• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My bobber is finally done!

MO MV man

Hello all!

First, a big thanks to all who gave me input here on SS.
Couldn't have done it without you!
A big thanks to my brothers for stopping by to lend a hand with the HEAVY stuff and my buddy's service truck crane to get the bed off and on.

In the course of a week of vacation, I worked from the time I dropped my daughter off at day camp until supper, sometimes bedtime, I performed the mod.
Of course Mother Nature gave me the hottest week of summer to do what I was doing. I lost some weight from the colossal amount of sweating and water intake. :)

Anyway, it was a VERY straightforward project.
Here are few highlights.

The Bed:
I knew I'd be shortening the stock bed (I love the original deuce look more than an M105 or M101 bed).
I did that by cutting off the tailgate section, then a piece of the bed to give me 3 feet shorter.
Welded the tailgate section back on.
Shortened the troop seat wood and put all it's brackets back on.
Yes, the troop seats are fully functional, only 3 feet shorter. 8)
The Frame:
Again, very straightforward......3 feet shorter.
In the pursuit of keeping it "original deuce looking", I retained the pintle hook, bumperettes and taillight brackets.
The rear suspension:
Front Deuce suspension from Rodney Fultz.
Again, VERY straightforward.
I moved the axle back 2 inches to center it in the bed length.
Measure 10 times, drill and mount once. No worries. ;-)
Rear driveshaft:
I reused the stock front driveshaft.
I only moved the axle back 2 inches and there is PLENTY of splineage in the slip yoke to accomdate that.
Wheels and tires:
By far the most expensive part of the project but worth every penny.
Rodney Fultz again. VERY fair prices and shipping!
The HEMTT wheels and the 395 XML's are VERY easy to mount and inflate.
MUCH dish soap and take your time.
The take a long time to inflate.
I ended up using an over the road truck large bore valve stem recommended by an SS member. VERY NICE!

I'm positively thrilled with the results.
It's worlds easier to maneuver.
Driving it to the store is a piece of cake now.
Took it to work yesterday.

In all seriousness, I had about $300-350 in the bob-cost of the front suspension.
The big wheels and tires were the biggest expense (isn't that the case with ANY car or truck project? ha ha ha) at about $2200.

Again, a BIG thanks to SS!! [thumbzup]

zout

[thumbzup][thumbzup]
very nice job - understand the HOT sweating thing ya had going on.

I really like the star neg/pos stencil on the door - somewhere down the road I might steal that idea from you.

MO MV man

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.

Nothing I wanted more than to hear my rig being accepted by my fellow compadres on SS.

I can't emphasize enough how much easier it is to drive and maneuver now.

Not to mention, I've had THREE people stop by and ask "what do you want for it?".

It's an attention-magnet, too. LOVE IT! :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks