• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEPs and Hurricane Irma

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it's generator test time. For real. Power went out 3 hrs ago - fired off the MEP803 I bought last year during Hurricane Matthew. She's purring just fine - even in the torrential rain and tropical storm strength wind. Praying for the folks in Florida - anyone else giving their genny's a shakedown??

csheath

Power went off here at 6:30. 803A is humming along and wife is in the shower. As soon as she is done I will turn the water heater back on and check the current draw.

Our water heater has two 4500 watt elements but I don't know if they run in unison. Edit: I googled dual element water heater operation and learned only one element will be on at any time.

I may have to run the clothes dryer to keep some load on it.

Edit: Turned water heater on and only saw a 20 amp rise in current consumption. House is only drawing 2 amps to run a few lights and TV. I assume a few more when refrigerator cycles. I turned on the water to make the well pump cycle and current jumped to 40 amps when the pump started and settled back to 32 with well and water heater running.

This will be our first extended outage with the MEP and right now we are just experiencing high winds. Winds are getting higher as I type so I probably won't go back out to unit unless I have to.

Last edited:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to check out my MEP005 the day before hurricane Harvey. The engine wouldn't turn over. Checked batteries, they were good. Found that starter solenoid was engaging butter starter wasn't turning. I gave the started several wacks with a hammer, and it started just fine. Good thing, because I had to run it several times while power was out.
Went to check my MEP003. It wouldn't start. Found I wasn't getting fuel to the IP. I removed the filters at the bottom of the fuel pumps and lightly pushed up the check valves (white ball). It then fired right up (well as fast as those things usually start).
All this reinforced that I should have been starting these things up every month or so. Letting these things sit for long periods of time results in problems. Don't forget keeping them on a battery maintainer.

csheath

I went to check out my MEP005 the day before hurricane Harvey. The engine wouldn't turn over. Checked batteries, they were good. Found that starter solenoid was engaging butter starter wasn't turning. I gave the started several wacks with a hammer, and it started just fine. Good thing, because I had to run it several times while power was out.
Went to check my MEP003. It wouldn't start. Found I wasn't getting fuel to the IP. I removed the filters at the bottom of the fuel pumps and lightly pushed up the check valves (white ball). It then fired right up (well as fast as those things usually start).
All this reinforced that I should have been starting these things up every month or so. Letting these things sit for long periods of time results in problems. Don't forget keeping them on a battery maintainer.
I have mine on a monthly test cycle. I run it for an hour or two with a 40 amp load once a month. Yesterday was it's scheduled test but I had already done it last Thursday in anticipation of this storm. I use the calendar in my cell phone to remind me of test days. You can create an event and tell it to repeat monthly forever so you only have to create the calendar entry one time.

csheath

Having trouble keeping a significant load on during use. Everything builds up to pressure or temperature and cycles off. I will probably need to connect the load bank after power returns and run my unit under full load for a while.

NATCAD

Having trouble keeping a significant load on during use. Everything builds up to pressure or temperature and cycles off. I will probably need to connect the load bank after power returns and run my unit under full load for a while.
Hi Heath, why not shut down for a few hours and cycle back on later

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry about it while you are in the midst of the event. Cycling load off and on is much better than just idling.

Load bank it for a couple of hours when its over and you'll be fine. How it performs on the bank will tell you if you accumulated anything. I expect you won't have much if anything in there.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any space heaters laying around you can plug in? Or run an AC? How about a turkey... got any you could cook off for a few hours? Last run on my 803 included my wife roasting a few chickens and running the clothes dryer. It was happy.

Haoleb

You know you have an 803 as your backup gen when you run around the house trying to find things to turn on to keep a good load on it instead of going around the house running one thing at a time trying not to stall it out.

:)

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is so true. I thought I needed 10kw when I picked up a 003. It was grossly oversized BUT I love how smooth the 4cyl machines are versus the twins.

So, thats why I have 3 MEPs for my personal use. :)

csheath

Just turned the clothes dryer back on and the oven. Reading 42 amps load so that should clean it up some. Ran out of laundry to do so we are going to bake cookies.

Guyfang

Staff member
I am going to rant here, as it's mostly just us girls. If a few of the people here in the forum, and 100% of the folks peaking around the forum curtains, take anything home from all this hurricane business, I hope it's just these few things.

1. Get prepared. Its way too late to start collecting things you need when the storm surge is at the door. The way to know what to have, is to follow rules 2&3.

2. Get smart on your generator. That doesn't mean crowing to the beer buddies about "My back up generator". It means getting ALL the documents concerning your gen set, AND figuring out ahead of time what the Casa pulls for a load. And studying it. READ THE FUC*ING manuals! The two guys that didnt know they had to open the control panel and turn the voltage reconnection switch to the right position, and had to ask in the middle of 100 MPH+ winds, wern't even the worst ones to ask for help. The guy who didnt know he had to hold the start switch up a tad longer, or to hold the AC interrupter switch up longer to close the K1, were just as bad. Simple stuff. But you know, it's a different deal when the wolf's at the door. You just do not have time to read the book.

3. Train like you are going to war. If you want to find out what it's all about, then hook the house up, and run it a day. Because it's not like running a load bank. You need to find that out, when it's still possible to turn the lights on, if you have to. Finding out in the middle of a hurricane is dumb. It is good that most of the people here in the forum use a load bank every so often. But I say again, train like you are going to war.

4. Share your experiences. We called it After Action Reports. Or Lessons Learned. What works. What did not work. And what can be bettered. And I have to admit, the core members here, do that well.

5. Make a checklist. Follow it. Do it the same way every time. Get your wife or one of the kids to at least watch. Make sure that if you are not home, someone can get things rolling SAFELY. And a check list is super smart for folks that are a bit unsure of themselves. It's not rocket science, but safety should always come fires.

6. If you're not a certified electrician, get someone who is, to hook up your rig, or at least look it over. That's part of safety. Its also a part of being smart. Having extension cords running all over, using the wrong size cables, having loose connections, unsafe connections, is not good. Do it right. Do it smart.

All in all, there was very little chaos and confusion from Forum members. And that's good. But some threads, (from on the spot new members) were just unbelievable. And I had a lot of PM's from folks who wanted help, but didnt want to look foolish. I could have really had a good laugh, if it wasn't for the fact that these people were in the middle of a hurricane, and asking for help.

So why don't one of you guys start a thread, call it Power Generation After Hurricane Report. And don't start now! Wait a week or two. Think about it. Some people may still be on TAC POWER, they can still toss in their two cents worth. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Take care all, and I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Guy

Bmxenbrett

Getting to know your unit can really help in the time of need like Guyfang said. Do a load test at night and a test run on your house on a rainy day. Most likely wont be sunny and 80* when the power goes out.

Make sure you print out the important parts of the TM. If not print the whole thing. Wire diagrams included. No power usualy means no internet.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to rant here, as it's mostly just us girls. If a few of the people here in the forum, and 100% of the folks peaking around the forum curtains, take anything home from all this hurricane business, I hope it's just these few things.

1. Get prepared. Its way too late to start collecting things you need when the storm surge is at the door. The way to know what to have, is to follow rules 2&3.

2. Get smart on your generator. That doesn't mean crowing to the beer buddies about "My back up generator". It means getting ALL the documents concerning your gen set, AND figuring out ahead of time what the Casa pulls for a load. And studying it. READ THE FUC*ING manuals! The two guys that didnt know they had to open the control panel and turn the voltage reconnection switch to the right position, and had to ask in the middle of 100 MPH+ winds, wern't even the worst ones to ask for help. The guy who didnt know he had to hold the start switch up a tad longer, or to hold the AC interrupter switch up longer to close the K1, were just as bad. Simple stuff. But you know, it's a different deal when the wolf's at the door. You just do not have time to read the book.

3. Train like you are going to war. If you want to find out what it's all about, then hook the house up, and run it a day. Because it's not like running a load bank. You need to find that out, when it's still possible to turn the lights on, if you have to. Finding out in the middle of a hurricane is dumb. It is good that most of the people here in the forum use a load bank every so often. But I say again, train like you are going to war.

4. Share your experiences. We called it After Action Reports. Or Lessons Learned. What works. What did not work. And what can be bettered. And I have to admit, the core members here, do that well.

5. Make a checklist. Follow it. Do it the same way every time. Get your wife or one of the kids to at least watch. Make sure that if you are not home, someone can get things rolling SAFELY. And a check list is super smart for folks that are a bit unsure of themselves. It's not rocket science, but safety should always come fires.

6. If you're not a certified electrician, get someone who is, to hook up your rig, or at least look it over. That's part of safety. Its also a part of being smart. Having extension cords running all over, using the wrong size cables, having loose connections, unsafe connections, is not good. Do it right. Do it smart.

All in all, there was very little chaos and confusion from Forum members. And that's good. But some threads, (from on the spot new members) were just unbelievable. And I had a lot of PM's from folks who wanted help, but didnt want to look foolish. I could have really had a good laugh, if it wasn't for the fact that these people were in the middle of a hurricane, and asking for help.

So why don't one of you guys start a thread, call it Power Generation After Hurricane Report. And don't start now! Wait a week or two. Think about it. Some people may still be on TAC POWER, they can still toss in their two cents worth. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Take care all, and I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Guy
I was one of those people. I had just got the units and had not had time to do any significant research on them. You don't have to be an arrogant DH. You really don't. At least we weren't too proud to ask for help, and I do appreciate the help I received. I own a plumbing and electrical supply house. I help people every day. That's what I do. People, like me, can ask some really ignorant questions. If I talked down to my customers like you just talked down to me, I'd be bankrupt in 6 months.

But hey, I have thick hide, and I'm a forgiving kind of guy. Rant on mate.

Zed254

I guess we can all see some of ourselves in Guy's rant. I've been running the snot out of my 2 generators to the point my neighbors are beginning to make jokes about me (to my face !!!) sitting for 2 to 3 hours reading magazines with my ear muffs on while my machine grunts on at 100% PF ...... and I thought I was prepared. I'm talking I am PROUD of my NIIIIICE machines. I've only had it powering the house ONE time and that was when the Electrician was wiring my main disconnect box with the breaker kit.....for something like 15 minutes.

I guess I'm not quite as prepared as I thought.

Heal that thick skin up and keep asking questions. I plan to.

Oh, and welcome to Guy's Girls Club.......;)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To Guy's point... these machines, for as complex and overwhelming as they can be for someone starting out... can be as equally deadly if you don't know the basics. If you don't have an understanding of the basic operation, its no different than asking some office worker somewhere to grab some black iron pipe and cut and thread it on a threading machine (to use an analogy close to you) with no training... would you? Is there a chance for serious bodily injury without knowing the basics of the machine/mechanism?

We've all been there... wrong spot, wrong time, wrong info (or lack thereof). You are NOT the first person to ask about the reconnection switch... not by a long shot. Won't be the last either. It is a pretty basic functional part of how you operate this machine though, and it is addressed in the manual pretty clearly. From my short time here, Guy will help out ANYONE... who has put the time in and 'cracked the books'. If you still can't figure out the problem, he is glad to help. But if the basic has not been covered, he's not doing it for you.

jamawieb

I was one of those people. I had just got the units and had not had time to do any significant research on them. You don't have to be an arrogant DH. You really don't. At least we weren't too proud to ask for help, and I do appreciate the help I received. I own a plumbing and electrical supply house. I help people every day. That's what I do. People, like me, can ask some really ignorant questions. If I talked down to my customers like you just talked down to me, I'd be bankrupt in 6 months.

But hey, I have thick hide, and I'm a forgiving kind of guy. Rant on mate.
I really don't think guy is being arrogant. He is trying to help people prepare, it doesn't take much time to read and exercise the machine each month. I know everyone has very busy lives but when your faced with a deadly situation and you can't keep your family safe because you didn't have enough time to learn about your machine, kind of makes people who prepare, irritated. We want to help but we can't, when you the SHTF.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks