• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-806A won’t flash/excite

Billy2642

So I have an 806a with about 300 hours on it. Machine starts up and runs great. Once running, it shows about 49 hertz and 80 volts with an undervoltage light on. With that I figure it just has to be excited so I turn the start switch to start for a couple seconds and nothing. Gauges dont bounce or anything. Tried it with the battle short on and no change. Checked all the fuses under the panel and changed them out just in case. One thing I noticed is the alt gauge is only showing it charging at +3 volts. Is that enough power to pull to the windings to excite the system? I’m going to clean the magnetic pickup tomorrow and make sure it’s adjusted properly but I’m having my doubts that will work. Machine seems to be running at full rpm. The potentiometer for the hertz/frequency does adjust the rpm slightly. 50/60 hertz switch is on 60. Any ideas?

metalchips

I've had a lot of alternator issues with my 806a in the past and I would always find these kind of numbers when the DC control power dropped below around 15 volts. This was caused by the batteries being close to dead. Poke around with your multimeter and make sure that you have 24DC at the governor and 24VAC at the voltage controller. Look for loose ground connections. There's a test in the TM for the voltage regulator, make sure it's flashing the genset.

Evan

Billy2642

I've had a lot of alternator issues with my 806a in the past and I would always find these kind of numbers when the DC control power dropped below around 15 volts. This was caused by the batteries being close to dead. Poke around with your multimeter and make sure that you have 24DC at the governor and 24VAC at the voltage controller. Look for loose ground connections. There's a test in the TM for the voltage regulator, make sure it's flashing the genset.

Evan
Took the alternator to a shop, they said it tested great as if it’s brand new. I swapped the VR with a known good one and nothing changed. I do have 24vdc where you mentioned. Any other ideas?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I missing something here, the batteries should have 24vdc, but if the engine is running it should be 27.5-28.5.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks