• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

modern tire size conversion for 14.00x24 tires

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was talking with Dirt71 the other day, he mentioned that 14.00x24 tires for the 10-tons are not common anymore. I agreed, but I said there has to be a modern swappable equivalent for that size, since the only things I can find in 14.00x24 size are motor grader tires.

Are there any size-equivalent tires out there that would be more road appropriate than grader tires? If so, what size are they sold as now?

Trying to help the 10-ton owners out there find some meats for their rigs.

supermechanic

My employer owns a new Volvo grader, has the radial grader tires, will do 45 mph in road gear, no funny issues with bounce, wobble, ect. drives real nice (for a grader).

123mack

I've been looking around for some time and the best I could come up with is the above mentioned radials, and 14.00x24 bias ply tires made for off road trucks and wheeled cranes. They, like the NDCC tires are load range L (20 ply rating). If I remember right the grader tires are 13 ply rating. The off road truck tires aren't rated for high speed, but then the max speed of a M123 is 42mph. My M123 when I aquired it was a mix of the civy tires with some very bad NDCCs. I was able to find some used tires to replace the bad NDCCs, but I would always like to find some better used ones.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have similar issues with tires for the 8x8, the best replacement seems to be "grader" type tires, mainly because of the 70% aspect ratio.
Speed rating may be a problem only when tire is loaded to the max. It's hard to find good answers to tire questions IMHO.
Many more choices in Europe it seems, Dunlop, Alliance, Continental, Mitas...

123mack

Found some notes I had made on the M911. The radial it uses is the 385/95R24. I made some measurements in the past, and I believe the 24 inch rims on the M123 have the same lug spacing and center hole diameter as a PLS rim. If PLS rims would work, I'd single my truck out.

GoHot229

My employer owns a new Volvo grader, has the radial grader tires, will do 45 mph in road gear, no funny issues with bounce, wobble, ect. drives real nice (for a grader).
I'd guess the next question about these tires is. are they 'DOT APROVED' as there could be a hassel with a 'educated' Officer, and might come into play. Thinking about it, I more often than not cruse at about 2,000 RPM?? if I remember correctly, which translates at about 45-50 mph I think, reguardless, I cruise at the said 45-50, in the sweet spot so barring the said 'grader' tires being or not being 'DOT, it would serve My purposes fine. Ooops, GaDuhhhh. I drive a Deuce.... so its moot anyway........

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks