• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A and others Voltage Regulator Problems, how come?

FLCarguy

Hi all,
After working out bugs on my new genset I found that I too had the undervoltage, Caused by the blown fuse next to the regulator, replaced the fuse and found that the freq is good and adjustable but the voltage is at a steady 200 with no adjustment. (And now stops with over voltage) The rheostat for the voltage works so I suspect my regulator is bad as well. I am going to pull it tomorrow and test the components. My question is, why do these seem to be a common failure? Is it user error? Or someone testing the genset not knowing what they are doing? Maybe someone hitting a switch at the wrong time? My experience with most military equipment is it is overbuilt and over spec'd material wise so it surprises me a little that these seem to fail so often. I design and test things for a living so I do know no matter how idiot proof you try to make it, there is always a bigger idiot! Once I fix it I hope to keep it fixed!

FLCarguy

Hi all,
After working out bugs on my new genset I found that I too had the undervoltage, Caused by the blown fuse next to the regulator, replaced the fuse and found that the freq is good and adjustable but the voltage is at a steady 200 with no adjustment. (And now stops with over voltage) The rheostat for the voltage works so I suspect my regulator is bad as well. I am going to pull it tomorrow and test the components. My question is, why do these seem to be a common failure? Is it user error? Or someone testing the genset not knowing what they are doing? Maybe someone hitting a switch at the wrong time? My experience with most military equipment is it is overbuilt and over spec'd material wise so it surprises me a little that these seem to fail so often. I design and test things for a living so I do know no matter how idiot proof you try to make it, there is always a bigger idiot! Once I fix it I hope to keep it fixed!
Well, it has failed again....... :-( same situation. At least it lasted a few years but not much use.

FLCarguy

I ordered one from kloppk and put it in today, works like a champ but I still have my an overspeed problem which I will start a new thread for.

Thanks!

jmenende

Check the magnetic pickup under the starter. Voltage should be from 2.3vac to 3vac. The tip is either ground off or full of metal scrapes. Sometimes its just a bad terminal. I use a broom stick to turn over the dead crank while looking at the voltmeter and slowly turning the mag pickup. Review the adjustment procedure in the TM to avoid damaging the part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks