• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mount Gama

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where was that photo taken? Have these been scrapped, or can they be saved in any way? They look in pretty nice shape!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big fan of the Gama Goat - I've heard too many GIs who rode the things that hated them for one reason or another. I have never owned or driven one, but based on the feedback I have heard about the Goat, it's not one of the greatest MVs of all time. Still, the above pic is a waste of pieces of military history, and would provide much enjoyment to military vehicle enthusiasts of all ages for many more years.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
the above pic is a waste of pieces of military history, and would provide much enjoyment to military vehicle enthusiasts of all ages for many more years.
I couldn't put it any better

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
GL doesn't handle overseas sales, that is still a DRMO function. I'm acquainted with a fellow who was tasked with destroying 200 goats in Albany. I saw one that had 39 miles on it shredded.

Shame.

Regards,
David

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Holy cow, what a shame. They may be a PITA, but there are those who love them and will never have a chance to have one. The price of aluminum scrap is up so high now that if there are any sitting around, they are going to get chopped up for beer cans.

Gamagoat1

I've owned my Goat for 18 years now, have rebuilt or replaced every nut, bolt and system on board in an attempt to return it to design. In the time I've owned it, I've embarrassed a lot of hot shot offroaders. It's always easy to cut down something that,s different. Granted, it's a bitch to work on and it swims only when the situation is perfect, and it's tough getting into especially when you're 6 foot eight and 250 lbs. like I am, but when you're in and running it's a kick.
I drove mine to the 2000 MVPA convention in Kansas City from Elizabeth Colorado, 1200 mile round trip and it was a blast. 14.2 mpg at 55mph. I guess it's all up to the individual but the Goat takes a lot of undeserved crap.

Gamagoat1

Thanks Dave,
It's been a labor of love I guess, Kinda favoring the underdog.
Now I have to do the same thing to my 816, a little bigger undertaking.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about posting a few pics?
Was part owner of one for almost a year and looked forward to working on it, but never actuall touched it, the 8x8 got in the way.
At least we saved one from the crusher. :)

You lock the articulated feature for highway driving, correct?

Gamagoat1

The Goat is not articulated. The trailer is restricted to pitch and yaw movement and is basically a permanently attached trailer that is powered. I have pictures posted in the photo gallery of SS,

no1_macleod

I`m looking for anyone who might know of anyone who has or may know where an XM 561 is. The second generation version not the proto type.

Gamagoat1

I`m looking for anyone who might know of anyone who has or may know where an XM 561 is. The second generation version not the proto type.
Was never a second generation. The XM designation was there before the first prototypes were standardized. Then some modifications were made but no redesign. If you see a Goat it is the standard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks