• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MK/18 hookloader compatibility ?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
MK/18 hookloader compatibility ? I have a couple hook lift trucks,that I haul dumpsters with.Does anyone know if the mk/18a1 hookloader will work on civilian cans.My dumpsters have a 62" hook heigth.I am looking to buy a mk/48-mk/18.thanks,john 410-808-5227

Hoefler

IMG_3718.jpgIMG_3716.jpgIMG_3226.jpg
I have an MK48/MK18A1 on my remote site. I have a roll off-about a 20 yard one on site that needs to be removed. I will find time to hook it this weekend.
Pete

Hoefler

John,
I have PM'd you.
I also have a MK14 trailer. It looks like the trailer and the 18A1 have the same frame. The bed on the trailer and the Loader bolt to the frame. It look looks like the entire loader could be un bolted from the frame and fit onto the frame rails of a truck. The hydraulics look simple as well. Would be practical to separate and mount to truck.
Pete

DrillerSurplus

it looks like the MK18A1 hook height is pretty close to your trucks'. The photo & data for this MK1077 bed are from the Prime Portal site. Shows height of 63.7" less a couple of inches to hook.

I've taken a preliminary look at putting the hook mechanism from MK18A1 onto a truck- seems like it should be pretty straight forward. The frame stance is the standard 34".

Attachments

TacticalTruck

John
Sorry I haven't got back to you. We put a M18A1 loader on a HEMTT. There's a thread somewhere about it. The loader on the MK18A1 is designed mainly for bridge sections and sea containers. The load is guided by the outside rails. The rollers at the rear have a few different configurations. We ended up cutting most of it off and we fabricated a set of rollers similar to the loader that comes on the HEMTT. The HEMTTs are adaptable to a configuration similar to the MK18A1. We also had to relocate the winch because it was in the way of a traditional hook loader bed.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
mk48 flatbed 033.jpgmk48 flatbed 032.jpgmk48 flatbed 031.jpgmk48 flatbed 030.jpgI pulled my flatbed up on the mk18a1.My flatbed has a 62" hook height.The winch was in the way.I need to refab the hook assembly on the bed.It seems like it will work good.

Hoefler

John,
I was able to try mine out on a dumpster this weekend. The dumpster was to short for the MK, but showed me a long one will work-thinking this thing could be used as a dump truck.
I first tried with the hook coupled rigid with pin in place (no folding). That didn't work. I then pulled the hinge pin out to allow for hook to fold over. That worked well.
A long 20 footer should work-or perhaps an even longer one.
Perhaps the toughest part of this was removing the large X-member that was on the hook. It was a cluster to remove this thing. I had heard these things injured or killed troops when handling them. I can see how that happens-these things are poorly engineered to the MK18 operation. As a person with 30 years of designing engineered products that people interface with in the industrial sector, I could never let something like this out. My X-member is going to become a decoration for the side of my barn-good ridance to its operation.
Outside of that, the MK48-18 is a real workable combination. The hydraulic hinging of chassis allows the unit to get into places that might present a huge challenge for a regular truck. There is enough weight on the truck to keep off camber loading much more safe than a typical rig.
Pete

Attachments

Hoefler

Pete, you've got the only remote for one of those I've ever seen. Know of any others?
My 18 came with all the bins full. The remote on mine was new and never used. It seems the only way to really use the capability of the truck-trailer combo is via remote while in cab. This allows for moving forward as load progresses. My MK18 came out of GA along with a bunch of other ones that all seem to have been rebuilds. SandCobra may know of where to get these. He is on base and helped me recover mine.
Pete

Hoefler

I have bent my license plate and scraped up the rear of my truck in efforts to loose the X-member. Wonder how many kids got hurt dealing with this thing.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
parts 133.jpgparts 134.jpgparts 135.jpgparts 131.jpgI added a bolt on hook on my 24' flatbed that I use on my Mack hooklift truck.It works good,getting the mk 48 ready for the local parade this weekend.

Hoefler

I like that flatbed. I have thought of one of these with drop sides. This combination would make a decent dump truck without making it a dump truck only.
Hope she is running good for you.
Have you noticed what temp the engine gauge shows? Mine was pretty high which caused me to use a heat gun to record what it actually was. My gauge reads much higher than actual.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks