• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 805b CIM software

datagen24

Anybody out on the interwebs lucky enough to have a copy of the restore CD for the CIM on the 805B?

Want to get a copy of it for a backup incase something happens to the unit

Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
In the almost ten years of working on TQG's, I never, ever, saw one need to be reloaded. So I would not spend and significant time or money trying to get the software. The CIM going bad, yep. Seen that often. But then I only worked on stuff that the Army could not fix, so its not a sign of unreliability.

datagen24

the unit looks solid, the IT guy in me wants to make sure i have what i need to fix the computer just incase....
I am using the unit as a backup for my home and home office.
So far quite impressed with it.

Guyfang

Staff member
If I can find the right email address, I will ask someone for a copy. No promises. I hate to admit it, but I tossed that disk, along with lots of other good stuff 3-4 years ago, because I had stopped contracting for the army, and figured I would never need it again. In retrospect, stupid. But I would need a house the size of the Taj Mahal to keep everything I collected over the years. And in Germany, who would have figured I would ever fall into this forum? Oh well.

Buzz254

I just took delivery of a new (yes, I said new) 805b.
do you need a copy of the CD that came with it?
the software that allows a laptop to monitor the controller?

baxter462

Hello. I just acquired a MEP-805b also, and I've been searching for the CIM software CD. Any chance I could get a copy too? I'm new to the forum, but is there any chance an iso of the cd could be uploaded to the tech manual section of the site?

Thanks!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what kind of setup do you use to connect to the Genny to push the reboot? I have only found the parrallel port to connect to. Any laptop with cd rom and a parallel cable?

baxter462

I'm not exactly sure, but the tech manual has pretty detailed instructions about how to connect to it, and even a schematic to build a cable if needed. I was planning on building a cable, but there is no sense spending the time on that if I can't obtain the software. I have some old computers with serial and parallel ports, so I'm sure I can make it work as long as I can get my hands on a copy of the cd.

baxter462

Okay, so I did some more tinkering today with my MEP-805b generators, and I have discovered some more information that might be useful to others:

So far, I have determined that there are at least 3 different designs of CIMs. Each design has unique hardware and software. There are likely more than 3 designs, but the following is what I have encountered so far:

CIM differences

Type 1: Monochrome display, software version 1.1. I have not investigated this hardware or software much. Two RS232 DB9 serial ports (P20 and J26), one DB25 parallel port (J29), all via external ribbon cable (P27 connector).

Type 2: Color display, software version 4.1.1a, uses a Winsystems SAT-520PLUS motherboard, 64 megabyte stick of ram, a 32 megabyte MD2202-D32-X M-systems DiskOnChip (removable). Same I/O connections as Type 1 above.

Type 3: Color display, software version 4.2, uses a Winsystems PPM-GX500 motherboard, 128 megabyte stick of ram, a 128 megabyte CompactFlash card. Two RS232 DB9 serial ports (P20 and J26) via external ribbon cable, one USB located on the side of the CIM, J29 parallel port is not physically connected inside CIM even though it may be present on the generator itself.

I've also seen videos on YouTube of generators running software version 4.1.2. I'm not sure if it runs on Type 2, Type 3, or another unique CIM (hardware wise).

Reloading software:

The only software I have access to is for Type 2 above. To load the software onto a type 1 or type 2 CIM, a male to male parallel Laplink (null modem) cable is needed, and a PC with a parallel port. I'm assuming Type 3 requires a USB flash drive or something similar to reload the software. The J29 parallel port for type 1 and type 2 CIMs appears to have no function other than software installation.

Serial Ports:

The two serial ports (P20 and J26) are for communication between the I/O Module and CIM (P20), and for the keypad (J26). The keypad is simply a serial mouse, and a serial mouse can be used instead. The other serial port communicates at 57,600 baud with the I/O module. P20 can be disconnected from the I/O module and can be connected to a PC with a null modem cable, and the CIM can be controlled using the test/simulation programs on the software CD that came with the generator. This is a useful diagnostic tool.

Communication Receptacle and remote display software:

The communication receptacle (J3) on the front panel of the generator is not connected to the CIM, but rather to J21 at the I/O module. It is not RS232 serial data like the CIM's serial ports, but rather RS485/RS422. To use the remote display software that came with the generator (again, I've only tried this with software version 4.1.1a), you'll need a USB to RS485/422 adapter. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Conve...?ie=UTF8&qid=1483835901&sr=8-7&keywords=rs485

To get this to work, you'll need to do the following: Install the driver for the USB to RS485/422 device, navigate to the device settings in Device Manager and change the device to com4, baud rate to 57,600. You'll need to build a cable from the USB device to the Communication Receptacle using an Amphenol 22-20P connector (male pins) with the following pinout:

USB adapter pin ----> Communication Receptacle
Pin 1 Send (A+) ----> Pin H
Pin 2 Send (B-) ----> Pin B
Pin 3 Receive (A+) ----> Pin D
Pin 4 Receive (B-) ----> Pin F

Hopefully this is helpful information. As I tinker and reverse-engineer more, I'll provide updates. Also, please keep in mind that while I've tried to ensure the information above is correct, it has all been obtained by my own personal observations, measurements, etc. Please use your best judgement when tinkering with your own generator in case I've made a mistake with something.

Last edited:

jmenende

Okay, so I did some more tinkering today with my MEP-805b generators, and I have discovered some more information that might be useful to others:

So far, I have determined that there are at least 3 different designs of CIMs. Each design has unique hardware and software. There are likely more than 3 designs, but the following is what I have encountered so far:

CIM differences

Type 1:
Monochrome display, software version 1.1. I have not investigated this hardware or software much. Two RS232 DB9 serial ports (P20 and J26), one DB25 parallel port (J29), all via external ribbon cable (P27 connector).

Type 2: Color display, software version 4.1.1a, uses a Winsystems SAT-520PLUS motherboard, 64 megabyte stick of ram, a 32 megabyte MD2202-D32-X M-systems DiskOnChip (removable). Same I/O connections as Type 1 above.

Type 3: Color display, software version 4.2, uses a Winsystems PPM-GX500 motherboard, 128 megabyte stick of ram, a 128 megabyte CompactFlash card. Two RS232 DB9 serial ports (P20 and J26) via external ribbon cable, one USB located on the side of the CIM, J29 parallel port is not physically connected inside CIM even though it may be present on the generator itself.

I've also seen videos on YouTube of generators running software version 4.1.2. I'm not sure if it runs on Type 2, Type 3, or another unique CIM (hardware wise).

Reloading software:

The only software I have access to is for Type 2 above. To load the software onto a type 1 or type 2 CIM, a male to male parallel Laplink (null modem) cable is needed, and a PC with a parallel port. I'm assuming Type 3 requires a USB flash drive or something similar to reload the software. The J29 parallel port for type 1 and type 2 CIMs appears to have no function other than software installation.

Serial Ports:

The two serial ports (P20 and J26) are for communication between the I/O Module and CIM (P20), and for the keypad (J26). The keypad is simply a serial mouse, and a serial mouse can be used instead. The other serial port communicates at 57,600 baud with the I/O module. P20 can be disconnected from the I/O module and can be connected to a PC with a null modem cable, and the CIM can be controlled using the test/simulation programs on the software CD that came with the generator. This is a useful diagnostic tool.

Communication Receptacle and remote display software:

The communication receptacle (J3) on the front panel of the generator is not connected to the CIM, but rather to J21 at the I/O module. It is not RS232 serial data like the CIM's serial ports, but rather RS485/RS422. To use the remote display software that came with the generator (again, I've only tried this with software version 4.1.1a), you'll need a USB to RS485/422 adapter. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/GearMo-Conve...?ie=UTF8&qid=1483835901&sr=8-7&keywords=rs485

To get this to work, you'll need to do the following: Install the driver for the USB to RS485/422 device, navigate to the device settings in Device Manager and change the device to com4, baud rate to 57,600. You'll need to build a cable from the USB device to the Communication Receptacle using an Amphenol 22-20P connector (male pins) with the following pinout:

USB adapter pin ----> Communication Receptacle
Pin 1 Send (A+) ----> Pin H
Pin 2 Send (B-) ----> Pin B
Pin 3 Receive (A+) ----> Pin D
Pin 4 Receive (B-) ----> Pin F

Hopefully this is helpful information. As I tinker and reverse-engineer more, I'll provide updates. Also, please keep in mind that while I've tried to ensure the information above is correct, it has all been obtained by my own personal observations, measurements, etc. Please use your best judgement when tinkering with your own generator in case I've made a mistake with something.
Hi there, any updates on this? I need the cim software for version 2. Would you be able to share it?

Guyfang

Staff member
You need to look at the CD, if its original and see if it released for the public. If its not coded "A", you need to be careful with what you do with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks