• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mixing WMO & WVO, recommendations?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have aquired about 25 gallons of WVO and about 70 of WMO and I'm planning of filtering it to use in an M35A2. I'm still accumulating it as well. I've tried looking up any previous threads on the subject, but really couldn't find any that answered my questions about doing this. First off, I don't plan on running any more than a 50/50 mix of diesel and WMO/WVO. And as far as mixing the WMO and WVO, I don't plan on having more than 25% WVO in the mix. For now its in separate containers, most of it unfiltered. I plan on filtering it down to 1 micron just to avoid any problems. Will these two fuels mix okay, and will they separate out over time if I store them mixed? I have several drums that I can store them in seperately if I need too, and mix them as needed. I also plan to add a little gasoline to thin it. (just a little)
The WVO is pretty much all Canola oil, most of it used to fry fish in. I plan on using the powder to absorb the water out of it before running it through the first cone filter, (that's how restaurants filter it to reuse) then through bag filters. Has anyone had any problems with WVO turning rancid and unusable?
I'm trying to save a little on the cost of running the truck, so any opinions would be helpful.

joshs1ofakindxj

I have had no issues mixing WVO and WMO with no regard to ratio. I run a ton of both. Only issue I can think of is in winter when the temp drops WVO can have some nasty fats and crap precipitate out so I try not to run it in really cold weather. I have noticed it takes a little while longer to start with WVO any time of year. I'm going to try thinning with gasoline and not diesel to see if it makes a difference.

Beyond Biodiesel

I have aquired about 25 gallons of WVO and about 70 of WMO and I'm planning of filtering it to use in an M35A2. I'm still accumulating it as well. I've tried looking up any previous threads on the subject, but really couldn't find any that answered my questions about doing this. First off, I don't plan on running any more than a 50/50 mix of diesel and WMO/WVO. And as far as mixing the WMO and WVO, I don't plan on having more than 25% WVO in the mix. For now its in separate containers, most of it unfiltered. I plan on filtering it down to 1 micron just to avoid any problems. Will these two fuels mix okay, and will they separate out over time if I store them mixed? I have several drums that I can store them in seperately if I need too, and mix them as needed. I also plan to add a little gasoline to thin it. (just a little)
The WVO is pretty much all Canola oil, most of it used to fry fish in. I plan on using the powder to absorb the water out of it before running it through the first cone filter, (that's how restaurants filter it to reuse) then through bag filters. Has anyone had any problems with WVO turning rancid and unusable?
I'm trying to save a little on the cost of running the truck, so any opinions would be helpful.
WVO can react very negatively with WMO, but not all WMO. So, if you are going to run both, then I advise blending them together with diesel, or gasoline to thin it out, then leave the blend to settle for a month. When you carefully pour off the good fuel off the top, you may find a thick black crud left behind, which you will not want in your fuel tank.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
YES! Be very careful if you decide to run both, and carry spare filters with you. It has been my experience that mixing them will turn your fuel to "turds" for lack of better terms. I don't even take wvo anymore, its not worth the hassle. Even if you use it by itself, the PH will losen any crud in your fuel system and send it right to your filters.

You might be ok after running the first batch, but for me it was not worth it and I won't mess with it anymore.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wreckerman's deuce elixir: 30 gallons WMO, 30 gallons WVO, 30 gallons straight diesel fuel, 10 gallons regular gas (no ethanol). Blend it up and burn it. Do not let it sit in the tank for very long or it will settle out somewhat. The return fuel coming back into the tank will mix it up but you can still end up with some crud in the bottom. If I was going on a long trip I would run it and then when I got back and the tank was low I would top it off with straight diesel to use just running around town. I also had good luck running half diesel and half WVO in my diesel Ranger pickup truck.

Beyond Biodiesel

Wreckerman, you must have been lucky running that blend, because blending WMO with WVO can make large quantities of glue that can ruin your IP, injectors, and entire fuel system. If that blend were left to settle for a month, then most of the glue will have settled out, but the next batch might react with the previous batch. As me how I know?
Sludge.4.2.jpg
sludge in my fuel line from running WMO and WVO blended together

iatractor

I have been running a blend of products too. I found that mixing the filtered waste engine oil with diesel first, then blending filtered wvo provides decent results and keeps the turds and crud to a minimum. Then I'll run a flush of either biodiesel or straight diesel. Really got to watch the ph of the wvo. It can vary widely. My blend is similar to wreckerman's but this year I have went with a lot lower dose of wmo, increased the wvo and boosted the diesel mix. Mainly I did that for the fact that I have started horse trading my wmo with a guy who uses it in his shop furnace for the wvo he gets that doesn't burn well in his shop. Eventually my plan is to be 100% veggie in summer and then start running diesel up until winter with winter blend fuel.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wreckerman, you must have been lucky running that blend, because blending WMO with WVO can make large quantities of glue that can ruin your IP, injectors, and entire fuel system. If that blend were left to settle for a month, then most of the glue will have settled out, but the next batch might react with the previous batch. As me how I know?
View attachment 448349
sludge in my fuel line from running WMO and WVO blended together
I'm with Beyond Biodiesel. I've never had good luck at all mixing WVO and WMO together. It always produces a sludge like that that will clog a filter in seconds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks