• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting DC alternator to MEP002

jesusgatos

Wondering about spinning a 400A 28V DC alternator with an MEP-002A. Have a bunch of 002's and bought a few of those (MRAP/LMTV?) alternators at auction a whole ago. Seems like it would be pretty easy to machine an adapter that would allow a pulley to be bolted to the fan to drive an alternator. Would be used to charge banks of Hawker 6T-AGM batteries, which I'm currently charging with mil surplus 2000W Outback inverter/chargers. Charging with DC alternator should be more efficient, right? Alternator regulators are already tuned to charge hawker batteries, so the whole thing seems pretty straightforward to me. Thoughts?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good to see you back again.

I would think it should work ok. I still charge my batts one at a time at least once a year though. It helps keep them in top shape.

Carl_in_NH

400A @ 28V is ~15 HP, not including losses; full output would be a bit of a load for an 002 engine. 003 engine wouldn't mind much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks