• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mk48 night mare

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
mk18 004.jpgMy mk48 arrived today,after the trucker unloaded it.I drove it about a quarter mile to my driveway,about 200 feet up my driveway it jumped out of rear.I drifted back down the hill and checked all the switches and transfer case lever.It made a loud grinding noise when put in forward gear,it seemed to want to back up.I called the trucker who worked for the dealer I bought the truck from.He dint know what to do.I then tried backing up my driveway and it went a little ways and jumped out of gear and started making a loud grinding noise.I called the owner of the dealership and he said he would send the trucker back to get it.Now I dont know what to do.If they take the truck back they wont send me another truck out delivered for the same price.They are a 1000 miles away.It sounds like the transfer case went out.$30k is a lot to spend and not have a running truck.the truck is in beautiful condition with only 185 miles.Any suggestions??

Artisan

John your a smart guy. Grab the TM and look for an applicable section
and diagnosis it for sure. Personally I would rather wrench on my own
truck instead someone else. If it is a T/C I think I saw some on GL NOW.

Find member "Driller Surplus" I believe he has one and maybe he can
offer up some info.

best of luck...

Artisan

If it is a shifter issue and you need anew CLICK HERE WAIT! I can't do that, silly.

There is one on EBay

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have to make a decision by tommorow morning.Send the truck back and get my money back or take a chance and maybe have to replace the transfer case.

Artisan

Find DrillerSurplus, he may have one for sale for a lot less or tell the dealer to
give you your money back and call you when it is fixed.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I talked to Driller last week,He wanted more for his mk48 than the $30k I paid.Does the hemtt and the mk48 use the same transfer case.

Artisan

John,

Rule #1 - Never trust anyones info unless you verify it.
Rule #2 - Refer to rule #1

I think the T/C part number you seek is a # 1429530U

I just found and uploaded to my server some files you might want to D/L
Once you D/L the first one, scroll to PDF page #436, not document page number but PDF PAGE #436

CLICK HERE

Then CLICK HERE and try this one for good measure.

NOTE; THESE FILES WILL NOT BE READY TO D/L TILL ABOUT 25 MINUTES AFTER THE CURRENT HOUR

Artisan

Nope, crawl under there and get the part number and NSN number off your TC if that is what you think is blown.

Artisan

I can not link to it cause it is a current GL auction but go to GL and do a search in Nevada for;

Transfer case with container. Shipping,

There are 2 lots of 5 pieces EA

I do not know if they will fit or not. You need to get the info off the data plate on your truck to verify I thunk.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I need to get the nsn # for sure,I found a couple but the part #s are different.I wish I new if the mk48 and Hemtt share the same transfer case.

Artisan

Is your power unit one of these?

POWER UNIT, FRONT,

4 X 4, MK48 (NSN 2320-01-177-5167)

4 X 4, MK48A1 (NSN 2320-01-417-3180)

Artisan

The Dl's may take longer, I just checked my uploads and they slowed down...be patient
but find those NSN numbers while we wait John...no sense eff'n a 'round.

Artisan

I need to get the nsn # for sure,I found a couple but the part #s are different.I wish I new if the mk48 and Hemtt share the same transfer case.

Awnser the Power Unit question and get the NSN or part number off the TC.

It may be on the top of the TC, look at those units FS on GL in Nevada, see that little silver tag on the top?
That "might" be the DATA plate tag. Also look and see if the look the same!

DrillerSurplus

How did it drive in the 1/4 mile to your driveway? Any weird noises? The jumping out of gear & grinding noises does sound more likely to be a transfer case issue than Allison. I haven't had any similar issues with MK48, so I don't have any great solutions to offer.

Have you tried putting it in low range? That would tell you if it is trans or transfer case

You might want to see if you can see where the transfer case shifts underneath and see if you can see if shift linkage is moving appropriately. I have not looked at MK48's mechanism, but we ran a lot of big trucks with power dividers similar to PTO which usually shifted with a small air cylinder which can pretty easily get gummed up.

I think the MK48 transfer cases are different than Hemtt. Likewise, I believe the trans are very similar, but have some differences.

I'll take a quick look at TM & post again if I see anything that might be helpful.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
It seemed to drive fine,it made some loud noises when you turned the steering wheel,Loud noises.It doesnt make any difference if its in low range or direct.It just grinds.You can see the input shaft turn when you put it in gear,but it does nothing but make loud gringing noises.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks