• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mil Radio for 80 meters

mm58

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a mil radio for mobile use that could work 80 meters (3.5 to 4.0 mhz).

I'd like it to be able to do SSB Phone and minimum power out of 50 to 100 watts.

Don't know if such a thing exists but I'd like to put a mil radio in my Pinzgauer.

Thanks!

Mike

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the military HF rigs will not do LSB (normal on 80m), being USB only. Some are switchable so be sure that's on your check list.

There is also the British Clansman series UK/RT-320. Many are available so prices are lower, and there are several LSB conversions for 80 and 40m. You can buy one with switchable LSB/USB already installed. Nice radios. 30 Watts output where many other MIL radios are less.

mm58

Thanks for all the swift replies! I'm still open to all suggestions but I must admit the Clansman 320 has definitely piqued my interest.

Mike

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the swift replies! I'm still open to all suggestions but I must admit the Clansman 320 has definitely piqued my interest.

Mike

If you get a 320, remember to ALWAYS move the 'frequency range' switch clockwise. You can destroy the switch by going counterclockwise. There is a PRC-320 site on groups.io that will have lots of info and links to the manuals.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, yes, I do own a 320 with most of the 'kit' as well as a 319, but find the 319 a lot less useful overall. The 319 was made to send and receive burst speed text messages and was built for SAS units to do clandestine communications avoiding your position being triangulated. IE, send your signal in a two second burst, then move.

mm58

As much as I like the 320, I'm thinking now more of vehicle type radios rather than manpack.

The Pinzgauer was equipped with two RT-524's and a single R-442. That would be cool and period accurate (cold war), but would only allow me to get on 6m.

Still trying to find something capable of 80/40/20 if it's out there.

Thanks

Mike
KD7VRG
Tucson, AZ

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AN/GRC-19 is the way to go then. A beautiful radio set.

The later replacement GRC-106 is a nest of problems.

It makes 100W, high-level plate modulated power in AM, far superior to SSB in emergencies.

Get your 100A alternator ready, too.

DG

Last edited:

cagosti

AN/GRC-19 is the way to go then. A beautiful radio set.

The later replacement is a nest of problems.

It makes 100W, high-level plate modulated power in AM, far superior to SSB in emergencies.

Get your 100A alternator ready, too.

DG
What exactly makes AM modulation something abandoned in the 60 “superior” in an emergency.

papakb

Amplitude Modulation for long range comms on HF is the world wide standard. It just works. The military started moving away from HF comms with the advent of SATCOM until they realized how fragile satelites are. You can take one out with a good fighter and a "cheap" missile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks