• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Montana state hmmwv onroad ok

Shamp

I have called multiple licensing departments including the Department of Justice in Montana. They all told me about a recent change to their state policy as of about a month ago. It is an internal Department of justice letter and is not available to be viewed online but they read it to me over the phone. It identified specifically Ex military Hmmwvs as allowed to be licensed off road AND on road. For on road you simply must self certify the road worthiness with the updated form MV70A. This form provides a checklist of requirements for road worthiness. I was told by an employee that a few months ago she had to reject hmmwv title applications but now she can title them. I specifically asked about the Off road only stamp and was told by different people on different calls that the MV70A would be adequate for on road certification.
This is for everyones information so please don't make this into a high horse, I do everything by the book, lecture thread about GP and off road only stamps.

undysworld

Shamp,

Any chance you could make contact with one of those folks and request a copy of the fed letter? I'd sure like to get my hands on it, and it sounds like you may have a good contact with them perhaps? pm me if you need my contact info.

The MV70A form is a Montana state form, so it will have no validity elsewhere. But of course, it may allow you to "create" a road-legal vehicle out of one that otherwise is not.

Interestingly, Michigan used to have some such procedure available which actually allowed you to register a John Deere Gator and other such vehicles, but around a year ago they discontinued allowing this. From memory, that procedure was found in a Mich. State Patrol pamphlet.

EDIT: Here's the MI SP pamphlet: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/TSS_Field_Update_1_113304_7.pdf

EDIT: Here's the current MI TR-54 form: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf
Here's the original MI TR-54 form: http://www.ezturnsignalkit.com/MichiganDepartmentofState.pdf

Obviously, the MI procedure has nothing to do with Montana, but it may be useful to compare.

Juanprado,

Many (maybe most) states will title a vehicle for a non-resident. They are happy to take your registration moneys, and perhaps you are a part-time resident there, even if you pay your state taxes elsewhere. (Here in Wis., many people go south for the winter.)

But what might be an issue is that you might not be able to legally drive that vehicle into your home state. (In Wis., statute says that once you drive your vehicle into Wis., the vehicle falls under Wis. registration requirements.) You'd have to check the laws in both states, I'd think.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kentucky has done the same, revised statute to include the definition of "surplus military vehicle" to the VIN verification document/form. this will alow HMMWV to get an road use title.

NormB

Before the moderators shut down this thread (see "Da Rulz"), my truck was titled in MT when I bought it, no exceptions regarding on/off-road. Local seller and SS member "decodeme2" (now deceased :sad:), I have NO idea how this was done from Maryland on a truck that came out of North Carolina (with a 6.2L engine reset in 2006 at Ft. Lewis, WA), maybe his son would know as I believe he's still selling on ePay - the evil auction site - under the same name.

BTW the M1101/02 trailers I saw last fall at his place were nearly spotless, new covers, good rubber, $1800 THEN.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you a resident of Montana?

Will they title to a non resident?
If you are in the state of montana for more than 10days you have to register your vehicle for montana they deam 10days as residency status. . So vacation in a hmmwv time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Before the moderators shut down this thread (see "Da Rulz")
As long as it's deemed legal and it's not "how do I work around the laws", it won't be shut down. However, expect Joe Bob Newbie to come along asking how he can get a tag on his vehicle after he's went down every wrong path. That's when things get closed.

Shamp

I don't have any special contacts I just called the Department of Justice Motor Vehicle Division and ask the operators. When I spoke to the licensing employees, or "MVD" in Montana, I called on different days to different locations to make sure I got the same story. I asked if the letter they read to me was public on the internet but it was just an internal DOJ memo. And each person said it was just released about a month ago. Also there would be no vin inspection if you had the sf97. Even if there was an inspection you can have it inspected by the person doing the licensing, no need to take it to the state patrol or anything at that level. I was also told that the self certification checklist MV70A, had been updated last month also for this.
JuanPrado, I'm pretty sure no licensing department would grant title to a non resident. I am not a resident but I have property there and would be considered a "part time resident".

It is not surprising that Montana would allow this as they have some more relaxed road laws. No helmets on motorcycles, quads on the roads, high speed limits that used to be no speed limit until the late 90's.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will update this one as well. If you need a title for your HMMWV, or any other type of military truck and you can get a vin verify by a LEO in any state done on a notarized document I can get you a title thru the state of TN for on road use.

Please PM if you have any questions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks