• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modern tire options if sticking with stock 10 wheel configuration?

TehTDK

I don't have a truck yet, but being the person I am I tend to prefer to have all the details etc worked out before I actually stand knee deep in it :)

I am hopefully looking at getting a M35A2 down the line but want to keep its stock 10 wheel configuration, but where does that put me wheel/tire wise if I wanted to upgrade/change the tires. I don't really like the look of the NDT/NDCC tires and would prefer an upgrade to something of a more modern or such tire pattern. And hopefully through that change get a bit better on road and off road grip.

I mean I like the look of the 395's that people post on here but I figure they are far too wide for keeping the stock dual boogie configuration of the rear axles. So the question is, what is my real and reasonable options if I want to keep the stock 10 wheel configuration but with modern tires?.

Flyingvan911

If you was ten tires and a military look the best I've seen is to go with 11.00x20 radials. I'm sure you can find some 9.00x20 radials if you want to spend that much. The 11.00's are everywhere and usually reasonably priced. Radials are much nicer. I am also looking at putting 10 radials on my deuce.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go with the G177s. They are everywhere for sale relatively inexpensive from people moving up to 395s and such. Nice easy upgrade and great tire. I have them on my 923 and love 'em.

TehTDK

Continental makes a tread design similar to the NDT/NDCC for NATO vehicles.

View attachment 406244
I just thought that thread pattern wasn't optimal since most people seem to want to migrate away from it?. But the tires doesn't have to look like the NDT/NDCC ones, what I am primarily "concerned" about is more up to date and not dated tires. And hopefully better on and off road abilities then the stock ones

dangerfieldinc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just checked to see what new Good Year G177 would cost (just for information) and was told they do not have any in the new stock system and no current or future production date from Good Year

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How will you use your truck?

Will you be importing tires, or buying locally? What is available locally?

What's your budget?

TehTDK

How will you use your truck?

Will you be importing tires, or buying locally? What is available locally?

What's your budget?
My initial plan is to buy them locally since I have a few commercial truck tire shops in the area where I live as the area is a major transit hub. That being said if it proves cheaper to import I might jump right on that as well. But as to what is available I don't really know since I am unsure whether we use the same 9.00x20 etc measurements for tires here or we default to using the same "style" as for regular car tires.

Budget-wise I must admit I have no real idea about what truck tires cost, but I would think they can't be cheapish since a lot of trucking companies around here tends to retread their tires alot.

But I guess one of the first things I would need to do is to call one of the local tire companies up and find out a few prices just to present a unit of measure people might be able to relate to.

EDIT:
I found some that are 11.00x20 provided the 20 is the rimsize. And I assume the 11.00 is the width of the tire?. I am unsure whether they are A/T etc, but they were qouted at 4-500 US a tire which I don't think is bad considering what it is. I know that with 11 tires (one spare) I will be looking at 4400-5500 USD out of pocket, but I would rather prefer to have new tires both for my own safety but just as much for the others on the road. I wouldn't want to suffer a critical tire failure driving down any road.

Last edited:

Dipstick

Tires

Teh,

I run Firestone T-831 11R-20 radials on my bobber. They are dualled on the rear. They are mounted on the stock six hole rims. I like them so far. I got them very slightly used for $285 each.

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking into upgrading the tires on my deuce to 1100x20 radials about 8 months ago.

This is what I found available here in the US:

NEW
Goodyear G-177 Radial (on a production hiatus now?)
T-Hawk NDT Bias Ply
Continental NDT/NDCC Ply unknown

Used / Surplus
Firestone T831 radial, out of production in Dec? 2010.
Michelin XLs radial, out of production 2+ years ago.
There might be others available but was not interested in them.

I did find some BRAND NEW surplus Michelin XLs in the UK, too far for me but might be closer to you? If I remember correctly about $350 each, did not save the search, but you might want to look into it.

Where in Denmark are you? Have family in the Odense area...

Good Luck!

tommys2patrick

g 287 tire pattern

Does anyone have experience with a G 287 tire pattern in an 1100 R20. I believe it is considered a mud and snow pattern with over the road as well. it has a ribbed outer tread and large block inner tread. I was considering them for a ten wheel stock 20 inch rim mount on a deuce. Feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks