• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep802 pegged oil pressure gauge

dstang97

So my oil pressure gauge has been pegged on my mep802a. I believe it’s pegged because of the sending unit and not the gauge. I’m guessing it’s the round sensor that looks like a regular old Chevy 350 one. Any one have any leads on these? The ones online are crazy priced from GMG. Has anyone converted the numbers to a auto one?

csheath

Was a recent problem on a member's 803 and it had a stuck oil pressure relief valve.

dstang97

The needle will not return to 0. Just stays pegged. I replaced the guage that had a needle at 0 and the machine pegged that one too. Where is this valve?

jamawieb

Test the sending unit per the TM. The oil pressure relief valve is located on the oil pump and you have to take the side cover off the motor to access it. I would bet that its the sending unit since you changed the gauge and had the same result. Also, if the oil pressure relief valve was giving to much pressure, the motor would not start because it would put to much pressure on the lifters, in turn opening the valves so it could not build pressure to start.

dstang97

I looked briefly at the manuals yesterday. It’s pretty tough reading them on an iPhone. Wish I still had my computer.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
It looks like the unit he purchased is a Sierra 18-5899 Oil Pressure Sender.

millerm13

You said you replaced the gauge, which one did you replace it with?
My gauge is pegged also on my 803a. Checking the sending unit per the TM and it is fine.
I think my gauge is shorted. Looking for a replacement.

dstang97

My gauge is pegged also on my 803a. Checking the sending unit per the TM and it is fine.
Got it from jim Henry. Parts unit. You can also match the ohms and find a gauge that will work.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you checked the wiring at the gauge. The gauges are often miswired.

millerm13

I have, it was previously working fine.
Just started it up the other day and it pegged to the right.
I am going to follow the TM on testing the gauge next.

Zed254

For Oil Pressure Gauge my notes say: Datcon - Oil Pressure Gauge 0-80 PSI 24V - 101574. Look on Ebay for "DATCON 2" PRESSURE GAUGE PART NUMBER 101575" to find something close. However, this one has shiny bezel. 240 ohm resistance matches above referenced oil sender unit.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing I do when presented with a pegged pressure gauge is to use a known good mechanical gauge to verify that the condition the electrical gauge is reading isn't true. Its likely if the oil pressure is pegged out that the lifters will pump up so much to float the valves but that aside I consider it important to have a secondary confirmation of a reading.

Reactions: 98G

Guyfang

Staff member
The first thing I do when presented with a pegged pressure gauge is to use a known good mechanical gauge to verify that the condition the electrical gauge is reading isn't true. Its likely if the oil pressure is pegged out that the lifters will pump up so much to float the valves but that aside I consider it important to have a secondary confirmation of a reading.
Roger, roger, roger!! Find the real problem, fix it. Throwing parts at a gen set will fix it, if your pockets are deep enough. But easyer, cheaper, is proper troubleshooting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks