MEP003A questions

redpill

Howdy gents; I'm looking for any and all recommendations regarding my MEP003A genset. I'd like any user wisdom, recommendation and information as to where to get the corresponding plug with the ACCO cover. Sorry my expertice doesnt run to electricity and engines, mostly just the bang-bang and 98.6 stuff. I do have a copy of the TMs, so a real world sitrep would be nice. especially regarding the new low sulfer diesel problems i hear about. Also I'd like some info re EMP vulnerabilities of the unit (if any).
Thanks
The red pill

NEIOWA

EMP??? You expecting a problem with nukes messing up your electrical service?

1st thing I/we did on our our unit (and MEP002s) was to strip off the 3pack fuel filter assembly and replace with a modern civ spin on unit. Sure made a big improvement in getting the thing going. A pretty good unit otherwise.

Do a search on 10kw or MEP00 and you'll find seveal threads discussing the genset including the problems with obtaining replacement engine parts (Onan no longer makes).

redpill

Thanks for the rep. Actually yes I do expect an EMP event fairly soon. I dont suspect much EMP generator suceptability unless I have a lond antenna out, but who the heck knows these things thats talking. Im really looking for the GI cable and plug that the MEP003A used. The filter mod is a good idea. Thanks
red pill

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do tell about the event? in any case, the set is not too well protected, none of them we see here are. as long as it's not connected to anything you are probably ok. If you are paranoid you could short all the terminals together and then to the frame of the set.

Boatcarpenter

Perhaps if you put in your location as is required by the forum, it might help others near you prepare for this event also or at least get the heck outta town!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Only if the Dumbocrats and droids force us to abandon our friends in Iraq and Afghanistan before they can make it on their own. Then maybe we will see a problem but I think the more likely scenario is a dirty bomb that has no EMP whatsoever. Keep your powder dry and aim small miss small. Get to know your neighbors too they will be in it with you if it comes

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My land is surrounded by 6,000 acres of woods. Not to many neighbors, but I'm friends with the guys down the road. If the eletricity is gone, so be it. Mankind survived thousands of years without it. I know half or better of the pop would just curl up and die if the tv and computer stopped working, but quite a few of us will be living quite well. Maybe better than now with less liberal a-holes around.

redpill

Well all I got is 5 acres in town, I'm old and wont survive long without power. When younger, I thought survival training was a walk in the park, but I'd trained for it even before the service. I realize I'm fairly soon dead regardless what bad things happen, but I want to last long enough for my kids to get trained on all the gear I got. It'd be a shame for tons of offensive hardware and provisions to fall into the wrong hands. Anyone got a working complete siesmic detection kit for reasonable $?
As to said unpleasant event, no I no longer can be the cause it, it's been a long time since I've been in USAF/SAC. I hate knowing things before they happen though, been that way all my life. If you want to be here after the show, you better start digging...

redpill

RE: MEP Qs

Plug referenced is the 2 pole slave cable plug receptacle, which I initially thought was the AC output but know better now. Sorry to be new at this stuff I don't have a TM other than Depot maintainance TM copy which is not much help to a newbie, Currently I'm working till I'm frikken fried which doesnt help when trying to learn new stuff. Theres a nice looking Deicer Truck available at MI ANG base Selfridge that sounded like it worked OK. Anyone pick up on it? Auction's over tomorrow.

mangus580

RE: MEP Qs

redpill, you need to put your location in your profile, as specified in the FAQ's on the left. I have asked you via PM to do this, and another member has said it above. Failure to do so before posting one more time, will result in your account being suspended.

If you need any help, please PM me.

redpill

Re: RE: MEP Qs

mangus580 said:
redpill, you need to put your location in your profile, as specified in the FAQ's on the left. I have asked you via PM to do this, and another member has said it above. Failure to do so before posting one more time, will result in your account being suspended.

If you need any help, please PM me.
Sir and gnetlemen:
I'm a proud citizen and former military officer of the USA. Given that the providing locations is listed as optional, I'll provide further details in accordance with appropriate OP/SEC on an ktk basis. If honesty isn't a good enough response, let me know and I'll make something up about being from the coast in Des Moines but I prefer to stick to facts.
Since I have only some questions about a generator, am not attacking anyone, am not selling anything and am being reasonably polite I don't expect that a DNA sample and a drivers license iwould be needed to participate. No disrespect intended and as such, if I can get my genset running I'll not bother anyone further. \

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: MEP Qs

Location is NOT optional. there is one form that makes it appear as so, but the sign-up form requires it, and the rules state it. If you want to continute posting here, put your location in ASAP. Use the FAQs on the left.

redpill

OK a location has been posted as requested, any of my beliefs or knowledge about the future notwithstanding and not up for further discussion and not wanting to be a bother whatsoever, is anyone interested in some new ONAN 24v fuel pumps that look like the ones on my genset?
Maybe I can get a better deal for a group purchace. I'd like a spare or 2 on general principle but I don't know if they are all the same or if there is any difference between them so any feedback would be helpful before I pursue it further.
Much love...

Crash_AF

To answer your technical questions, the two prong plug is a NATO slave recepticle to jump start the unit from other tactical equipment.

Low sulfer fuel is hard on older fuel pumps in any equipment. Biodiesel is much easier on the pumps than standard diesel, but doesn't have a good shelf life and can cause problems with long term storage (IE-gensets).

Ground the unit and it should be relatively safe from EMP, but only if it is not energized at the time of the event. The voltage regulators and all control equipment is what is vulnerable, the generator itself is not.

Good luck with your preparations but I hope you're wrong.

Later,
Joe

acetomatoco

OH WELL, Back to MV shortly.... far from the fringe... I have my strike anywhere wooden matches ready...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks