• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My bob/air ride is on its' way to getting done!

ccf460

Pics up!..My bob/air ride is on its' way to getting done!

I am finally making progress with my M35A2. The old suspension is gone (man, I hate those rivets). I picked up the back half of a road tractor with a freightliner air ride, cut the suspension from the frame (alot easier to remove than the deuce). I just finished mounting the front brackets,leaf springs, and new u bolts. I have to shim down the frame where the air bags mount to keep the right range of operation of the bags. I am using the bed off of my M105 trailer, with a slight variation from the norm. I have never cared for the gap caused by the rear cab mount-to-bed relationship. I spaced the bed about 8" from the rear of the cab to make room for a jerry can mount on each side. I am hoping to make the gap serve a purpose, and to make it a little different than the rest.I want to thank the entire SS community for tech support either directly or indirectly(search engine), with a tremendous thank you to member "Cidrich", he has been invaluable to getting this project off the ground. I met him when he came to purchase my factory bed. It is actually his "fault" that I am doing air ride instead of the M105 trailer suspension. I saw his truck when he came over, and was amazed at how clean and factory looking his air ride turned out. If you have not seen his truck, it is to say the least incredible. I will post some pics in the next couple of days.

I removed the blocks in the earlier pics(between the bags and frame), the lift that it provided was actually needed.
The axle is on top of the leaf spings. I am having a slight issue with the driver side being about 3/4 of an inch high,
still trying to sort it out. I will switch the output airlines from my ride height switch, than try swapping the bags side
to side, to rule out any issues in those items. It might be caused by front spring sag, Cidrich said he has seen a few
trucks exhibit the same issue. I stil have to mount the panhard bar, and figure out how to secure the bed.
(it is just sitting on the truck for the pics).

deuce 001.jpgdeuce 002.jpgdeuce 003.jpgdeuce 004.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

cidrich

Thanks for the compliments. I am glad you are making progress. And as most people on here would say nopics. I am sorry I just had to. I will get the brackets that we talked about ready for you. I cant wait to see it finished. I am sure you will ejoy it. The air ride makes ALOT of difference. If you have any question dont hesitate to call. Again THANKS for the compliments and I talk to you later. I know I need to use the deuce bed! :beer:

ccf460

I just uploaded a few pics. It looks like the box section for the air bag top mount is going to work, so now I will duplicate it for the other side. Also, I am not lifting the truck beyond the factory height(for now ,anyway), and this is causing the pinion to aim up at approx. 12 degrees. I am going to order some mild steel 8 degree wedges and weld them to the axle itself, should mostly correct the problem. This is so much fun! The only drawback is working outside ,halfway in the grass ( I am using a skid steer for the heavy lifting and it can't be on concrete with the steel tracks).

ccf460

Yes, if I put the axle under the spring, and try to maintain the approximate ride height of 10.75" between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame,the air bags would have to be of a considerably smaller relaxed height. The airbags I have are approx. 10" fully bottomed.If you figure 10.75" (the ideal factory height between axle and frame), plus the thickness of the leaf spring at 3.25",plus the thickness of the axle-to-spring mount at .75", it only leaves about 6.5" for the airbag in what is supposed to be somewhat of a inflated state. I would have much rather went under the leaf,but unless you are wanting lift (approx. 6" or so), or can find a very small air bag, it just doesn't work out. I am no authority on this, but these are my findings. If someone has a better idea , I am all ears.

ccf460

I agree, that was my intent when this project started. I started the install, and figured out, the bags would not fit. Fortunately the springs and everything don't hang down any further than the differential center.The truck that gave me the inspiration for this project (Cidrich's), has the leaves on top of the axle, but he also is attaining 8" or so of lift.

ccf460

I need to correct an earlier statement about clearance. The factory dog bone mount hangs down about 6.75", the new system is about 7.75",so I did give up about an inch of ground clearance for the air suspension.Both systems hang down further than the differential housing.

ccf460

Okay, I know it has been a little while with no updates. I wasn't satisfied with the geometry of my current setup, the air ride leaves are supposed to be level with the frame and mine were at a 12 degree pitch.
I also wasn't thrilled with the looks of the axle over the leaves , and the bags were a little bit in harms way. I decided to go under the leaves with a few changes. First, I split the leaf packs ,(under the advice of my local big truck service center and Cidrich), the dual leaf system is the same as the single leaf ,if you take the helper off. That bought me about 1.5", and still has a 12,000 lb. capacity on the rear axle. I love the looks of the axle under the leaf (pics soon). I am getting about 2~2.5" of unwanted lift(this is with my airbags running closer to the bottom than I was originally thinking), but I am hoping it will not be noticeable once the truck is back together and sitting on level ground. If is not acceptable, I will lift the front as well.
Thank you "FirefighterHill" for questioning my current setup ,and making me reconsider the direction of my project.I know I will be happier in the end, even if I have to work on the front a little.

ccf460

I just picked up the new shorter u bolts,had the driveshaft re tubed, new ujoints in the driveshaft. The weather is slowing me down some as well as
having family come for the week of Christmas. Ever seen lampoon's " Family Christmas"?, its like that ,even have a cousin Eddie.

cidrich

MERRY CHRISTMAS! And I am glad you are getting closer. Oh yea forgot to get back with you on the u bolts. I coould use them if you still have them. I have been pretty busy the past few days. If you need help on your truck just let me know!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks