• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1008 update... Now FS!!

1stDeuce

Ok, my first M1008 is finally on the road!! I ended up doing some bodywork and painting it to kill off the rust and make it a bit more presentable... You can read about that here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27606

It's pretty nice to drive, so long as the speeds stay below 55... I've put about 150 miles on it now, and it's running good!! I'll probably change the oil this week, as I have no idea when that was done last... All fluids checked out fine, and no problems thus far...

The brakes were a little rough at first, but they've smoothed out nicely with some miles. It actually starts in the cold better than my '96 6.5L, and without nearly as much white smoke. (almost none!) Not sure how much of that is the 24V system, but I see no reason to convert it to 12V!! Seems to run pretty strong, though it could probably be turned up a bit w/o issue. I think the fan clutch is even loosening up a bit, as it seemed locked on when I first got it, and now I can spin it somewhat freely.

Anyway, I have it listed in the classifieds for $3000. I'm selling this one because I have another with troop seats (and no trans) that may become my keeper... I'll entertain offers for less, but then I'm keeping the slider window and putting in a flat one. :)

BTW, anybody know why they put 4.56 gears in these things when it seems like 4:10's would have been a better choice?? I suppose in '86, convoy speed was 45mph, but I didn't think CUCV's were rated to tow much anyway?? Just seems like overkill to have such low axle gearing.

Thanks for reading!
C

hobie237

As for the gearing, it makes perfect sense to me- the national speed limit at the time was 55 and I doubt a truck would see faster than that on a base, and certainly not off road, and if they wanted one that would, they could take a Blazer or other vehicle. So they just followed the same rule that I use- go with the lowest gears you can that maintain the top speed you need. Top speed needed was 55, and the 4.56 allows you to go up to 70mph or so if necessary for whatever reason, so it's a match made in heaven. For a vehicle you're expecting to use as a hauler at lower speeds, why *wouldn't* you want lower gears?

MILRET45

I suspect the 4.56 choice had more to do with hauling and towing capability than the national speed limit. Having said that and having had several 1008's and a 3/4 ton 6.2 Suburban with 4.10's, the 4.10's certainly make for better highway driving. Question is why did they go to the opposite extreme with the 1009 and 3.08's?

hobie237

I only mention the speed limit because given the circumstances, there was no reason to design for a top cruising speed of more than 55mph. As such, the good old "lowest gears you can use while maintaining desired top speed" rule of thumb leads to 4.56 gears. I'm thankful they went that way, because 4.56 gears will allow me to run 36" tires with a 700R4 for awesome results.

I do think the Blazer is a more curious gear choice. I understand that they were designed for hauling people in relative comfort over massive amounts of stuff, but I think something in the 3.3-3.6 range would have been better than the doggish 3.08.

AJMBLAZER

Pickups and the 4.56's - Convoy Speed is "supposed" to be 35mph. However having been in one between MCAS El Toro and MCAS Miramar going 45mph down the I15 in Cali I can say even the 5 tons were doing a bit more.
All the military cared was that the truck could safely lug around and stop the max payload and towed load at 35mph. My military operator's manual is in the garage but I think it lists the top speed of the pickups as something like 45mph. Considering a Bradley or Abrams can barely touch that then going faster isn't much of a plus for the military.

M1008 - In the early 80's GM was slapping 3.08 gears in the vast majority of the K5 Blazers and Jimmy's and K10 and K15 pickups being made. It was all about the economy numbers for the fleet mpg thing that the EPA had. GM probably put a better price on the trucks setup with them than anything lower and also were thinking about 3.73 gears + 31" tires + no OD = shortened life span on a 6.2L. 3.42's were available in this time frame but don't seem to have been too common.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks