• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531A Wet Stacking ??

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever had their MEP-531A wet stack? I was always under the impression that those run so hot that anything in the tailpipe would just burn out. At least that's how mine stay clean. I was just on the Dewey Electronics website, and on their generator accsessories page they are advertising an "Anti – Wet Stacking Kit ". It's a gadget that adds a 500 watt load if the generator is running below 25% loaded. According to the data sheet, operating a MEP-531A below 25% load will cause it to wetstack. Interesting that someone is worried about wet stacking a little yanmar, but not any of the big units. Anti-Wet Stacking Kit 120V AC Product Spec Sheet (3) (deweyelectronics.com) Neat looking 500W room heater. I doubt I could afford that though!

Scoobyshep

Has anyone ever had their MEP-531A wet stack? I was always under the impression that those run so hot that anything in the tailpipe would just burn out. At least that's how mine stay clean. I was just on the Dewey Electronics website, and on their generator accsessories page they are advertising an "Anti – Wet Stacking Kit ". It's a gadget that adds a 500 watt load if the generator is running below 25% loaded. According to the data sheet, operating a MEP-531A below 25% load will cause it to wetstack. Interesting that someone is worried about wet stacking a little yanmar, but not any of the big units. Anti-Wet Stacking Kit 120V AC Product Spec Sheet (3) (deweyelectronics.com) Neat looking 500W room heater. I doubt I could afford that though!
Id imagine any diesel has the ability to wetstack.

The little guys are easier to clear out, less load needed

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Well........................ Yes and no. The military had an interest in avoiding wet stacking. They made bolt on kits, for the 15, 30 and 60 KW gen sets, in the late 70's-early 80's. They were at first only for the ADA world, but later saw wider use. They worked. They kicked out when the load exceed 50-60 percent, (I think, been a while. But the figures are in the TM)

That was the positive side. Negative? The intense heat caused the paint to crack. That caused rust like you would not believe. That caused failures and (worse) it was an incredible eye sore. Big no-no.

And, the death knell, the repair parts were not funded. So to repair one, you had to "control substitute". Read that cannibalize. They were hated by all. I made a 200 KW load bank out of a bunch of them to load test the Patriot 150 KW Turbine engine gen set. But I NEVER stood within 30 feet of it in operation.

Before I spent a dime on a kit to prevent wet stacking, I would plug in a coffee pot.

Chainbreaker

Furthermore, unless your using just the added convenience receptacle it won't read the load correctly according to their data sheet:

" The kit senses load only at the added convenience receptacle. Any load or device attached to the generator load terminals or plugged into the generator control box receptacles will not be monitored by the anti-wet stack system."

Thus its of limited functionality. Given that, I would endorse Guy's Coffee Pot idea! :coffee:(y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks