• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 701A - What To Expect

cuad4u

Several weeks ago someone posted and asked what to expect from a MEP 701A (016). After restoring and load testing around 12 MEP 002A and 003A generators I kinda know what to expect from them.

A couple of weeks ago I came across two MEP 701A generators mounted on a trailer. All I wanted was the trailer, but I had to buy the generators and the trailer as a unit to get the trailer. This is the first time I ever saw a MEP 701A "in person". I had a lot to learn.

After "opening them up - "removing the ASK", looking them over really well to see how they worked, and studying the various TM's I felt confident enough to see what ailed them. After a few hours trouble shooting and doing some minor repairs and adjustments and replacing a broken throttle cable, I got them running properly.

Both had been modified to provide 120 / 240 volts single phase at some time in their respective lives.

My load tester is nothing but a plastic 55 gallon barrel full of water and numerous water heater elements.

Since these generators are rated by the military for 3000 watts the first load test was a 3500 watt element. Both generators did this easily and without any fuss for 30 minutes. The % load meter showed around 85%. From no load to 3500 watts Hz dropped from 62 to 60.5.

Next load test was a 4500 watt element. I do not have a 4000 watt element. Again both generators heated the 4500 watt element without much fuss. Hz dropped from 62 under no load to 59 under the 4500 watt load. One generator emitted a little intermittent black smoke in the exhaust and the other one did not. The % load meter showed 115%. Current draw at 242 volts was 17.3 amps as measured on a Fluke 337 meter. I ran both generators at 4500 watts for 30 minutes without any problems.

In order to slightly increase the load I increased the voltage up to maximum of 260V. This increased the current draw and watts output even more but I did not measure amps to calculate watts. I wish I had. My guess is both generators were providing around 4800-5000 watts. Both generators started to labor just a bit and Hz dropped to around 57 but both generators stayed there. I think I was at the limit of what they can do. I did not run them like this more than a couple of minutes.

Bottom line and based on this experiment I feel a healthy MEP 701A will provide 4500 watts without much fuss, but that is the limit. I hope this helps.

One more thing I learned....the engine shut-off solenoid in a MEP 701A generator will not retract and the engine will not start unless there is at least a gallon of fuel in the tank, even though the fuel pick-up tube extends within an inch of the bottom of the tank. I learned this the hard way because when I first tried to start them, I could not get the solenoid to retract so the engines would not start. Of course I assumed a bad shut-down solenoid or a voltage problem. I only put a small amount of fuel in the tanks to begin with - enough to cover the end of the fuel pick-up tube - because I was not sure if I could get them running. Having to put at least one gallon of fuel in the tank in order for the engine shut-off solenoid to retract so the engine will start is only mentioned in ONE SENTENCE at the bottom of page 4-41 in the TM. I guess there is some kind of safety float switch in the tank.

Last edited:

steelypip

Yes, I discovered the low fuel switch and cutoff solenoid issue myself with my first MEP-701A. In my case, it was even weirder - I had intermittent running that sounded like bad ignition on a spark ignition engine. I could see the cutoff solenoid cycling randomly and assumed I had a wiring problem.

Adding another quart of fuel solved the problem...

That's a more detailed load test than I've done on mine - thanks for that.

skinnyR1

This is excellent info here, thank you. I was wondering if I could wire my transfer switch to my hot water heater, which is 4500w, with my 701a. Of course, I cant run anything else, but I can heat the water and then turn it off and run everything else as normal.

Isaac-1

Since the water heater is a purely resistive load you might lower your output voltage which will also lower the number of watts being drawn, lowering to 208V should lower output wattage to about 3380 watts from the 4500 at 240V

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks