• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Bobbed XM818 by Mr. Trapp

Blythewoodjoe

Hello all,

I have my bobbed 818 in the most presentable shape it has been in, in a while, so I thought I would post a few pictures. I cut a deuce bed down to 9' feet, more or less and put it on a set of rails that are mounted on a dump hoist. In one of the pictures I have the bed off. It can be removed in about 15 minutes (with the help of my excavator). I have a goose neck hitch set up for pulling trailers. I posted some pictures last year of that set up. The bed will be on it unless I need to use the big trailer again. I made it a dumper because, well they are nice to have. Very light weight set up but I did not want to spend any real money on the hoist.

I converted it over to unimount wheels a few weeks back and I have put 22.5 x 14" wheel on the rear and 12.25" on the front. I still need to get two new tires for the front, but at $550 each, that will have to wait a while. 455/55R22.5 on the rear and 425/65R22.5 on the front for now. I plan to put two General grabber 385/65R22.5 on the front as soon as I find $1100 around here.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks sharp Joe!

Got any pics or info on the back hinges for the dump? How they mount etc?

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Looks sharp. Are you going to leave those aluminum wheels shiny? I've got to post some pics of the USMC M813 that I bought from of you and bobbed.

Section8

Looks great! Do you have a detailed thread about the unmount hub swap?
550 for those tires? That's what we Canadians pay per tire for well used Military tires.
Any concerns about those rims warping or cracking under stress when off roading?
The dump system sounds great and probably close to what I am planning for my rig. Let us know how it was done.
Keep up the great work.

Blythewoodjoe

Shiny is here to stay. Aluminum is just too sporty.

Here's the thread on the unimount swap. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...anging-my-M818-to-hub-piloted-unimount-wheels

I would not have swapped them over to unimount if I had known I could find bud wheels in aluminum. Harder to find bud wheels like that but they are out there. I really just wanted to go with wide 22.5 tires.

The dump is just parts from a lift gate we removed from a truck years ago. A store bought hoist would be nice but I only have about $200 in my set up. I might one day put something better under it. I will take some pictures. I put an electric pump and a 12 volt battery in one of the battery boxes to run the dump. I just charge the battery when it gets low. I can dump it a dozen times on a charge with no trouble.

I mounted a piece of frame just behind the axle and put a 30,000 pound ball on it. Here's a thread with a couple pictures of a trailer on the hitch. If anyone is interested I can post how I ran the 12 volt lights and brakes. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...s-in-my-5-ton-toaster-moving-trucks&highlight=

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks