• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military motorcycle models and makes

krall

Hello all, I am looking to find a military motorcycle to restore bit am unable to just put in a search " military motorcycle" so I am looking for some kind of guide of what makes were used in what eras and modles. You don't have to be an expert on every one just tell me what you know to be true and I will start a list if anyone is intrested pleas ask I will be glad to help. Also anyone know of a good project bike for sale I would love to hear from you as well. I'm in lower Pa but will travel to the Mississippi river for the right bike. I do shows here and there so mabie we can meet up along the way thanks
krall

Last edited by a moderator:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are motorcycles from just about every war. I scoured the internet until I found my bike. I just bought it today...1942 indian model 741. in WWII there were harleys and indians. The indians were 641, 741 and 841 models. I'm not sure about harleys.

Go to G503.com. they've got a good section on bikes.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently bought a 1986 KLR250 that was used by the USMC. The military bought more of them around 1991 and called them a M1030. A few years later they upgraded to the KLR650 and called them a M1030B1. The bikes differ very little from their civilian counterparts so it wouldn't take much to convert a civilian bike in to a military clone. Right after I got the military KLR250 I came across a civilian model KLR650 and I plan on doing it up as a military clone.

Also, the link below gives a breakdown of some of the different military bikes. Honda XR250's were used also and would be easy to convert a civilian version to a military clone too.

MILITARY MOTORCYCLES AND SCOOTERS

As far as trying to search the internet sometimes you have to try different words. Might try "military klr650", "military Harley", "army klr650", or "army bike".

Ruppster

Last edited:

wehring

Klr

I have an Olive Drab KLR 650 (M1030B1 style) available. It has the extended range 7gal translucent fuel tank. Ready to ride with a clear TX title. Lots of extras. $2250

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

krall

ruppster, thanks that was a good link and so was the g503 bigmike, I appreciate the help, I am more going for a road bike not really the dirt bike style, mabie something in the 70's or 80's, this era is kindof the hard time to look, for me that is, there are plenty old models, indian and harleys and the newer dirt bikes. I like the old school look but this is my first project so I don't want to go taking on a BSA m20 or anything like that, mabie more of a military police bike in the late 80's or something like that. any ideas?

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, a military police bike from the late 80's would have been the KLR250 like I have. They sell parts to drop the suspension down for those that don't like the tall seat height. Plus the engine can be bumped up to a 370 for more power if you want to be able to cruise on the highway. I have some pics of my '86 KLR250 at the link below.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/motorcycles-atvs/54722-got-new-toy-usmc-klr250-almost-m1030.html

The nice part with these bikes is it doesn't take much to convert a civilian KLR250 to look like a military bike. If you want more power for highway cruising then a modified 250 can provide then the next bike in line would be the KLR650. The early 90's KLR650 was the next bike the military used and a civilian version can be cloned in to a military bike just as easily as the KLR250. The problem is both the KLR250 and KLR650 are not highway bikes. The US military hasn't used street bikes for a long time. If modifying a KLR for street use doesn't float your boat then maybe doing up a modern bike as a military tribute my be an alternative. I've attached pics of a couple bikes as examples. I took them when I rode my bike out to DC for the Run For The Wall in 2004 (I have pics of the event at the link below). After taking the pics I joined the line of bikes and made the loop through DC. Greatest bike event I've ever been to. It was also the opening weekend for the WWII Memorial and the link below includes pics of the WWII military trucks and tanks that were on display for the opening.

Rolling Thunder XVII/Run For The Wall 2004

Anyhow, the OD bike looks like a WWII Harley but it' really a newer Softail with a springer front end. The sidecar on it is still made today. I don't know how much you plan on spending but if you have the cash and want a highway bike maybe you can do something like the OD Harley. There's at least one company I know of that is making a reproduction frame of a 1948 Harley but it is set up for the 90's Evo engine.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. As I mentioned if you want a 70's or 80's bike then your two main choices are dual sport types. If you want a highway bike then you will have to go back to WWII for a military bike.

Ruppster

Attachments

Last edited:

krall

I think that is exactly what Im looking for, not a harley of course, but a tribute bike sounds like the best way to go for my first project, that way I'm still keeping in budget and it will be easy to find parts for civilian bikes, any clue on a good make to make a tribute bike with? any one? I saw a project bike here on craigslist and I thought of using as a BSA A50 I think it was but it didn't seem easy to find parts for. anyways any one with a project bike looking to clean out, let me know thanks .
krall

dedgar301

I have a 1999 KLR-650A USMC with 4 original miles on it that has been sitting outside on a pallet at Lackland AFB. I am thinking of selling it. Some parts were taken, but nothing major. I have not gotten around to restoring or even starting it yet. It has been sitting in my garage for 2 years. I have not had the time and don't know when I will get it. I am about an hour away from you, in York. Come over and take a look at it. I also have 2 Harley MT-500's that are in perfect condition (not for sale at this time.) Give me a hollar sometime. dan@nursemedic.com .

Milbikes

Unusual military bike

OK, you hit my soft spot...military bikes. The most recognizable is the WWII Harley WLA. If you can scare up a frame and a fork, (The most expensive parts) there are a lot of surplus engines out there still, as well as plenty of parts. Anything scarce is now reproduced. They are easy to work on, and a blast to ride (But you have to get used to the foot clutch and tank shift). They ARE NOT suicide shift...that is a whole different setup from the chopper days. There is a great WLA forum out there. In the end, you will have a universally recognized and respected bike worth good money.

Military Russian Dnepr or Ural sidecar motorcycle rig (Preferably the flathead 750cc model) is a really fun bike, and affordable still. BEWARE the Dnepr kit bikes from Ohio, they are NOT DOT legal, and can be a big hassle to register. The flathead models (Pre-1968 or 1971...I forget the DOT cutoff) are easily registered. They usually need a fair amount of tikering to get them reliable, but once they are straightened out, they are reliable. Before the fall of the Iron Curtain, the bikes were well built. Afterwards they were junk. Early overhead valve Dneprs (Pre- Iron Curtain falling) were also good machines. You can load them up with dummy machine gun, ammo can racks, etc. Plenty of cheap parts available, and excellent enthusiast forums to support you.

Ducati Condor from around 1973-1978 or so. Old school technology, not really expensive, and fun to ride. A rare bird, and parts can be pricey.

The Rotax powered Harley of the early 1990's is a rugged, usable bike that just seems to keep going up in value. Doesn't have the vintage mojo.

The good old BSA M20 is a slow, simple but FUN militray bike to ride. Parts are still available, and ratty incomplete ones can still be bought for cheap money. When complete and running good, they are bringing some decent money today. they used to be cheap-cheap-cheap but are moving up.

OK, here's the ticket. In the late fifties and early sixties, Harley made some military issue Sportsters called the XLA. Rare as hens teeth. You could buy a cheap Sportster and make your own replica XLA. So few people have actually seen one in person, so most won't even be able to pick it apart.

I have a friend with a 1967 Harley1200 police bike from Kuwait, complete with bullet hole.

Sounds like a fun project you are embarking on!

dedgar301

Interesting thoughts Milbikes. I would love to see that Sportster. What are your thoughts on the KLR series of USMC bikes?

Blood_of_Tyrants

An interesting fact about Indian motorcycles. Prior to WWI motorcycles were used by a lot of rural mail carriers and the Indian was considered the best, most reliable bike of the era and was also the most popular. When the US entered WWI they bought the entire production of Indian motorcycles for their scouts and couriers. This meant that there were none for the civilian market so they went to the next best, Harley Davidson. What seemed to be a great deal when the US Army bought their entire production capability turned out to be the beginning of the end for Indian. After WWII Indian was always second fiddle to HD.

usafe7ret

Harley sells a "life style" and caters to the older, upper middle class male demographic. You buy the bike, then chrome it out, get all the leather apparel, and then ride your bike in a large group from bar to bar. The straighter the route between bars, the better.

They are selling 1950s technology at 2010 prices, and people just can't seem to get enough of it. Doctors, Dentists, Business Execs are the target audience, and they are starting a new campaign aimed at the fairer sex as well.

Another Ahab

Reviving an old thread; hoping there might be more photos of WWII-era Harleys.

Not a lot in the threads, but I DID find a Maddog with an excellent machine.

My mother used to comment about the American Harleys. She was a French war bride. My father romanced here in France, and then they married here in DC after the war.

She lived in Paris, and also through four years of German Occupation (1940-1944, the Hunger Years she called them). And she would tell us all, growing up, how that roar of the American Harleys was always a sweet sound to her.

She had lived through the sound of all the various German machines coursing everywhere throughout Paris during the Occupation (including what I'm guessing were BMW bikes, shaft-driven, and pretty quiet). She could speak fluent German (because of those war years), but she never really enjoyed hearing it spoken.

And then when the Americans finally showed up in August 1944 she said that the sound of those Big Harleys coming through was forever after to her the sweetest sound she knew. It was the sound of freedom, deliverance, liberation, and just plain Good.

For her the sound of those Harleys was a happy memory.

So I'm kind of interested to know more about them. Many around?

Last edited:

Gnepig

Quote: "Reviving an old thread; hoping there might be more photos of WWII-era Harleys." I have repaired and ridden a couple of 45" WLA's, these bikes are a blast to ride albeit a lot different than modern bikes. Used to be a lot of surplus WLA's around and cheap, now the cheapest I find are about 10 grand for projects. But still lookin...

Another Ahab

Hey Gnepig, thanks for the reply, and Welcome here to Steel Soldiers:

- is the WLA the machine with the bicycle seat and the hand-operated shift lever (by the fuel tank)?

- Got any pictures?

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one has mentioned the old and brand new still built Royal Enfield Military bike. You can buy a brand new one for about $5,500,00. It is 50s tech but parts are avail and it looks good just do a search for Royal Enfield it used to be a british bike but now make in India. I have one and its rough but reliable and cheap fun. Eddy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks