• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my 818 needs room to travel in!!!

scootertrs

I have a very nice 818 that does not get as much use as it should because quarters are cramped. I am in Miami, FL and it gets HOT here. In mind I have a couple of projects...

1. Singling out the truck... already have the rims, beadlocks, and tires...

2. Putting in an a/c unit (have a brand new in a box Red dot hummer unit waiting for the right time

3... and the doozie... I want to turn it into either 1-a 4 door model w/ suicide doors for the rear, that way I can keep the fuel tanks right where they are, or 2... re mod the truck so I can have 4 doors that open normally or 3. Keep it 2 door, but build a cab behind the cab to fit another seat and storage area. or

4. transfer over a complete cab/fender/sleeper unit from a decomisioned semi... thereby getting most of the a/c unit, the sound proofing, etc.

My intentions are to build a truck that I can on a moments notice get in it and go 1000 miles or more in comfort. I want to ne able to talk to my co-pilot and enjoy the ride.

I have looked through the posts and really have not found any that satisfies my curiosity. any input would be appreciated as this project is not a maybe thing... it is on the front burner and I am beguining to remove extra stuff as we type.

Thanks

R Racing

There was a post were a member really tricked out a m35a2 . Even added power windows and heated seats ect . It was a good read . Do a search the deuce and 5 ton share the same cab.

AceHigh

I always thought Robr's mods set the threshold!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/45448-my-bobbed-deuce-almost-done.html

Air ride seats
70 amp alternator
headlights converted to 24v h4 Bulbs
4 Hella 24v Fog Lights
False fuel Tank installed with a 24v air compressor hidden inside and Extra Air tank for seats
Dyno mat in cab to deaden the sound
rear exhaust
Electric Wipers
2 large high lift Jacks mounted on the bed side with key lock pins ( I still need to take pics of this )
have a headliner, center console, back cab walls, & door panels modeled up in catia just need to make the time to get it on the CNC machine and have it vaccum formed
I have these parts waiting to be installed
Electric windows and door poppers
24 volt warn 3000lb winch for the bed
24 volt warn 13000lb winch for the front
and I am sure I am missing a lot of other mods

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"My intentions are to build a truck that I can on a moments notice get in it and go 1000 miles or more in comfort."

Are we still talking about an 818??

scootertrs

"My intentions are to build a truck that I can on a moments notice get in it and go 1000 miles or more in comfort."

Are we still talking about an 818??
yep... exactly what I have in mind... an air conditioned 5 passenger 818 with insulation and a stereo... maybe a "small" flatbed with a toolbox for luggage... twin stacks like davep's ... still 6wd, still sporting a winch, maybe the rear bench seat will fold down into a bed or a cot... tomorrow the tool box, 5th wheel and spare tire and carrier come off...

Oh yeah... forgot... going to have to figure out how many leafs to remove from my springs so it does not bounce so much bobtailing without a load

Last edited:

quickfarms

Bighurt

The photo is of the actual truck hitting the beach

The truck is an ex USNAVY Sea Bees 15 ton flatbed

The truck is designed to transport a 20' iso container

The truck was delivered to port hueneme, Ventura CA
The truck was later transfered to NAS North Island, San Diego CA

The truck is a 1989 ford FT-900