• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP803A Sound Levels

Firebrand

As a working audio-visual professional, I agree that the aluminum carport is actually making your exhaust noise more concentrated, both close to the unit, and out some distance.

We've spent lots of dollars over the years working to keep generator noise OUT of your movie and tv experience!

csheath

As a working audio-visual professional, I agree that the aluminum carport is actually making your exhaust noise more concentrated, both close to the unit, and out some distance.

We've spent lots of dollars over the years working to keep generator noise OUT of your movie and tv experience!
Possibly but my point of sharing was to demonstrate how quiet it is. ;)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's more important than the actual level is the tone of the sound. The lower tones from the MEPs are much less harsh than a higher RPM gas engine.

In the house the sound of the MEP barely comes through. I like hearing it outside purring away confidently.

Bmxenbrett

Has anyone put something line dynamat or some other sound absorption product inside the covers on one of these?

Mine specificly could benefit from a rattling junk look over. Bseams like everything thats not bolted down is rattling and clanking.

robson1015

Has anyone put something line dynamat or some other sound absorption product inside the covers on one of these?

Mine specificly could benefit from a rattling junk look over. Bseams like everything thats not bolted down is rattling and clanking.
Glockfan put some sound insulation in his and also hard head did a fine thread on it.
I would get rid of the door stop hardware first thing.

Guyfang

Staff member
One of the first things anyone does who works a bunch on these things is............ Door stop removal. The darn thing is a pita. Makes Beaucoup noise, and not needed. The same with lifting shackles. And we put some sort of rubber material on the doors, so they didn't rattle so much. Now, I only did this on solder request. They were the customer. But I sure would have done this if I had to live next to the set when it ran.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a spray on sound deadening material from second skin audio. I really like it. I also use 2 inch acoustical fiberglass in my hood where I now route all exhaust. I spray it with a silicon based product to keep the airflow from pealing back the fiberglass layers. Since sound travels up with these units, I had to divert the sound down so you wouldn't hear it in the rooms above it on the second floor. No db issue on the side either since I take care of that in the hood with a diverter. While doing all of this I found that the intakes were starving the exhaust. I found that the small door on the right under the control panel was the culprit. It blocks almost all the air intake on that side. So I cut out the tool storage compartment which was touching the intake diverter and put some expanded metal in it. Airflow issue resolved! I fix the door stops and lifting rings to. I also use a rubber stall mat from the farm supply to sit the generator on. That helps with vibration also.

Firebrand

No disrespect meant to OP but just speaking from professional experience. I DO get how relatively quiet these units are compared to the commercial screamers found on the big box shelves which is one of the key reasons I purchased one in the first place. I will be removing my door stops as they are quite the pain in the neck and I have one damaged to boot.

Josephml21

i just got my gen going today. It runs my house only draws 10 to 15 percent is this a problem?
Yes it's an issue. These sets are made to run with a load on them. Look up "wet stacking". You can try and add resistive loads such a electric heaters to add more load to your set but honestly it sounds like you really needed a 802 instead of a 803.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks