• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831a and NOCO G7200

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am working on an 831 that has a faulty battery charging regulator, has anyone used a NOCO g 7200 in place of a bad battery charging regulator?

Do you have to push the button everytime to select 24v when 120v is applied? All of the video's show that you have to push the button to select 24v after plugging in.

Capture1.JPGIMG_2520[1].jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for verifying for me. Its not my genny so I want it to be as user friendly as possible.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the Battery Chargers were manufactured by TRC they used a couple of zip ties to secure the toroid coil to the PCB. Over time due to age and heat the zip ties fracture and allow the toroid to come loose and vibrate about. During use the toroid leads fracture causing the battery charger to fail.
Might be the problem with your charger.

Here is what the broken zip ties look like.

Attachments

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the Battery Chargers were manufactured by TRC they used a couple of zip ties to secure the toroid coil to the PCB. Over time due to age and heat the zip ties fracture and allow the toroid to come loose and vibrate about. During use the toroid leads fracture causing the battery charger to fail.

Here is what the broken zip ties look like.
Didnt see anything out of the ordinary, caps not bulged, mov's looked good, all zip ties in good condition.

When I say faulty, it only puts out 24.9v, that would take along time to recharge a battery.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes - The NOCO 7200 will resume charging at it's last charger setting once AC power is restored to it.
I just tested it with my 7200 and a 831 AGM battery. Started charging. Dropped AC power to the NOCO. Restored AC power and it automatically resumed charging at the 24V AGM setting.

One downside to using the NOCO is that the generator will need to have a chargeable battery in it. If there is no battery installed the charger will not come on to provide 24 volts to run the fuel pump, etc.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It came with 2 motorcycle batteries, but I have a concorde that needs a new home that is good, so I will send the Concorde with the genny.

Bmxenbrett

I would just fix the charging circuit properly. Useing a battery charger for as an alternator would be my last resort..for when the unit quit while it was needed.

These new battery chsrgers need voltage to make voltage. So if your set will start with batterys that have 23v the charger may not work at all.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just fix the charging circuit properly. Useing a battery charger for as an alternator would be my last resort..for when the unit quit while it was needed.

These new battery chsrgers need voltage to make voltage. So if your set will start with batterys that have 23v the charger may not work at all.
831 doesnt require batteries, or a charging system or a starter to run and produce power, its an inverter style system. Also have not found a original part. I am all for being a purest, but if you cant, then adapt.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
perfect post, i just noticed my charger may also be bad as my batteries just ran down and had to recharge them. will check the ties tonight in the charger, and the voltage output/input at the harness. does any body have a line on replacement chargers, a quick look the other night did not find any sources that have them available.

there is a document on SS -can't find it right now, but it is titled "3KW TQG DC and AC Electrical System" google it and it may help, has great info on wires and how this work.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
831 doesnt require batteries, or a charging system or a starter to run and produce power, its an inverter style system. Also have not found a original part. I am all for being a purest, but if you cant, then adapt.
You will need 24v to run the controls and the governor.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter

don't want to hijack thread, but my issue seems identical, should I tag along or start a new one? just pulled my charger, see pics, one zip is broken but all leads seem sound. my battery terminals are showing 23.9 v now (after several starts), and the black and red wires (output??) from the charger are showing 23.9. white to white going (in?) to the charger show zero? (checked with generator running).
Resized_20180627_191727 charger.jpgResized_20180627_191743 charger 2.jpg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The voltage across the White input leads to the charger should be 32-50 Volts AC (not DC) when the generator is running.
If no AC is seen at the two white leads check the 20A fuse FU1. This is the fuse between the generator head battery charger winding and the battery charger input.

Black and red wire are the output of the charger that are tied to the battery negative and positive respectively.

Last edited:

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kloppk, your post sent me looking in the right place. checked the KU1 fuse, it was fine, but when I went to see if the fuse to fuse holder was making contact one of the leads popped right off, broken at the crimp inside the plastic sheild. made a new end and its putting out 26.5 volts to the battery. oh and I put a new wire tie around the coil. while mine still lives, maybe these are one of those items you can re-engineer with new solid state components like the governor (which is awesome, for those reading this - replace the OEM one with his)…. maybe incorporate the solar panel directly into it and do away with the solar panel box at the same time. i'm in!!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gt
Glad my post got you looking in the right direction and locating the charging issue with your set.
Appreciate the plug for my 831A Governor Controllers. :)
Creating a replacement for the 831 Battery Charger Voltage Regulators is on my list.
Can you tell me more about the "incorporate the solar panel directly into it and do away with the solar panel box"?
PM me with details. Thx!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks