• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a 5th wheel trailer on a 5 ton?

Hootch

Long time lurker, first time poster here, so please don't tear me up too bad.;) I am a year or so away (finishing my Bachelors after raising 4 boys...) from buying a 5 ton. While some folks here have made some amazing RV's out of the Duece, I'm wondering is it is possible/practical to mount a RV trailer or 5th wheel type RV on a 5 ton. It has the carrying capacity and other features that would make for a awesome go anywhere rig. It seems like a lot of work to build a box van into a RV that could be avoided if I could mount a trailer or 5th wheel on the back of a LWB 5 ton. Is this a practical dream, or just not feasible due to height, too top heavy, or other restrictions? Having a toilet, kitchen, and sleeping area will go a long ways towards convincing my Lovely Bride of 22 years that this is something that we should do before we retire. I have looked, but have not found where anyone has done this. I have a 45 Willys that will be towed behind for a run about rig. Any suggestions or outright "you've got to be kiddings" will be appreciated. Thanks for the great forum. Hootch

Last edited:

Hootch

Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured that height was going to be an issue. It seemed way too obvious for it to have not been done, but my searches didn't turn up much. The trick must be to improve my searches. Thanks again folks!

Hootch

One of the Hi Lo trailers might work. As long as the total height is below 12' when traveling, I think that it would be fine. A set of steps and the means to store them will obviously need to be done. Would it be best to make a mounting pad and just mount it where the leaf springs used to be, or should the whole trailer be bolted down? It seems that the leaf spring mount would give some flex room, but I'm not sure how much the 5 ton frame flexes.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you use an M927 without the super singles you might be ok if you used something like an Airstream trailer. My question is why not pull the RV with the truck and still have use of it for its intended purpose. When I pull my van trailer behind the M927 I'm 62 feet long but if you used a short wheel based vehicle you would be fine. You can get an adaptor to pull a gooseneck trailer with a 5th wheel tractor. I have one but have not installed in on our gooseneck lowboy since I sold my tractor.

Hootch

I am wanting to make the 5 ton into the house so that I can pull my 45 Willys as a support vehicle. That way the Willys can be used as a recon vehicle and for town runs while the 5 ton is the base camp. Thanks for your input!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
East Wenatchee is not a state. Our rules request a state.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought 13'6" was the legal height limit. I am thinking about doing the same thing with an M927. I think I have about 8 feet to play with and stay under the 13.5' limit. I want to pull a deuce as a runabout. Thought about loading the deuce and pulling the travel trailer but that would take some wicked ramps.

andy3

VPed, you are my kind of twisted!

I thought 13'6" was the legal height limit. I am thinking about doing the same thing with an M927. I think I have about 8 feet to play with and stay under the 13.5' limit. I want to pull a deuce as a runabout. Thought about loading the deuce and pulling the travel trailer but that would take some wicked ramps.

quickfarms

A lot of modern fifth wheel trailers are close to 13.5' tall to the top of the air conditioners.

I know you can lower the trailer a bit by removing the under carriage.

People have mounted travel trailer bodies on standard civilian truck chassis

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking the fifth wheel route is somewhat troublesome. Between having the hitch part of the trailer over the cab and trying to stay under the legal height limit does not leave a lot of choice. there may be a fifth wheel model out there that would work but I think most would not. A slide in truck camper or a bumper tow trailer seem a better option in that regard. Civvy truck frames generally sit lower than MV's even before super singles.

Another wild-a** idea that runs through my mind is using a school bus body, simply because the roof line when viewed from the front or back closely approximates the look is a cargo cover. Lots of windows would be a plus. Wheel wells could be installed where needed so the whole thing could be much lower on the frame, kind of like an M109 box. Anyway...

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another problem the fifth wheel option has that needs a solution is most need access to the area that would normally be directly behind the tailgate of the towing truck. That is usually where a generator, batteries and propane tanks reside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks