• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep803a stopped producing power

Gfern3686

I’m having a problem with this new mep 803a I got and would like to run it by you guys. First off if I’m posting this in the wrong area I apologize, I’m still figuring out how the forums work. The generator was running and producing power for about 8 hours when suddenly it lost power. The generator still runs but is not producing any power to the lugs or receptacle, however when I hold S1 in the start position it does produce power. I checked the fuses and found the 3 amp fuse Mod on the voltage regulator was bad. Replaced it with a new one and the generator wouldn’t start (over voltage fault). I briefly did a visual check of all the wiring and everything appeared to be in order. During a check of the diodes I noticed V5 was bad. I ordered a replacement but will take some time to arrive. Will a bad V5 diode cause thIs problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully you replaced the fuse with the correct current rating.
V5 isn't a diode. V5 is a surge suppressor. If you tested it like you would a diode it would appear "bad". I'm sure it's not.
You ought to recheck the fuse you replaced next to the voltage regulator. See if it's blown.
You may have a bad A1 voltage regulator. If the 3 amp fuse blows it usually is due to the voltage regulators internal diode bridge shorting out. The fuse mod is there to protect the Quad winding in the generator head from being damaged should the regulator fail.

Gfern3686

Hopefully you replaced the fuse with the correct current rating.
V5 isn't a diode. V5 is a surge suppressor. If you tested it like you would a diode it would appear "bad". I'm sure it's not.
You ought to recheck the fuse you replaced next to the voltage regulator. See if it's blown.
You may have a bad A1 voltage regulator. If the 3 amp fuse blows it usually is due to the voltage regulators internal diode bridge shorting out. The fuse mod is there to protect the Quad winding in the generator head from being damaged should the regulator fail.
Thanks kloppk, the fuse I used was FNQ-r-3 600vac 3amp cc. It was a direct replacement from the one removed. I just tested it and it is still good. On another note I noticed the hour meter was disconnect with the exposed connector resting against the generator panel. Could this have created a short in the system?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Experiencing a failure when the last thing you need is one, puts spare parts and knowledge of the TMs a lot higher in the food chain to me. I would take this opportunity to think about what other components you might want to consider putting on the shelf, that would allow a genset to continue to generate power, versus be a lawn ornament.

Gfern3686

That’s good advice. I was so worried about engine maintenance I over looked the other half, the part that actually produces power. I’m a first time mep owner, what other parts should I keep on hand?

Guyfang

Staff member
That’s good advice. I was so worried about engine maintenance I over looked the other half, the part that actually produces power. I’m a first time mep owner, what other parts should I keep on hand?

That question will get you 10,00,000 answers. All different.

Experiencing a failure when the last thing you need is one, puts spare parts and knowledge of the TMs a lot higher in the food chain to me. I would take this opportunity to think about what other components you might want to consider putting on the shelf, that would allow a genset to continue to generate power, versus be a lawn ornament.
Belts filters oils fluids
fuses fuel pump fuel injectors if you can find them alternator and yes a voltage regulator would be a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks