• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mid Michigan Get together Idea

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been toying with the Idea of a MV get together here in the Huron National Forest.

The forest service has some 2-track areas with 'Primative Camping' sites (i.e. dig your latrine, pack in your water & bring a flashlight) along & near the AuSable River Each site alows 2 or 3 tents or campers, with room for a few trucks. I'd be sleeping in the M886. There are also nearby cabins / motels in the $35-$50 a night range. I can get a party tent to set up on a site for everyone to hang out at, (it's one of those white things without sides) Anyone have a large canvas one?????

I was thinking like Memorial weekend, What a better way to celebrate it than roughing it out in the wilderness with the MV's !
Not far from the YAF museum at the former Wurthsmith AFB, be neat to convoy over to there. (I'll check with them on their Mem day plans.)
Get enough people to come & we could also WOW a small town Memorial Parade, giving the Vets something to ride in.

There are miles & miles of forest roads a few single tracks, but few serious off roading areas.

Rain or Shine, Mud or Dust

odjeeper

Wow, not too much interest here in the event ideas for mid-Michigan this summer? Thank you for the welcome Steelsoldiers, I think that my signature is properly filled out now, we shall see.

odjeeper

I certainly did not mean to hi-jack Bob H's thread, and apologize to him if it seems so. The intent was only to offer my assistance to him if he wanted to get something started and provide some alternatives if he was interested. I used to work over by Glennie in the national forest and know it has some great trails. If he wanted to consider some other locations, that is why I mentioned the Grayling thing for the end of July. As for bringing non-restored vehicles, those are more interesting to me personally, these trucks were designed to work for a living and it is good to see that some of them still do.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey no problem, a mid michigan get together is a mid michigan get together.!

I usually head down to the river for the canoe marathon, it starts in Grayling it comes within a couple miles of home on it's way to Oscoda.

I am still planning on a Memorial weekend campout in the forest along the river.
The area that I'm looking at allows 2 vehicles per camp site and 2 to 3 tents.
The sites will need to be reserved fairly soon, as the snow melts people start reserving the sites for their weekend getaways.

meckanic

OK, We got a tent.
Everyone interested bring some camping gear; Stoves, lanterns, trucks, cots

Set up that mans tent, coordinate a day and night run.

I would be game for this idea too.

ojsdna744

This thread is over a year old fellas, but if one of you want to organize a get-together like this for this year here in Michigan, I'd be interested in the date! :roll:

We are talking MEMORIAL DAY next May, right? That'll be the weekend of 25-28 MAY, 2007. I'll put it on the calendar. That'll be between the Fort Custer ride and the Antiques Festival at Midland.

Somehow, I'm missing about 7 of the 15 posts on this thread and missed something important, I know.

Hey, Rattlehead! Missed you at the biker rally this year.

Ojsdna744: We do have the Color Tour at Grayling the weekend of September 21-24. ODJEEPER will probably correct that to the 19th through the 24th. But it''s mostly for the weekend.

Anyhoo, $10 pre-registration plus $10 to join either the Great Lakes MVPA OR The Michigan Museum of Military Transport. Membership required for insurance purposes. (Unless you're already a member, then it's only the registration.)

On-site, primitive camping. Bring your own food, plus dish to pass for Sat night.
THIS IS A FAMILY FRIENDLY EVENT!!!! Bring the spouse, the kids, the kids friends, the grandkids.

But, we could start something for next Memorial Day, too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks