker and selector switch stack. They removed a length of wire here, not just a single cut. Also removed the knob from the selector stack- the unit produced 120 on both L2 and L3 legs, so I'm good for back up power for the house, but not 3 phase.

2) Is there a trick to turning the selector switch- I used a wrench to get a hold of the post, it's very "springy" and doesn't want to skip over to the other positions. I'm assuming it turns both ways, tried both. Do I need to push down first?

3) I ran a small space heater from the field receptical on the side panel- worked fine until I plugged in a circular saw- I'm guessing I blew a fuse- but the little fuse button next to the field flash switch seems fine, yet pushed it a few times just for good measure.

4) What is the purpose of the field flash switch?

5) The engines doesn't start very easy, choke while cranking, remove choke - keep cranking repeat until it fires up. This is even when HOT. Yes tried cranking without choke first, nothing. Carb has been cleaned twice, once running - the engine purrs. Is the "brain" keeping spark off until the unit senses oil pressure?

Thank you for the help and Merry Christmas- it's going too be a white one here in Peoria IL
Brian

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of answers and congrats on getting it running. I love mine and actually like the sound of it. :)

2) Is there a trick to turning the selector switch- I used a wrench to get a hold of the post, it's very "springy" and doesn't want to skip over to the other positions. I'm assuming it turns both ways, tried both. Do I need to push down first?

May just need some exercise. No need to press down, will spring into each position.

3) I ran a small space heater from the field receptical on the side panel- worked fine until I plugged in a circular saw- I'm guessing I blew a fuse- but the little fuse button next to the field flash switch seems fine, yet pushed it a few times just for good measure.

Fuses for the convenience outlet are visible in the upper left hand area when the front panel is flipped down. Should be a spare one that you can use next to fuse holders.

5) The engines doesn't start very easy, choke while cranking, remove choke - keep cranking repeat until it fires up. This is even when HOT. Yes tried cranking without choke first, nothing. Carb has been cleaned twice, once running - the engine purrs. Is the "brain" keeping spark off until the unit senses oil pressure?

The "low oil pressure" cut-out is bypassed during the start operation.

callbt

Hello,
This thread seem more in line with the genertor side of this MEP-018a. I had governor issues- that's resolved and I'm making power again.

My current thought is how to maximize the power output in single phase 240 setting. Is the max possible power only 30 amps per leg or 7,200 watts? If so, I haven't gained anything other than more fuel consumption over my current box store generator.

My goal is to be able to power the house- primarily run the AC if needed, which being 40amps, means I'll need 9,600 watts at start up. The MEP-018a doesn't have enough power to do this . Can I re-wire it to get the full 10Kw and just forget about doing 3 phase? Of do I sell it and keep what I have- less fuel consumption, takes up less space, etc.

Thank you,
Brian

The Quadfather

It is a good choice for short term use. It is powerful, it will run a household, including a heat pump. It can also be converted to run on propane or natural gas. It will put out 240 volt single phase (split phase) with a center neutral. Though rated at 10 KW, it will actually put out more, approximately 14KW. It does like gas. And it's loud as ****. Parts can be obtained from surplus outlets.

The Quadfather

I see that this forum does not stack replies under the post being replied to. Therefore I guess I must state what I am replying to. The post above is in response to the first post in this thread.

I have a request. I have an MEP 018A generator set with an older type regulator. I also have a book on this unit, but the regulator schematic in the book is for a different regulator. The one I have is a drab olive chassis with two transformers (bolted together) and three transistors mounted to the chassis. One transistor, the middle one is about the size of a half dollar coin. It is a 2N1358 germanium. The two outer ones are flange mounted, but the flange is a separate piece of metal. If anyone can supply me with a schematic for this regulator, It would be a great help to me. From what I can tell, there are three versions of this regulator, including a modern one that is availlable new. But I have the oldest one, and I have two of them. Thank you.

The Quadfather

intemadater

Mep-018a mag timming

Does anyone know how to reinstal the mag once removed from this unit. i cant find any way to see the timming marks without removing the gear cover.

Ratch

I just did this job a few weeks ago. You really can't do it any other way, you have to remove the governor. You also have to time the magneto to the correct position.
Spin the gear on the magneto through the snap (s) until you see a spark at cylinder #1's port, then roll it back a hair or two to set the timing mark. Hold the gear in place, then reinstall. It helps to set the cam gear to the timing mark position first, since you can't really do that while holding the magneto in place.
It's really no big deal to pop the governor off, either. I tried to avoid it when I did this job, but it was much more work to NOT remove the gov for reinstall. Once it's off, you can see everything nice and easy.

Ratch

I should also rescind my comment about hard starting. It had oxidized points when I was trying to start it, and I was getting weak or no spark. I filed them gently with emery cloth, and the unit would start very easy off weak 12 batteries. Until I changed the fuel filter...then it was behaving like it had no fuel.

I sold the unit last week, and the guy buying it jumped it with his deuce. The nice strong 24v from the deuce spun that motor better than I've ever seen it spin, and it seemed to fire up pretty easy.

I'm sitting here thinking about it, and really wishing I had the room to keep it. That was a mean sounding little motor. Though, I'm pretty happy with what I got for it.

Last edited:

intemadater

I just did this job a few weeks ago. You really can't do it any other way, you have to remove the governor. You also have to time the magneto to the correct position.
Spin the gear on the magneto through the snap (s) until you see a spark at cylinder #1's port, then roll it back a hair or two to set the timing mark. Hold the gear in place, then reinstall. It helps to set the cam gear to the timing mark position first, since you can't really do that while holding the magneto in place.
It's really no big deal to pop the governor off, either. I tried to avoid it when I did this job, but it was much more work to NOT remove the gov for reinstall. Once it's off, you can see everything nice and easy.

Thanks for for the info I did this last night and she purrs like a kitten. Took some tries to get the trimming marks lined up du to not being ably to see them but the third time was the charm. I thought I was going to have to pull off the trimming cover so I could see what I was doing. Anyone know where the trimming marks are near the flywheel so I can put a trimming light on it

Hello
I have two units one will run the other one not sure maybe just parts low hours
Just wondering if you might know someone that would be interested.
MEP -018A I'm in Fanning Springs Fl.
Thanks Jerry Patenaude

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks