• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mini Soldering Torch, Recomendations?

Artisan

I have a little butane powered mini torch for small solder jobs
and it worked OK but w/o warning it just died. I hate to throw
good money after a bad design. THIS ONE

Can anyone recommend a decent little torch for soldering military connectors
and other items?

My handheld MAPP torch makes a mess of things, a small more precision
flame is what I seek.

Shark Bait

image.jpg
Out of all the ones I've tried this radio shack mini is the one I use. I've used them for about 15 years. They last a good long time an heat up quick. I dropped one at a mine onetime off a rock truck and it cracked the seal where the tank and housing meet. 15' drop. I don't use them as much as I use to but still work when I need em. I keep one on my work truck and one in shop bench. The blow torch tip is great for heat shrink.

Dave

Crawdaddy

How big of connectors are you soldering? When I did a lot of soldering out in the field for my job, I used a Weller Portasol. It served me well and 10 years later, I still have it, though I don't use it professionally anymore. The valves in them also tend to get sketchy over the years, but mine has fared pretty well all things considered. I've done up to 10 gauge wire with this iron, though getting a good solder joint with the larger wires is hard because the iron doesn't have enough thermal mass to heat a joint up fast.

Artisan

I wonder if I can just turn my ox-acetylene torach wayyy down w/
a single tip an do the same... hmmmm?

R Racing

View attachment 543562
Out of all the ones I've tried this radio shack mini is the one I use. I've used them for about 15 years. They last a good long time an heat up quick. I dropped one at a mine onetime off a rock truck and it cracked the seal where the tank and housing meet. 15' drop. I don't use them as much as I use to but still work when I need em. I keep one on my work truck and one in shop bench. The blow torch tip is great for heat shrink.

Dave
I Second the radio shack 1 . I have had 1 for over 20 years !

Artisan

I have a pointed tip electric, I still like a mini flame from time to time,
especially when the flame is on a mini torch that has a stand, leaving me 2
hands to do my deeds.

I don't want to wait for a good torch, I need one now so I decided to
pick up a Harbor Freight special. I LOVE IT! For $9 EACH they are
throw away cheap but I bet ya it lasts longer than that Weller pos.

The HF Special does not have a child proof nothing on it!
Just turn on the valve on top and hit the self ignitor button
on the side and go!

image_18215.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Harbor Fright torch as well. I have zero complaints with it whatsoever. I also have a bernzomatic mini torch/soldering iron. I often use both in conjunction with each other. Cutting paracord I use the hot knife blade of the bernzo with extra initial heating with the HFT torch. Same with soldering, preheat the tip and if the wire is heavy gauge, I preheat that as well. I'm waiting on a sale to pick up a couple more of these. They aren't bad for camping kits either.

Artisan

snip
They aren't bad for camping kits either.
Ha! I was thinking the sme thing that these would be GREAT fire starters
in addition to Bic Lighters. Really could be the difference between FREEZING and
suriving, being able to ignite damp materials...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny story. Few weeks back I took my 2 boys camping with the Cub Scouts. My youngest is a Cub Scout. We took the SECM since it was only the 3 of us. Evening time comes and the few families around us purchased some firewood. One of them suggested that we send out a detachment of scouts to gather up kindling. I had a better idea. Opened up the truck and drug out the cutting torch. Had a blazing fire in just a few moments! Bigger scale but similar results.

papakb

Something to keep in mind when using these butane torches is the orifice that the butane passes through is really small, on the order of a few thousandths of an inch and if you use cheap Chinese butane that orifice will plug up and the tool will stop working. I found this out the hard way with one of the more expensive Master torches. They need to use well filtered butane like the stuff Master sells. No amount of trying to clear the opening worked and I ended up sending it back to the factory for repair. It wasn't as expensive as a new torch but the repair wasn't cheap either. Moral is: use good quality butane!

Kurt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks