• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831A SLC100 Governor Controller Replacement Prototype

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-831A SLC100 Governor Controller

Having purchased a couple of MEP-831A's I found that the SLC100 Governor Controllers are problem prone. The two Tier 2 Reset units I purchased with just 2 hrs on the clock both randomly exhibited surging issues as well as random WOT issues. Adjustment of the SLC100 Governor Controllers was futile.
I dropped about $350 on a new SLC100 from GCA to repair one of my 831A's and knew there had to be a better solution than dropping more than 50% of a 831 purchase price on a new controller!

Being a retired DOD engineer and not not being satisfied with the analog, moisture prone design issue of the SLC100 I decided to design a replacement for the SLC100 governor controller for the 831A. After studying the TM, the tuning procedure and the operation of the SLC100 I came up with a design that eliminates the primitive analog feedback system employed in the SLC100 with the four moisture prone potentiometers.

Operational description:
The SLC100 takes two inputs to determine the appropriate setting of the engines throttle actuator. The first is the frequency from the PMA (engine RPM) and the second is the %Load applied signal from the inverter. The SLC100 operates to adjust the voltage to the actuator so that the engine RPM is approximately proportional to the applied load. To operate correctly the SLC100 must be operating properly as well as having the GAIN, BOOST, RPM and STABILITY potentiometers set correctly. Sometimes a PITA to adjust correctly.

The prototype unit employs two circuits that convert the PMA frequency output which is proportional to the engine RPM as well as the inverters %Load output. The PMA's frequency is converted to a digital frequency using a opto-isolator. The opto-isolator's digital frequency output is fed to a Frequency to Voltage convertor who's output is sent to a 8 bit microcomputer to measure the engine RPM. More on the 8 bit RISC microcomputer later.
The invertors Load sensing output is also sent to the 8 bit microcomputer. It's a 0-5 VDC level representing 0-%100 load.
Based on the PMA "Frequency" input and the %Load input the microcomputer then adjusts the 831's actuator to achieve the appropriate engine RPM based on the load applied. Adjustment of the actuator position is achieved using a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) output from the microcomputer to trigger a NPN darlington transistor to control the actuators position by varying the "voltage" to it.
The microcomputer constantly monitors the PMA frequency (engine RPM) and %load to constantly maintain the correct engine RPM.

The 8 bit RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computer) microcomputer is a ATTINY85.

Here is a picture of the prototype replacement. The 14 pin IC is the Frequency to Voltage convertor, the 8 pin IC is the 8 bit ATTINY85 RISC microcomputer, the 4 pin IC is the opto-isolator. Device headers contain the needed resistors and diodes to make the PMA Frequency sensor and %Load sensor circuits work. The TO-220 device is the darlington power transistor to control the 831A's actuator position. The big green resistor is part of the PMA opto-isolator Frequency conversion circuit. The two TO-92 devices are +5 and +12 VDC voltage regulators to power the various prototype circuits.

20171027_110654.jpg

Close up of prototype. Not pretty, hey it's a prototype!

20171027_110924.jpg

A picture of the prototype installed in one of my 831A's

20171027_132352.jpg

Here is a video of one of the initial runs today of the prototype installed in one of my 831A's. The video is of the initialization, lifting the actuator target off the magnet (not shown), initial start, adjustment to no load RPM, application of 1.5 KW load with throttle up, application of 3 KW load with more throttle up to full load RPM, reduction of load to 1.5 KW with throttle down, reduction of load to 0 KW with return to idle RPM and then final shutdown. All controlled with the prototype governor controller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFscHrwO1c

After more testing my hope is to turn the design into a proper PWB design and possibly make units available for sale. Target is to potentially make the replacement available for much less than a new SLC100. PWB design underway already.

The big bonus is no need to tune the 4 potentiometers and eliminate the moisture issue. "Production" controllers would be 100% conformally coated.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the photos are not working.

I'm working down a similar path. I'm using an arduino mini pro. I'm using a motor driver to control the actuator.

Good luck on your project!!

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures fixed.
Chris, I started with the Arduino Uno, then switched to the Arduino Nano for the first breadboard and finally to the ATtiny85 for the prototype shown above.
The ATtiny85 has limited I/O but was more than adequate for my application. I use 2 analog inputs and a single PWM output.
The ATtiny85 can be programmed in Arduino and they only cost ~$1.50 each!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. My plan is to include some other features such as an auto start which is why I'm going with a microcontroller with more IO. Plus I have a bunch of them laying around. I was toying around with doing a custom layout but thought I would do it with off the shelf parts with the idea that someone could assemble one for themselves with just some wiring.

Unfortunately I've been on a contract that has gone on a lot longer than expected. It has kept me away from home for 2 years so I've not been able to work on the project. BUT I'm going home at the end of Nov. So looking forward to getting back to tinkering.

Glad to see someone else working on the SLC100 problem!

OverkillTASF

Could you provide a schematic of specifically what you built for the PWM governor control? I'm turning my genny into a standard non-inverter generator... I hope... and the governor control (for "run", idle no load, and shut off) is something I'm going to have to figure out. Any chance your PWM trigger from the logic level side would be compatible with the relatively slow pulse capabilities of an RPi or... Arduino?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Any chance your PWM trigger from the logic level side would be compatible with the relatively slow pulse capabilities of an RPi or... Arduino?
The circuit I used does work using the PWM output of an Arduino. ( My initial breadboard version was Arduino based.)
The PWM circuit is quite simple. It uses a TIP120 NPN Darlington Transistor, a 1 K ohm resistor and a couple of general purpose 1N4004 diodes. Be sure to heat sink the TIP120.
When starting the Arduino first sends out a PWM signal set at 255 for 250 ms. This lifts the Actuator off the target to get the engine ready to start.
When the 831 is shut off the +24 going to the Arduino and the PWM circuit is shut off and the actuator will snap back to the target shutting down the engine.
Once the engine is running you'll have to adjust your PWM setting to maintain proper engine speed.
How do you envision monitoring your gensets RPM to maintain 60 Hz?

Here is quick sketch of the PWM circuit I used.
Double click to enlarge.

PWM.JPG

Last edited:

OverkillTASF

> How do you envision monitoring your gensets RPM to maintain 60 Hz?

I'm going to set the mechanical governor to maintain 3600 rpm so that lifting the governor leaves it mechanical. I would like to eventually have a frequency read offo of the AC as well, but I think I can leave it up to the mechanical governor.

Thanks so much for the circuit.

NATCAD

This is awesome. Sorry, that didn't cover it, klop - I really appreciate what you are working on here: you sir, have what it takes!

Group buy:

1. Natcad Quant: 3

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NATCAD.. cool.8) Nice to see there is some interest in this endeavor.
Need to get in some more run time on the prototype before committing to ordering the pcb's and parts.

3D model of current PCB design. Pink strip is the terminal strip for the 9 wire connections from the 831A.
Silkscreen includes terminal designations as well as wire designations.
Would be a bolt in replacement for the stock SLC100.

Attachments

Last edited:

NATCAD

Just to go back to reason for failure on factory slc100 - is this confirmed as being a moisture penetration into the pots?
So, your prototype will avoid this as it will not have pots?

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to go back to reason for failure on factory slc100 - is this confirmed as being a moisture penetration into the pots?
So, your prototype will avoid this as it will not have pots?
Yes, the replacement controller I'm working on will NOT have any pots. The entire assembly, except the terminal strip, will be urethane coated to keep moisture out.
There are no need for any pots in this design since the microcontroller constantly reads the PMA frequency and directly controls the engine RPM. The target RPM the controller uses is based on the %Load signal from the inverter. The controller constantly adjusts and maintains the engine RPM based on the %Load signal from the inverter.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First spin of the PCB version built. Tested in one of my 831A's. Success.
20171125_085858.jpg
Need to tweek some of the hole sizes and use a different terminal strip before ordering the next batch of PCB's.

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
I do wish you will power and luck to continue the effort. and looking back thank you for this effort and expense to date you have shown.. very very good ... my best guess we have 6 of the 831 and sure i would be keen to help reward your efforts .. thanx mac/mc

dav5

It's my speculation that the issue is due to moisture getting into the pots. The factory SLC100 is fully potted EXCEPT for the pots. They are open to the ambient air and moisture.

Both of my 831's had issues with the governor controllers. Both exhibited the surging problem and/or they just went to WOT sending ~24 volts to the actuator.
Adjustment of them was useless.
I dried both in a food dehydrator for 24 hrs at 120F. Both SLC100's now work perfect. One of my 831's I've run numerous times with loads cycling on and off without a hitch. The second 831 I just ran today. It too ran perfect with 50% and 100% loads cycling on and off.

And yes, the replacement controller I'm working on will NOT have any pots. The entire assembly, except the terminal strip, will be urethane coated to keep moisture out.
There are no need for any pots in this design since the microcontroller constantly reads the PMA frequency and directly controls the engine RPM. The target RPM the controller uses is based on the %Load signal from the inverter. The controller has a programmed in lookup table of %LOAD vs Target RPM. The controller constantly adjusts and maintains the engine RPM based on the %Load signal from the inverter.
Thanks for your efforts. It looks great. I just received a 2nd brand new controller from GAC that was dead on arrival. No response to the adjustment screws and it ran at WOT. They are very good at replacing them but it is still a PITA. I decided to dry two of my old ones out as suggested. I don't have a dehydrator but my oven has a 145 degree bread proofing setting. A day later the surging was gone. If it is permanent I wiil be very happy. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Thanks. Ted

BobbyT

I just picked up my 831A, it looks rough on the outside but everything appears to be there, nothing missing. I’ll go through it this week, but i’m game for one controller when you get them dialed in. Probably better to have a known good one for spare or to run It instead of factory.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BobbyT,
The latest version is in production at the PCB house now.
Planning on being able to ship units in a week or two.

BTW - Nice Jeep!
I have a YJ on Tons with 43" SX stickies, Love wheeling it!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks