• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military Salvage yards near Sumter SC

insanejecke

Does any 1 know of any military salvage years near the Sumter SC area. It doesn't haft to be all military just have a few trucks i can look at.

P.S. barnetts scrap year in Sumter ( i think 1 of the biggest in the state) thinks there stuff is gold so ye and I dont know of any other

Looking for a truck i can rebuild my self.:-|

FrankUSMC

Wow, if only you had asked this about.....say, 40 years ago. I lived in Richland county down the road from Sumter, on Leesburg highway. At the end of Leesberg highway, where it hit I-26 was a big junk yard. Out front were two halftracks (complete) and some DUKWs. I never went into the junk yard, it was sold in the early 70s, but talking to others who lived there, they told me there were some light tanks and more halftracks inside the fence area. They most have came from Fort Jackson.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

insanejecke

Wow, if only you had asked this about.....say, 40 years ago. I lived in Richland county down the road from Sumter, on Leesburg highway. At the end of Leesberg highway, where it hit I-26 was a big junk yard. Out front were two halftracks (complete) and some DUKWs. I never went into the junk yard, it was sold in the early 70s, but talking to others who lived there, they told me there were some light tanks and more halftracks inside the fence area. They most have came from Fort Jackson.
Really now maybe we should go up there and see( just saying)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's actually the intersection of I-77, Garner's Ferry Road and Leesburg Road. (I-77 is on top of the area the junkyard was - so it's all been cleaned up). Went by there many a time as a child.

I just picked up pieces of a deuce out of an auto scrapyard. Was told there was a deuce motor on part of a frame for $500 so I went by. It sure was - radiator, turbo engine, transmission, transfer case, air tanks, springs and all but about 18 inches of the rear of the frame. They even delivered it for another $50. Oh yeah, it also had the air cleaner, the J pipe and all six dogbones. Now I gotta take it all apart and store the good stuff. U bolts and drive shafts were trorched when they yanked the axles. Same with the steering column.

Jecke,
If you want to find out more about what's available locally, come by the compound on Wednesday Afternoon/evening. Use Google Earth to find us at 34.069203, -80.909873 and come on by! The MVCSC 'Museum' is open from 3 till 9 every Wednesday. Hotdogs usually run out around 7pm, since we only prepare two dozen.

insanejecke

How much u willing to spend what kind of budget are u lookin at spending and do u want a m1008 m1028 or a m1009 ?

that's the thing not much Around $1000+ trades that's why i'm looking for 1 i can work on. ATM i might have a m816 but i need to talk to him more about it tomorrow. if its a no go hopefuly there's a few junk yards neari canl look there. and if i fine no luck with that Ill post a wanted ad. and to be honest i dont know that much i just love the way they look

I'm the kinda guy who has the ability to work on almost anything but cant afford nothing.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I can save you the trip. While I was in high school, the area the junk yard was at in was made into a big strip mall.
The only good news is, that as a kid, every time I would pass the junk yard I would try to get my Dad to buy one of the halftracks, well that never happened. But today in my driveway is a very complete 1941 M2 halftrack, that every time I look at it I think of the times with my Dad.

insanejecke

It's actually the intersection of I-77, Garner's Ferry Road and Leesburg Road. (I-77 is on top of the area the junkyard was - so it's all been cleaned up). Went by there many a time as a child.

I just picked up pieces of a deuce out of an auto scrapyard. Was told there was a deuce motor on part of a frame for $500 so I went by. It sure was - radiator, turbo engine, transmission, transfer case, air tanks, springs and all but about 18 inches of the rear of the frame. They even delivered it for another $50. Oh yeah, it also had the air cleaner, the J pipe and all six dogbones. Now I gotta take it all apart and store the good stuff. U bolts and drive shafts were trorched when they yanked the axles. Same with the steering column.

Jecke,
If you want to find out more about what's available locally, come by the compound on Wednesday Afternoon/evening. Use Google Earth to find us at 34.069203, -80.909873 and come on by! The MVCSC 'Museum' is open from 3 till 9 every Wednesday. Hotdogs usually run out around 7pm, since we only prepare two dozen.
I sure will when i can get a day off work.......

FrankUSMC

Mike
Sounds like we might have passed each other in our childhood. On the location, after I went into the Marines, I never went back except for a few times, and then I was shocked at how much had changed. Like the area at the end of Leesburg highway, it was just a two lane road.

04mustang

I have been to the guy in albermarle.
He has alot of stuff, including a half track, but based on his prices for parts for a M35A2, I would assume $1000, wont touch his trucks.
Hes a military surplus and parts guy, so its probably not gonna fly very high with him, though he will work with trades to an extent.
Welcome

Thanks,
Corey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks