• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701A (016) Broken Throttle Cable Alternative

cuad4u

I recently acquired two MEP 701A generators. All I wanted was the trailer they were mounted on, but I could not get the trailer without the generators. Although I have repaired numerous 002A and 003A generators and know them quite well, this is the first time I ever saw a MEP 701A much less tried to work on one.

Both came with broken throttle cables. I understand this is a common problem on these generators. I searched the net and called several of the major MEP generator suppliers, but nobody has a throttle cable and nobody seems to know when (or if) they will have any. I thought about buying a locking, vernier, push-pull throttle cable assembly and trying to modify it, but they are expensive and since nobody locally had one to look at to see if it would work, I thought there may be a better way.

Necessity made me look for an alternate solution, which I found. Many may have already made similar devices, but searching this site and others, I cannot find reference to any. I wish I had the knowledge to post a picture, but I don't. So I will try to explain what I did in words.

First I completely removed the broken throttle cable assembly and discarded it.

Then I went to the local hardware store and bought the following items.

One eye bolt with a 3 inch long threaded shank (eye bolt diameters of 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 inch will probably work). I used 1/4 inch.
One 1/4 inch ID fender washer.
One 1/4 inch ny-lock nut.
12 inch piece of light duty chain (minimum length they would sell) with links that a 1/4 inch diameter eye bolt will pass through.

I cut a piece off the chain 2 links long. You may have to experiment with the length you need.
I put one end of the chain over the "tab" on the spring loaded governor linkage where the center wire of the original throttle was attached.
I put the original washer and snap clip (a small cotter pin will do) back on the "tab" which secured this end of the chain to the governor "tab".
I put the other end of the 2 link chain through the eye of the eye bolt.
I inserted the 1/4 X 3 inch eye bolt through the stationary clamp where the outer sheath of the original throttle cable was anchored and installed the fender washer and the ny-lock nut on the eye bolt.

That is all there is to it and everything bought brand new was about a dollar.

By tightening the ny-lock nut the chain is pulled which pulls the governor linkage which increases engine RPM. This is the exact same "action" that the original (and un-available) vernier throttle cable did. Just turn the ny-lock nut until the engine is running at the proper RPM, which I understand equals 62 Hz on this generator and you are good-to-go.

The only dis-advantage to this set-up is the engine RPM is not as easily or as quickly adjusted as it was with the original vernier throttle cable. So far I do not see where adjustment is required. Set it at 62 Hz and it stays there.

I hope this idea may help others who have these generators with broken throttle cables.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks