• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Messing with TankLady's tank

LanceRobson

Well, if I were more organized this thread would have started a few months ago when the M41A1 Walker Bulldog TankLady AKA Angie G. and her hubby Jack G. (for the old timers in the MV hobby-40 years or so) own was running a might under the weather...

The power pack is out and we're working on a low power issue so we can get to a transmission issue (have you noticed that sometimes with MVs your projects have projects?).

So, as of last week the engine still was pretty rough so we did a compression test which came up fine, checked out the condition and resistance of the ignition wiring harness, re-timed the magnetos yadda, yadda yadda, BS, BS, BS, ad nauseum.

Hmm....

So we put the whole thing in the "too hard box" for another week (we only get about 5 hours a week to deal with it), ordered 12 new plugs, lead substitute, fuel stabilizer etc and came back to it today.

After gapping the plugs and installing them the engine fired on the first crank and ran better than it has in quite a while but it was not firing on all cylinders at first which resulted in some pretty good back-fires out of both carbs and a lot of balls of yellow-orange flame out of the exhaust stubs. As it warmed up all the cylinders came on line and the only issue was excessive orange and blue flame at the stubs.

After some thought we re-timed the magnetos a few degrees more advanced and gave it another try.

Now it runs a bunch better, accelerates to the governed speed without hesitation and after it is warm it has no visible flame except for the fraction of a second after the throttle is let off. But, it is still getting a lot more fuel than it needs so next week we'll check the carb float level, adjust the jets and idles screws. We also need to hunt down new points after which we'll need to re-time the mags and check the timing and gap on all the mag lobes to be sure they are all good.

Why didn't we take up stamp collecting? At any rate with any luck we'll be putting the power pack in sometime in August and get onto the late shift issue.

A couple of years ago when their DUKW had a oil related engine failure and it got re-powered I was supposed to document the rebuild and re-power. OK, I'm a slug and we got too involved with the work to document it. I'll try to be a better boy this time....

So, enjoy the pics. With any luck one of Jack and Angie's grandkids will come by and teach me how to use the video and sound feature on the camera. As you can see all of us are old enough to fart dust and that is beyond our comprehension.

Lance

Edit: The captions didn't follow the images so here goes. Starting with the first image:

1 The patient.
2. The money pit.
3.The two boxey looking curvy thingies on the sides are the fuel tanks. This critter gets a whopping 0.7 MPG... But only if the wrench turners have done everything correctly, if not things could even get pricey.
4. Pump priming for the first crank.
5. Turning fuel into noise. Harley owners take note.... "That's not an exhaust. THIS is an exhaust!"
6. Ball of flame? What ball of flame?
7. Eye of newt, wing of bat...
8. The guy in the middle is Jack G. Mr. G won't smile again until he can drive his tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Can I come up there and just hand ya wrenches and stuff??:)
I ain't much good for nuthin but I can get in the way REALLY good!!

That's a project I would LOVE to see progress in person.
Thank you for sharing the pics.:beer:

LanceRobson

PB, all of us have our own MVs, antique tractors, hit 'n miss engines, generators etc to deal with but the M41A1 and the DUKW get some special lovin'.

I came home to the #5 son (age 19) working to get his 1954 John Deere B ready to mount a newly acquired set of the original style wheels along with the new rubber to finish his latest resto.

The #1 son (age 31) was in the big shop this AM renewing the fuel supply and retun lines on his 1953(?) Studebaker M35A2 with a water purification (now an RV ) box body.

Maybe we did something right because they all have some degree of internal combustion related disease.

With any luck we'll have the DUKW out in Skaneateles Lake trolling for lake trout or rainbow trout sometime this summer...

If you sweet talk Miss Nancy (she's sucker for southern accents) we have several empty bedrooms inasmuch as only the two youngest are still home and then only on college breaks. Maybe you could hook up with the Augusta side of the family who come up every fall for the new season wines. (it's an excuse, but a fun one)

Come on up, we'll show you the right way to do barbeque.

Lance

wehring

great pic

Won't smile again 'till.... now THAT is a great (funny) pic. You better get to work!

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

LanceRobson

I have TankLady's permission to unearth some of the pic archive of their hoard. It'll include pics of the M41A1 shooting blanks and tearing up one of Jack's hay fields etc and, if I can lay my crumb snatchers on them, trolling for trout with the DUKW

Throw in the wrecker, bridge truck, M123A1C w/M172 trailer, Clark CA1 airborne bulldozer and attachments, bomb trailers with bombs (Attn. AFT-INERT bombs ,thank you very much), M38A1, M100. early M105, Ben Hur trailers and a couple of buildings full of assorted green rolling stock.

If someone commits to some beer at a rally I'll post some pics of TankLady's 75mm pack howitzer (her's mind you-definitely NOT communal property). Additionally, this part may involve a bribe to her of a gin and tonic :p

BTW, they have working period radios for a lot of the fleet. There's a commo shelter racked out for storing them in a controlled environment.

It should be a fun trip through memory lane.

I strongly suggest you don your bib before opening that thread....

And, no, if you are not in the NY-PENN MVCC we aren't telling where the end of the rainbow is...

Lance

Last edited:

LanceRobson

So, we have been concerned with the possible effects of worn magnetos that could be 60 years old and monkeyed with a gazillion and times with all the challenges of eliminating potential ignition related causes of the low power.

To be blunt, one issue for me in trying to advise someone else on what is appropriate to make this thing work as designed has been the cost of parts. There aren't many of these magnetos around anymore and the principal modern use is in classic aircraft engines so you need to be prepared to pay accordingly. Just finding breaker assemblies (AKA points) has been a PITA.

So, today that changed. We found a surplus dealer who has a batch of the correct Bendix-Scintilla S6LN-32 (PN 797214) mags that are government contract remanufactured and at a killer price.

Two are on the way and should be here Friday so on next Tuesday we should have them installed and see how the engine runs. I'll try to get some video with sound.

Wish us luck.

Lance

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought helicopters were the coolest until I saw these pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grd:

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice stuff, and we think helping the Allen County Historical Society with their Sherman was fun........ My oh my, You folks are just having more fun than any one person should legally be allowed to.:p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks