• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 10kw 400Hz generator MEP-813A + MEP-1041

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
This is just a information post.

A MEP-813A 10kw 400Hz generator does not work for a normal household.

It produces 400Hz power. Which means you could start a aircraft, or run a radar system. aua In the civilian world, you could call it a expensive boat anchor

A normal USA household uses what's known as 120/240 volts 60Hz power.

There is no easy way to make a 400Hz generator work for your house.

A MEP-813A generator is useful for miscellaneous parts. Door panels, body panels, pumps, radiator, engine only, some gauges.

For all those new people buying a surplus generator. I hope this helps when you look up what a MEP-813A generator is. :)

If you are looking for a unit which works for your house? a MEP-803A 10kw 60Hz generator is the name.

NOTE: you should become a member here on steelsoldiers.com for all your generator information. 2cents

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Not to get down on anyone. The auction on GovPlanet Oct 11, 2017 saw some incredible generator prices.

2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 7 hours $7,500
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 5 hours $7,250
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 6 hours $6,600
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 6 hours $6,550

All that is before fees and taxes.
and those are all 400Hz units

WOW :shrugs:

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll admit that I once mistakenly bought an 813. Got a great deal on it, and quickly figured out why. Now it’s a parts doner for my 803, and the engine will be used to power a hydraulic pump for another project, just need to get the correct flywheel. I’m willing to bet those go back to auction when the winner reads this post and fails to pick them up.

Guyfang

Staff member
Send em to school.

Teach them to read.

But upon reflection, I tend to read things too fast myself.

6-7K? Oh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Diver,

I need some help. I am trying to, maybe, could be, thinking about it, going to try and produce new wire diagrams for the 802 and 803 gen sets. The wire diagrams suck. You cant read them, there is one or two mistakes on them, and they print like 2 year old kids produced them.

Could you please tell me the colors of the wires that power the electric fuel pumps? I think it's Brown and black. But haven't laid hands on a set since 2010.

Look at P14, the plug that goes to the L5, Fuel cut off solenoid. Tell me which color wires match up to which wire numbers. There are three wires. 119B, 183A and 100D

Look at the Oil pressure switch. Which color wire goes to which wire number. Wires are, 143C and 126A.

And the same with the coolant high temp switch.

In theory, it should not matter. But want to find out anyway.

I picked you, because this is the first thread I found with 802 or 803 written on it. I have asked several people in the forum, but they are not home, or have 002 and 003's. So please help me.

Thanks ahead of time!!

Guy

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1198 is red, 183a is white , 100d is black for the p14 run. No colors on the coolant switch, goes straight to the spades on the sensor. Same with the oil pressure but 126a goes to nc and 143c goes to c on the sensor

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Not to get down on anyone. The auction on GovPlanet Oct 11, 2017 saw some incredible generator prices.

2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 7 hours $7,500
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 5 hours $7,250
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 6 hours $6,600
2012 Fermont MEP-813A 10kW Gen Set 6 hours $6,550

All that is before fees and taxes.

WOW :shrugs:
YIKES!! Sure hope whoever bought them does better research before hooking them up to their home. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying one for parts when they were going for a couple hundred dollars.

justacitizen

YIKES!! Sure hope whoever bought them does better research before hooking them up to their home. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying one for parts when they were going for a couple hundred dollars.
I would bet that all of those bidder have private jets or their own radar systems at home. thats why they paid so much!!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep in mind. If you have, say, the mother of all heaters, 110 or 220, you can use a 400 hertz gen set. It's a resistive load. Hertz dosnt matter. There are people who can and need, 400 hertz.

Darrell, thanks partner!! superman, thank you also. I may start a thread just for this project. There are many questions I might need to ask, and you all have the hardware at hand.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Guy

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Any of the MEP units with a 1 in the middle are 400Hz generators

400Hz MEP-813A
60Hz MEP-803A

TheAlfredo

I thought of that. But I live in Florida and am planning on putting a weather cover over it. Having a stack/pipe would mean a hole in the cover

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s a cheap easy fix for the flap, just have a hole in the cover for the pipe. Mine gets covered with moss living in the Pacific Northwest that I pressure wash every other year or so.

eatont9999

I would buy an 813A if it was cheap enough and use it for a parts unit. I could even re-power something with a gas engine like an old tractor, etc.

As for paying 6-7K for any MEP-813/803, that is out of the question. For that money, I could buy a brand new unit or a 20+KW Kohler, generac, etc Diesel powered genset.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Willing to sell your spare exhaust flap/cap?
Howdy,

Why on earth would I have a exhaust flap?

I did not buy a parts machine. I would expect the person which bought a 400Hz unit would sell you the exhaust flap for $500 to try and get there money back.

Zed254

I thought of that. But I live in Florida and am planning on putting a weather cover over it. Having a stack/pipe would mean a hole in the cover
Unless you are talking about a removable tarp you will still need holes in the cover to allow the exhaust flapper to open and the air exhaust to exit the radiator. A short stack will work with a removable tarp as long as you remember to remove the tarp before start up.

TheAlfredo

Yes...a removable tarp. Was going to have one made to match the boat cover of the boat next to it. And having the original exhaust flap would keep the water out of the engine bay...without it not sealed around the opening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks