• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP1040 and Remote start questions

Hiperflyer2

Hello all, I am new member and I’ve just purchased an MEP1040-10KW genset on a trailer. I bought it at govplanet auction and all it needed was new filters and batteries, runs great with no problems.
The reason for this post is to ask if anyone has experience with an IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC remote start system? I just got one from Govplanet last week.
Is this system compatible with the newer computer controlled generators?
ive looked thru this group for hours hoping to find manuals for the remote start set with no luck.
Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.
Im going to try and upload photos of both for referance.

thanks in advance and I look forward to following your group.
Hiperliyer2291A7DE0-776B-4E4C-A62C-0F95B5E5EBFD.jpegF54FA66F-733B-4C1D-B73E-48AC0329BB0A.png24E6E464-20D5-41F1-85F7-9E738FCD64F5.pngF6CD3A33-5FE6-4282-8737-8A9DEDA21AFE.jpeg291A7DE0-776B-4E4C-A62C-0F95B5E5EBFD.jpeg374D2D9A-9C15-4000-B22E-573C29DF19B3.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all, I am new member and I’ve just purchased an MEP1040-10KW genset on a trailer. I bought it at govplanet auction and all it needed was new filters and batteries, runs great with no problems.
The reason for this post is to ask if anyone has experience with an IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC remote start system? I just got one from Govplanet last week.
ive looked thru this group for hours hoping to find manuals for the remote start set with no luck.

Hiperliyer2View attachment 850696View attachment 850693View attachment 850694View attachment 850695View attachment 850696View attachment 850697
Welcome to the outfit!

Hiperflyer2 I have to admit that you are not going to get much of an answer out of me... I am a truck guy and not a power making guru like several folks on this site. Just answering up to say congratulations on your new piece of green iron.

By now you should have found the Technical Manuals (TM's) for your MEP1040. There will be a book for the generator and another for the power plant. and another for the trailer. There is also a book on grounding and how to properly ground your genset.

The TM's are free to download - so don't hesitate - and spend a little REALLY BORING time reading the specifics on how to safely operate your new toy.

Again, welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Hiperflyer2

Thanks for the reply, I’ll do some more searching of the TMs.

This is as close as I’ve gotten to green vehicles so far. I do work on quite a few of em but most of em fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
I believe 2 weeks ago I posted in a thread that the IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC remote start system was not compatible. I got that from a CECOM rep. He told me the army would not use it. Perhaps the USMC did, but then you need to find TM's and that may be a problem.

Hiperflyer2

Thanks for the reply, I’ll do some more searching of the TMs.

This is as close as I’ve gotten to green vehicles so far. I do work on quite a few of em but most of em fly.

I believe 2 weeks ago I posted in a thread that the IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC remote start system was not compatible. I got that from a CECOM rep. He told me the army would not use it. Perhaps the USMC did, but then you need to find TM's and that may be a problem.
Thanks for the input Guyfang, both the genset and the remote are USMC issued so I’m hoping that they may be compatible. I believe that the TS stands for “transfer Switch” and that’s the most importantrum function I’m looking for but the rest needs to work at the same time. The G/P listing showed that it was a T/S unit and called it transfer switch function. I just got batteries for it today so hopefully I’ll get a chance to play with it this weekend. Thanks again.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Highflyer2,

The IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC works only with the INI Power Trinity System Flex Fuel Generator

With that being said, before anyone gets any idea's, the CAN BUS REMOTE is disabled on all Military AMMPS 1xX0
only the commercially available AMMPS have the remote start functionality to hook up to a microgrid.

We have been working on a remote start system for those 10X0 since the end of last year with Lockheed Martin.

Hiperliyer2View attachment 850696View attachment 850693View attachment 850694View attachment 850695View attachment 850696View attachment 850697

Hiperflyer2

Highflyer2,

The IG1000-TS-ASKR-USMC works only with the INI Power Trinity System Flex Fuel Generator

With that being said, before anyone gets any idea's, the CAN BUS REMOTE is disabled on all Military AMMPS 1xX0
only the commercially available AMMPS have the remote start functionality to hook up to a microgrid.

We have been working on a remote start system for those 10X0 since the end of last year with Lockheed Martin.

Thanks for the info. Please let us all know if your project comes available for the later computer controlled gen sets.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hiperflyer2,

thanks, this disc will install the remote monitoring software on Laptop/PC
You can see then on Laptop of what you would see on the Display.
The only available functions for remote control are:
1. Stop
2. Output Contactor ON / OFF
3. Output Voltage Adjust

the Laptop needs a USB / CAN converter to connect to the Genset. CAN is basically RS485 on steroids

You still have to start the Genset manually, but you can connect / disconnect already manually started gensets to a micro grid if the paralleling option is enabled on the Genset

I believe the manuals may be on this disc as well

we have all documentation etc we need for this project and have the remote start system up and running. It is currently in its endurance test phase for final approval.

Hey peapvp, is there any info on this disc that could help you with your endeavors towards a remote for the MEP1040?

Hiperflyer2

Highflyer2,

Well folks, peapvp just got his new remote start system finished and fine tuned for the newer MEP-10XX genset’s and he shipped the first one to me to install and test.

All I can say is “WOW” it’s so nice to walk into my shop, 75 feet away from the generator and flip a toggle switch to have the genset start, hot or cold.

His system does so much more than hit the starter,
When I flip the remote switch, it goes into a sequence of , Prime, delay for winterization kit to warm up if needed, start, warm up, idle up,energize contactors.

When I shut it down, it opens the contactors, goes into cool down mode and Then shuts down when cooled off.
His system even monitors FAULT CODES and responds as needed, then it warns you of any issues with and audible
Alarm? TO COOL and it also makes connection to an economy Auto Transfer switch a snap with full function starts possible thru the auto transfer sw.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad but I’m so stoked to have this system and be able to use my MEP 1040 without having to walk down range to start it every time I need it for my shop.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well folks, peapvp just got his new remote start system finished and fine tuned for the newer MEP-10XX genset’s and he shipped the first one to me to install and test.

All I can say is “WOW” it’s so nice to walk into my shop, 75 feet away from the generator and flip a toggle switch to have the genset start, hot or cold.

His system does so much more than hit the starter,
When I flip the remote switch, it goes into a sequence of , Prime, delay for winterization kit to warm up if needed, start, warm up, idle up,energize contactors.

When I shut it down, it opens the contactors, goes into cool down mode and Then shuts down when cooled off.
His system even monitors FAULT CODES and responds as needed, then it warns you of any issues with and audible
Alarm? TO COOL and it also makes connection to an economy Auto Transfer switch a snap with full function starts possible thru the auto transfer sw.

Sorry if this sounds like an ad but I’m so stoked to have this system and be able to use my MEP 1040 without having to walk down range to start it every time I need it for my shop.

just some pics of the auto start system in a AMMPS MEP 1040
82F49F1E-F53B-45F4-8A9C-9A114A040D80.jpeg
A6BEE711-6C98-4ED3-90CB-2C6BF9E0BF68.jpeg

6033B1B1-7815-41A7-856C-3372F3CA717B.jpeg

aFloridaMan

Hey guys, I wanted to refresh this thread. It is indeed possible to control the MEP/AMMPS units via commands sent over a CAN bus link. A gentleman has acquired the list of Cummins commands (PGN's) that will provide all of the commands needed to operate the generator fully remote. The benefit of this approach is that there is no rewiring or placing custom wiring harnesses in series with the existing control circuits. Said another way, this approach uses some software, basic / cheap hardware, and the Cummins-native CAN commands to execute all of the features that are native to the machine-internal controller / control screen.

Thus far, I've acquired a CAN-to-USB adapter and the code / codes from the aforementioned gentleman. Now I need to consolidate and wire this bad boy up and start "poking at it" electronically. I will document my progress and share freely, to help everyone out.

For those of you who are adventurous and want to come along with me, here's the wiring diagram for that mil-spec 7-pin connector on the control panel of the MEPs units. This is a screen cap from the Cummins documents (don't ask how I saw that, it's TSCI ;-) ):

1693345818910.png

I've seen some poor quality information in this thread, so I'm going to inject some comments (here and in the future). Not meant to offend anyone, but I want to share good data with our brothers and sisters, so they don't get frustrated: CAN and RS-485 have only one thing "electronically in common" (for those that care: differential signaling) but they are EXTREMELY different. Don't try to interchange hardware. The voltage levels will not be appreciated.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I can tell that 7 pin CAN connector is not present on the standard AAMPS sets. The "Remote" connector on the DCS is a 14 pin connector and uses RS-485 for communication.
I poked around and from what I could gather only 1060's and 1070's that were specially modified for use in a MicroGrid setup could be remotely started & stopped. It looks like the gensets had an "Advanced DCS" installed in them to allow for remote starting and stopping over a CAN bus so that the MicroGrid setup could start/stop the sets as needed. I can't tell where the CAN interface is though.
Interesting info here ---> MicroGrid

Last edited:

aFloridaMan

As far as I can tell that 7 pin CAN connector is not present on the standard AAMPS sets. The "Remote" connector on the DCS is a 14 pin connector and uses RS-485 for communication.
I poked around and from what I could gather only 1060's and 1070's that were specially modified for use in a MicroGrid setup could be remotely started & stopped. It looks like the gensets had an "Advanced DCS" installed in them to allow for remote starting and stopping over a CAN bus so that the MicroGrid setup could start/stop the sets as needed. I can't tell where the CAN interface is though.
Interesting info here ---> MicroGrid
You're correct. But I believe that the CANBUS is available on all AAMPS, even in the absence of the 7-pin connector. I will probe around to see what is available and let everyone know.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To make a long story short:
It depends on the wiring harness installed in the AMMPS, primarily Plug 3 and which Firmware the ECS is running

There are several versions out in the field now and they are all quite different

It further depends on which board with the DIP switches is installed as these boards vary between the different KW Capacity

IMG_8445.jpeg

IMG_8446.jpeg

and for the 1030, 1040 and 1050

IMG_8447.jpeg

Now you can go and tinker around

As they say, your mileage will vary depending on which Firmware is installed

Note:
Firmware releases are Classified

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks