• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP806a Questions

abh3

First of all let me make it clear used the search function but couldn't find anything on 'MEP806a', 'MEP-806a' or 'MEP 806a', go figure...

Is this unit a 12 wire that can be reconfigured to 240 single phase for residential/ farm use? Any pitfalls or weak links in these?

Thanks for any info.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is a 12 lead head since the TM says you can get 120/208 or 240/416 out of it. But at 60 KW, that is one big honking generator....I hope you have a large load for it. Since it is liquid cooled "wet-stacking" is going to be a very real and major concern with it.

brianrbull

This is a Military Gen and while it is a 12 wire there is no "Standard" setting for single phase. There is a "Reconnect" board that switches it between 120/208 & 240/416. A knowledgeable Generator Mechanic could probably reconfigure it to provide single phase but it will not be in the TM. and as Speddmon pointed out it is a 60kw (Rated at 8000 feet and 125f) So you will need a serious load to keep it from wet stacking.

abh3

Wired for single phase it would be slightly derated and since 200A is 48kw it might be right for 8 or so RVs, an all electric hunting clubhouse and a barn w. welders, large air compressor, etc... This would be an emergency use rig since we have line power at this location.

derf

I suspect 60kW might drink 60 gallons a day.
Not really but the military doesn't care how much fuel costs. Civilians usually do.

PeterD

I suspect 60kW might drink 60 gallons a day.
Not really but the military doesn't care how much fuel costs. Civilians usually do.

Great response! But my math says at 60 KWH, you are looking at about 6 to 8 gallons per hour, so if run for 24 hours, it will be even worse! (perhaps a couple of hundred gallons!) :jumpin:

The MEP-004 (15 KW) drinks about 1 to 1.5 gallon per hour for comparison.

Stonepicker1

FYI,
The generator set can be operated continuously at any load from no load up to and including rated
load. However, at light loads (less than 25% of set rating), an oily residue (unburned fuel oil) may
occasionally be noticed In the exhaust system outlet and around connection joints in the exhaust
system. This residue is caused by the inability of the fuel injection system to consistently meter the
small amount of fuel required to operate at these low load levels and is not a defect in the fuel
system. The oily residue could affect engine performance and create a cosmetic problem on and
around the generator set. Operation at rated load will burn off this oily residue. The length of time
required at rated load depends on the amount of residue. The muffler may also need to be removed
and cleaned if excessive build up occurs. This oily residue can be prevented by increasing the electrical​
load on the set.

Stonepicker1

Great response! But my math says at 60 KWH, you are looking at about 6 to 8 gallons per hour, so if run for 24 hours, it will be even worse! (perhaps a couple of hundred gallons!) :jumpin:

Right out of the TM:
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
Fuel Tank (18).​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]The fuel tank is located below the engine and between the skid base side members. The fuel
tank has a capacity of 43 gallons (162.7 liters) which will allow the generator set to operate for at least 8 hours

without refueling.

PeterD

All I can say is "ouch", 120+ gallons in a 24 hour period! I'd have to be :cookoo: to try that at my place! :jumpin:

Roughly $0.34/KWH in fuel costs alone--not cheap by any computation.

derf

My Kubota 13kW drinks 1.24 gal/hr at full load.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks