• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Minimum CFM requirement for brakes

rat4spd

Anyone know what it is? I'm thinking of just throwing a compressor in the back of the truck for the 130 mile trip home. I'm just curious how much air I need.

Barrman

You only need the air when you are stopping. If you could wire it up in such a way that you can turn it on and off from the cab, a compressor in the bed would work great. Take the system up to 110 or so, turn it off and drive until you get below 75, repeat. The buzzer will let you know if you haven't looked at the gauge enough.

rat4spd

Either way, a gasoline engine is going to be involved. I can run a generator with a small compressor, or a gas driven compressor. It's only going to run for 4 hours or so.

rat4spd

I dont have a diagram of the air system handy at the moment, so can anyone say if there are any check valves between the glad hands and the reserviors that would prevent using them to hook the air up to. Otherwise, I need to find another location.

jwaller

to be honest you don't need air at all. I once drove a deuce 200 miles without air bc I didn't feel like putting the belt on. it only makes stopping easier.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How was listeneing to the buzzer? How does anyone else feel about this? I'd certainly do it if it was safe enough.
You go 1st and tell me how it works out. My trip is all downhill. :)

BEASTMASTER

the easiest hookup is to pull the drain plug out of the air tank and srew you're hose right into it. one of those compressors you plug into the lighter would work. if you don't have any major leaks the pressure should stay right up there.

rat4spd

the easiest hookup is to pull the drain plug out of the air tank and srew you're hose right into it. one of those compressors you plug into the lighter would work. if you don't have any major leaks the pressure should stay right up there.

Where am I going to get 12v from? I'd have to rig a switch and run it off one battery. Gladhand goes on in a few seconds.

bgekky3

Don't run off one battery.

During my trip across the country, I forgot to check the trailer one time. I was in Oklahoma at a truck stop. Some kids were making a scene and it took a long time to get the food. I got back to the truck rearanged stuff in the cab and took off before checking the trailer. I always check to make sure no one pulled the pin or messed with anything. I decided to check at the next offramp. It was downhill. I got off the ramp hit the brakes and they weren't there. I just about ran the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp. It turned out someone disconnected the glad hand on the trailer. The truck was around 23k to 24k lbs. After that experience I bet you can stop an empty deuce with no air, but you need to know it beforehand and know it is going to take some leg to get it done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks