• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A Smoke- wet stacked, rings or injectors?

JRM

My 803A smokes blue on startup, and at heavy loads- Originally I figured it was wet stacked and had dirty injectors but after looking at the smoke with my videos in other threads have been thinking maybe rings? Here is the winter cold start and summer running videos, is it worth a re-ring & hone or not? its only ran during power outages less than 20 hours a year.
winter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOCWhCYqEo

Summer run test:
Unit was at 105% load on a 70F day, Note that the well pump shut off as I climbed into the bed to film the gauge this only 80% load shown
https://youtu.be/oYUSWdQRKEA

50% load on a 90F day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C37TiizFr8&t=23s

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

we were warned that extended running with out a proper load will cause the muffler to plug you may just have a ton of un burnt sludge in it showing up when you get it hot. Try removing the muffler and see if the smoke goes away, if not I would think injector replacement first, a straight shot from a bad tip, or low popping pressure will cause blue smoke also retarded timing can do this to. the last thing I would worry about is the rings unless you are using a lot of oil.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it consuming any appreciable amount of oil?

Since it will pull a decent load I would not tear into it unless the oil consumption is unpalatable.

Try to run it more. That may resolve the issue. My 803 has a little blue smoke a little till it warms up. I can't tell that its using any oil though. I'm not going to open it up for that.

Chainbreaker

Just out of curiosity how old is your fuel and do you run any additives in your fuel?

If you haven't already, I would try a good fuel additive that has a known good injector cleaning capabilities (Sea Foam Diesel or Lucas or Howe's or Power Service, etc.). I would add in the additive at max recommended ratio, mix well, and run under a good load for at least an hour and then let it sit overnight and run again the next day under load for another hour. Repeat as necessary and see if there is any improvement. If no improvement, then move on to other possible remedies - timing, injector pop-off pressure, valve setting...

snowtrac nome

I would think the same but I think I would try to run it with the muffler removed as those things can fill up. I have seen a lot of lazy operators take a 5 or 10 k out to run some lights coffee pot and a computer for a toc and never get load above 25 percent, unlike you they run them for days that way not a few hours. if your muffler is saturated might take a week of hard running to clear it.

JRM

I did have pencil eraser sized flaming crispy critters coming out of it the first time I ran it hard on a hot summer night, Wish I had taken a video of it! I'm picky about my fuel, its fresh ULSD with 2 quarts of power service white bottle antigel, 8 oz of biocide and 1 quart of 2 stroke oil mixed at 900:1 for pump lube then filtered down to 2 micron :) To many fragile HPFP equipped rigs in the household. tank seen at the 20 second mark in the last video :)

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check the muffler for buildup as suggested. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you can run it satisfactorily at a high load without difficulty and it isn't using significant oil, just keep using it as is.

Guyfang

Staff member
JRM,

Run it, and do it hard. Step it up to 125%. If you had chunks flying out, its best to try burning it out. As long as it spits out chunks, continue to run it. With a muffler that size, it never took more then 4-5 hours, at 125%.

BUT, if it doesn't get better after 4-5 hours, stop.

Get a compression check gage. Before you jump through all the other hoops, check compression. It will show you if maybe its a ring problem, or maybe valve problem. But first do that. If compression is good, then start looking at injectors, tips and pop off presser. Its the easiest and cheapest way to sort out what is, and isn't.

JRM

JRM,

Run it, and do it hard. Step it up to 125%. If you had chunks flying out, its best to try burning it out. As long as it spits out chunks, continue to run it. With a muffler that size, it never took more then 4-5 hours, at 125%.

BUT, if it doesn't get better after 4-5 hours, stop.

Get a compression check gage. Before you jump through all the other hoops, check compression. It will show you if maybe its a ring problem, or maybe valve problem. But first do that. If compression is good, then start looking at injectors, tips and pop off presser. Its the easiest and cheapest way to sort out what is, and isn't.
Wanted to give a update, ran it as hard as my homes wiring would allow and kept it between 60-110% with electric heaters, doing laundry-ect and sure enough blue smoke went away just past the 90 minute mark! Here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWpjFjWCC4&feature=youtu.be

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks