• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a, runs, but a couple quirks

mijoe

Hi All, This board is full of great info and was very helpful as I went through the purchase process. Now that I have my MEP-803a, I built a load bank with 8 heater elements in a barrel to put it through its paces. I have noticed two issues that I have not found a ton of information on, and was hoping to run them past the fine folks here. First, I have noticed that the utilization meter moves around a little on a constant load (water heater elements), which I did not expect. I am wondering if it is associated with the fact that I cannot get the voltage regulator above 230 or so, even when rotated to the stop. I read somewhere that I may need to clean that rheostat to fix the issue... sound correct? Secondly, the oil pressure continually drops as the machine runs. At startup, the oil pressure is around 40, but I have seen it get as low at 17-18 after running for about an hour. Is this indicative of a specific failure on the unit? The unit is a 2005 model with 620 hours. I am running Rotella T5 15w40 in it currently.

Any advice is appreciated!

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My oil will start @ 60 PSI and drop to 40 if the coolant gets above ~165F.

Used to drop worse, which in retrospect was the diesel that was leaking into the crankcase thinning it out over time.

So what temp is the engine when it's down below 20?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you need to do for each of these cases is to verify the condition with an alternate measurement. For the electrical stuff you use V/A meter to verify the voltage and current. See if the voltage is moving around.

For the oil pressure, don't assume the gauge is correct. Buy a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge from the auto parts store and verify your oil pressure. Check the operation of the low oil pressure switch. Make sure it will shut the unit down.

Do you have the manuals?

mijoe

Check the operation of the low oil pressure switch. Make sure it will shut the unit down.

Do you have the manuals?
OK, will do. I believe the low oil pressure switch is functional, because it did shut down once and illuminate the low oil pressure light. I have the manuals in PDF form from GMG's site.

Guyfang

Staff member
Mijoe,

Check out the manuals section in SS. I think you will find it has a little more info.

All gauges are to be taken with a grain of salt. DieselAddict hit it square on the head. If you really want to know what your oil press and voltage and amperage is, use another means to check it.

Why do you want more than 230 volts? You only get more than 230 volts when the S-8 is in the 120/240, single phase position. What position is your S-8 in? Read the warning. Never move S-8 when running the set. Your S-6, (AM/VA) switch must also be in the right position.

By Utilization Meter, I guess you mean Persent of Rated Load meter. Yes, sometimes it will move, when the load comprises several different smaller loads. For example, a house. If you were to watch a house on a Percent of load meter, it would move. Probably a lot. People turning things on and off. Equipment, like a heater, turning on and off due to a thermostat. Things like that. Also remember that your S-8 switch, can have "gremlins" in it. Sometimes dirt and dust get in, and the continuity between contact points will suffer because of it. Loose connections also can affect the meter. Just how big of a movement does the meter make? What were you using for a load?

csheath

I honestly think converting the volt and load gauges to digital as I and others have done is very worthwhile. After conversion and verification it keeps from having to connect test instruments.

My unit had a new oil pressure gauge installed. I haven't verified it's reading but I feel it is probably accurate. My unit starts around 60 psig and declines to about 22 when hot and remains there. My temp gauge settles in just under 180 with a good thermostat and new cap. The fins on my radiator were fairly clogged with dirt so I washed it out good. Hard to believe they left it like that. It only had an hour run time on the clock since the last documented service.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, will do. I believe the low oil pressure switch is functional, because it did shut down once and illuminate the low oil pressure light. I have the manuals in PDF form from GMG's site.
Howdy,
Start with this thread of info MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts and then check out the links on the 2nd post. The manuals are also linked in the thread to right here on Steel Soldiers Technical Manual section

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
On all the MEPS the oil pressure drops after the engine and oil heats. After running the units on the load bank hard (100%-120%), the oil pressure gets down there. Then when I start cooling the units off, the oil pressure rises.

Just check that you oil level is to the full mark when idle.

mijoe

Thanks for the tips and advice so far. I did install an analog pressure gauge and found that my control panel gauge reads 4 or 5 PSI low, so I think I've been sweating this out for nothing. Next I'm on to load-banking and verifying amperage with a clamp-on meter.

csheath

If you buy one of the HF clamp meters get the one that has a peak hold on it. It's only a few bucks more than the cheapest one. Also be aware they read a few amps low.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks for the tips and advice so far. I did install an analog pressure gauge and found that my control panel gauge reads 4 or 5 PSI low, so I think I've been sweating this out for nothing. Next I'm on to load-banking and verifying amperage with a clamp-on meter.
What did I say about taking the gage readings with a bit of salt?

mijoe

Well, I don't think I'm out of the woods quite yet. The system oil pressure is low most of the time, and through load banking I determined that I can run at full load for about an hour before the generator shuts itself down with a low oil warning light on. When I got the unit and changed the oil the first time, I used Rotella T5 15w40 Synthetic Blend. Should I have kept with conventional oil and could that be contributing here?

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run T5. Have you verified the temperature, and that the motor isn't making oil? (i.e. leaking fuel into it.)

mijoe

I have not tried to verify the temp... I'll check it. It seems to run about 185 pretty steady. The oil level seems constant, but should I get it tested to see if it is OK?

Bmxenbrett

The temp gauges are just like every other gauge on the system...take them with a grain of salt. Mine reads 200* on the gauge but is actualy about 180* at the sensor on the water pump. I use the gauge for refrence only now.

Zed254

C o o l i n g S y s t e m :
Type P r e s s u r i z e d r a d i a t o r a n d p u m p
C a p a c i t y 8 . 2 q t s . ( 7 . 8 l i t e r s )
Normal Operating Temperature 1 7 0 - 2 0 0 ° F ( 7 7 - 9 3 ° C )
T e m p e r a t u r e I n d i c a t i n g S y s t em
V o l t a g e R a t i n g 24 VDC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks