• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP017A runs!

oilcan

I got a litte help from nitebawler (and kids) today and we got the ole' getset running. Had to tear it apart to change the oil pan, then the carb got replaced. As soon as I find the right spark plug socket I'll dig those out and clean them off (or replace them) because is misses every now and then.
Maybe tomorrow I'll fire it back up and see if the generator does anything!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cool, but I have to say it....nopics

Keep us posted. If you need any assistance with it, I'm not too far away from you.

oilcan

Well, it looks pretty much the same now as it did when it didn't run. Buuuuuuut since you asked nicely...

This pic is when I (we!) picked it up at the GA rally. This is the unit that worked it's way up from Brownsville, TX. Again, thanks to everyone who helped on that!

Attachments

oilcan

Huh? Sorry, I didn't catch that.

I know everyone uses that joke, but I'm not witty enough to make up a new one.
It is pretty loud, but not as obnoxious as I was expecting. I've been thinking of building some kind of quiet enclosure for the traler, or maybe just parking it far enough away so it won't be too much of a problem.
Right now I'm just stoked that it runs!

jbk

get it 75 ft. or so away. i did this and with the house closed could hardly here it. this was my first mil. set enjoyed working on them.

oilcan

Not sure if I want to cramp it up in a small engine can, gimp. I'm sure it'll want some airflow around the set to keep it cool in the summertime. I was thinking more along the lines of rigging some insulated canvas or vinyl over the cargo bows of the trailer with a few strategic openings to let air in and out. I haven't thought the whole thing through yet, but that's what's on my mind.

Carl_in_NH

Have you checked the output of the genset yet? Just curious if it came to life right away for you, or if you have to spend more effort on it.

I've got an MEP-017A coming out of GL at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, ME. I won that auction a few days before someone made the all too obvious point in another post about the gensets that are in desert camo having issues with sand ingestion. I hadn't thought about that factor - live and learn. At least it wasn't too expensive. I haven't picked mine up yet - still waiting for my first EUC to clear Battle Creek.

I'd be curious to hear how yours is working out for you once you get a load hooked up to it. I purchased one because having a 208V/3 phase generator would allow me to run some metalworking machine tools without VFDs (Variable Frequency Drives - for powering 3 phase motors in a single phase only shop), and after our ice storm last December, it's always handy to have more than one genset at your disposal.

-Carl

oilcan

I've been getting into other stuff since I got it running, but should be able to test it with at least some load this week. (?) I really should refresh the manual in my mind before messing with it much more, and it'd probably be smart to drive a ground rod.

Carl_in_NH

Just got my BC approved EUC back for the MEP-017A today - 9 days after GL sent it to BC. Not too bad for my first ever EUC.

Hope to pick up the genset in the next week and will report back.

-Carl

Carl_in_NH

Picked up my MEP-017A yesterday. Chris from GL at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery is great to deal with, BTW. Genset was in generally good shape - built 1/68, generator rebuilt 1/91 with an engine dated 3/88.

Got it home, checked it over, filled the oil, and hooked up a couple extra car batteries I keep around for running radios in power outages. Didn't have one of the standard GI 5 gallon cans around for gas, so I used a plastic tank for the short term. After cranking it over a few times, it filled the carburetor and sputtered to life - for a few moments, then died. I played around with it for a little while, but from the smell it was obvious that it was flooding out. Took the carburetor off today, and found the bowl full of flaky rust and debris. Store 'em wet and it will varnish up, storm 'em dry and outside and they will fill with condensation and rust. Can't win either way, I guess. Long story short, cleaned it all up, bolted it together, dried off the wet plugs, and she fired right up and ran.

Generator has good output, full oil pressure, and starts like a champ now - both on the rope and the electric start, and it would give a headache a headache from 20 feet away. It's louder than the average commercial big-box store generator - but not a lot more. Everything works - all meters, regulator adjustment.

Ended up ordering a bunch of parts from Saturn - including a new carburetor - that will be on hand in the event of failure. Bowl gasket is a little iffy on this carb - and I get a drop forming on the bowl outside every few minutes, so I'll change the carburetor out when the parts arrive.

All in all, I'm pleased.

Now it's time to start hunting for an MEP-003, or maybe something bigger ;-)

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if that set has the 4a032 engine on it, be wary of the new carb as well. The floats on them are foam and supposedly aren't made for gas with ethanol in it. It causes the float to swell and stick over time. There are quite a few threads about in on here.

I want someone who is tearing into one to post some detailed pics of the float and measurements of it.. If I can get some detailed measurements, I'm gonna try to find a float from an atv or small motorcycle or something and jerry rig it in the carb to solve the problem.

Carl_in_NH

The MEP-017A has the 2A042 10 HP 2 cyl engine. The carburetor has an old fashioned brass soldered float in it. Hopefully the new one will as well.

Seems like the 4A032 float could be replaced by something made out of the right kind of plastic that would be safe in ethanol. Would be fairly easy to machine from a chunk of plastic on a mill with a rotary table. Be even easier on a little 4th axis CNC mill. Maybe that's a good basement business - crank them out for the applications that used foam originally.

Finding the right plastic - stable in gasoline and ethanol, and the right density to make a float while retaing enough strength for the pivot ears to work without deforming or wearing out - that's probably the tough part.

-Carl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks