• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701a Charging information

brianrbull

I have a MEP 701a with the one lung Onan, 234hrs on the clock great running gen, only the charging system seems to be offline. I tried to get the TM's From LOGSA but they are not avaliable to the public. Does anyone out there know if there is a fuse somwhere on the unit for the charging system?

Isaac-1

If your problem turns out to be the battery charging regulator there is a seller on ebay that has them for $100, note they are poorly listed, search on "libby regulator", I just had to replace mine due to over charging which killed my battery. If you do have to replace the regulator note the one on ebay may not look the same as the older style, but has matching part numbers and drops right in (screw holes line up and everything), they are shipped without instructions which worried me until I noticed the markings on the wires matched the ones on the old wires, so I just disconnected them one at a time and swapped in the new one, took about 10-15 minutes. If you do have a MEP-701a instead of a MEP-016b you have to remove the top acoustic cover as there are nuts holding the 2 bolts in place on the back of the control box. Also note that with the acoustic cover off there are 2 bolts on the sides you can loosen (not remove) that will let you pivot the top of the control box open for easier access.

Ike

derf

If there is a pull start rope inside the case then you have a 016E with a Yanmar. The charging system will be different.

Isaac-1

Onemore comment on chaning the charging regulator, you will probably want an assortment of long flat head screwdrivers, it is possible to get one that will fit between the relays on the relay board and still be big enough to turn the screws on the 2 mounting screws once you lossen the nuts on the back of the control box. This way you avoid having to remove the relays or the relay board, in case you have not spotted it yet the chraging regulator is in the back left corner of the control box, and does not leave much free room to move it around, it is possible to get it out with a little sliding and twisting without removing anything else. (same goes for putting in the replacement style one listed on ebay, just take your time)

Ike

p.s. note if you have the older style with the grooved heat sink on the front the holes in the regulator are not threaded, the new style like on the ebay auction with the potted electronics to the front and the deep U channel heat sink does have threads in the holes on the regulator though)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks