• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP831a inverter trouble

Randy B

Hey new to site and bought my first military generator. I bought a MEP831A runs fine. Not making voltage. Took inverter apart and found a few blown fuses. Have ordered some, and planned on replacing. Hoping not something else down stream out. If there is, does anyone know where to get another inverter? Or more detailed prints?

Thanks Randy

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably something wrong downstream. You'll certainly find out after you r er place them and if they blow again. Normally the fuses don't blow unless something is seriously wrong with the inverter.
I've torn into a few that had some seriously burnt components and one with holes burned thru the circuit boards.
Replacement inverters are like hens teeth.
If the inverter is toast and you can't locate a replacement I sell conversion kits to ditch the PMA and inverter and swap in a conventional gen head.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey new to site and bought my first military generator. I bought a MEP831A runs fine. Not making voltage. Took inverter apart and found a few blown fuses. Have ordered some, and planned on replacing. Hoping not something else down stream out. If there is, does anyone know where to get another inverter? Or more detailed prints?

Thanks Randy
Welcome to the Outfit!

Might be a real benefit for you to download the TM's for your MEP.
There are troubleshooting flow charts in "them thar books".

dav5

Probably something wrong downstream. You'll certainly find out after you r er place them and if they blow again. Normally the fuses don't blow unless something is seriously wrong with the inverter.
I've torn into a few that had some seriously burnt components and one with holes burned thru the circuit boards.
If the inverter is toast and you can't locate a replacement I sell conversion kits to ditch the PMA and inverter and swap in a conventional gen head.
I acquired two 831A's, both with 2.2 hrs after reset. The inverters on both were faulty. After exhaustive trouble shooting with Kurt it was found that I could only get power from one of them with battle short on. I bought Kurt's conversion kit and installed it with the Mecc Alte gen head. It was easy to install, is trouble free and provides more output.
My 2nd 831A was supposed to be a parts machine but I couldn't resist repairing it so now it is a backup generator. The inverter doesn't like damp so I have to run it with the idiot light on until it dries out then shut it off and restart it which clears the fault. I'm pretty sure this is a warning that the inverter is going to fail in the future. If I needed the generator I wouldn't hesitate to convert it too with Kurt's kit.
It is not worth spending hours and hours trying to repair a machine that has inherent defects.

Randy B

Can I get more info on your kit please.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks