• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My awesome new PLATINUM motor oil!!!! Now my engine is making the bad noises.

WildernessJeep

IMG_5525.jpg

I got the M936 about a month ago and changed all fluids and filters upon arrival. We drove it around the neighborhood a few times with no problems. I even got to use the crane a couple of times! Then I took it on a 5 mile highway trip, going about 55 mph (not floored). About halfway back, I got a "pow" and noticeable louder engine noise. All gauges remained within limits, and I drove it home several miles (taking it even easier). Upon return, the motor oil was PLATINUM!!! That's a great bonus. My engine had about 10 gallons of gray sludge where the motor oil was supposed to be.

Truck sat a week, waiting on my schedule to clear. I moved it to the shop with my drop deck 18-wheeler, so no engine start with the sludge. Here's my remedy thus far:

1) drained all the motor oil, I got about 10 gallons of platinum sludge. PLATINUM!!!
2) drained the engine coolant, I only got about 2 gallons of coolant out. The coolant was clearly mixed in the engine oil.
3) put 2 gallons of diesel fuel in the top of the motor, twice. Each time I got even more platinum out.
4) changed the filter. More platinum.
5) put fresh motor oil in the engine. Because I haven't fixed the cooler yet, I did NOT put more coolant in the engine.
6) started the engine without problem (some white smoke). have only run it for a few minutes since to diagnose the problem and to flush the fresh oil (hoping to resolve the clacking).

Following those remedies, I still have milky oil and a loud clacking sound. It really makes mechanically minded people wince. It sounds like a clacking in the middle cylinder. No loss of engine power (I haven't been beyond an idle since). The gauges read normal, but oil pressure is high at about 100 psi. Clearly the motor oil and coolant had mixed thoroughly. Based upon the suggestions in the forum, I think it is the oil cooler, so I ordered a new one, and will install tomorrow. I'm still getting the sick "clacking"sound and a ton of blowby, which was specifically not present prior to this issue. I have some white smoke from the exhaust, and can clearly hear one of the cylinders "ain't right" at the exhaust pipe.

To further diagnose, I:

6) pulled the head covers, they were full of platinum, so I cleaned each in a parts washer and poured about a gallon of fresh oil down from the top. More sludge from the bottom came out with a fresh engine oil change.
7) Ran it for about 5 minutes, diagnosing the headers, then changed the filter and motor oil again. The engine oil is now more of a milky substance, not the gray mud I started with, but not clear caramel either.

I still have the clacking sound, and the oil is gray again, but seems to be more viscous. I'll change it again tomorrow. I'll also scope the bottom half of the motor through the drain plug hole to check the lifter bearing and cam, as available.

So now my questions:

a) what's the best way to truly clean out this engine? I can drop the oil pan and clean out as much as I can reach, but I wanted to spray something up from the bottom to clean it well. What cleaner should I use to clean the old oil out, but not scar the engine and bearings? Someone mentioned Seafoam, but for that, I might as well use diesel fuel. I was planning to use an aerosol something, but what?

b) what's the clacking sound? I thought it would be a bent lifter, but they all look good, and each has a good waterfall of platinum cascading in the video. Pushing down on each lifter during idle, they all feel about the same. The sound is really mid-engine, well below the header rack. See video attached below.

c) what other steps should I take after introducing 6 gallons of coolant into my engine oil? I've flooded other vehicles before, but those were hydrolocked gasoline engines (just pull the plugs and turn it over with the starter a few times). What do I need to preserve the longevity of this engine?

I've researched the manual, and it doesn't say much about remedies, only how to change out parts. You guys are my go-to source on this!!! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go ahead and pull it and rebuild it. Was a truck that probably had never really been worked and had a bad rebuilt motor in it. We have all seen it. Most just throw a rod when a load it put on the motor.

Wish I had xray vision to see a bent lifter thru the side of the motor without pulling the air compressor and injection pump.

WildernessJeep

Go ahead and pull it and rebuild it. Was a truck that probably had never really been worked and had a bad rebuilt motor in it. We have all seen it. Most just throw a rod when a load it put on the motor.

Wish I had xray vision to see a bent lifter thru the side of the motor without pulling the air compressor and injection pump.

I'm good with a rebuild, but I don't want to do that if I can help it. I don't think it's a rod or something big, and the clacking is about half as loud with the fresh oil (a thrown rod wouldn't be). Can I see all the rods if I pull the pan?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm good with a rebuild, but I don't want to do that if I can help it. I don't think it's a rod or something big, and the clacking is about half as loud with the fresh oil (a thrown rod wouldn't be). Can I see all the rods if I pull the pan?
Looking at rings or a

Sound similar to this?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That one was a bad liner. That is member acme66 truck. He was lugging the motor and caused that catastrophe. He had priors for lugging the motor and having to rebuild it several times due to operator error.

Most nhc250s had untorqued rod bearing caps that would let go. No noise at idle or light driving but with a load would throw it out the block. This was being done by the rebuilder at RRAD.

I would suspect liner on your engine as well which can dump coolant to the oil

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What surprises me is that an engine with that kind of damage runs at all, and with so little "damage noise". If a sleeve disintegrates like that, doesn't that mean that one cylinder is more or less wobbling free through the block, and the diesel mixture exploding directly into your block?

74M35A2

Sorry to hear, what a drag of a way to kick off a new vehicle purchase.

Great time to go with a turbo 855 like a Big Cam 400 engine. Can be bought low cost running. The heavy wreckers could use the extra power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks