• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My cucv flatbed project

jimmy-90

Well this has been a long time project i"ve been working on but im finally done. I've mentioned it a couple times on here and put up a couple pics of my progress in a similar thread so finally here is my completed M1028 SECM body truck converted to a flatbed. I've seen a couple threads about doing this lately and I hope this inspires somebody. I was inspired by mtjbrowns truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

big block 88

You have officailly found the only way to make a CUCV more badass.

Only thingI would do is skirt the bed by the fuel tanks, but it looks very nice. Good job

jimmy-90

Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Like I said when I saw mtjbrowns M1031 that he converted to a flatbed it made me really think serously about doing that myself so of course like everything elese these days I turned to youtube for some quick tutorials on how to build something like that. Here are a couple of videos I used to get ideas. Note that these guys are useing some pretty big chanel irons. I went with 2X4X3/16" chanel iron to frame mine out and 2X2" square tubing for the headache bar in order to keep things on the light side. I bent the tubing for the headache bar myself by notching it and then putting it into the trailer hitch to bend it. Once I got it bent to the right shape I welded the notches shut. I used some pretty big gussets to make it rigid so that it if someone bumps the backstop with a forklift or something while loading it will push the whole truck forward and not bend the headache bar and backstop into the cab. Anyhow here are the videos. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe60dxIANgw&feature=related[/media]http://www.youtube.com/user/majorhavic#p/u/0/XkG9SChxpqM

Last edited:

jimmy-90

You have officailly found the only way to make a CUCV more badass.

Only thingI would do is skirt the bed by the fuel tanks, but it looks very nice. Good job
That's a pretty good Idea. I was thinking about putting a toolbox on the passenger side under the bed. If I had a toolbox on one side i'm pretty sure I could fab up a skirt for the fuel tank side and get them to match.

armytruck63

That's a pretty good Idea. I was thinking about putting a toolbox on the passenger side under the bed. If I had a toolbox on one side i'm pretty sure I could fab up a skirt for the fuel tank side and get them to match.
I like the idea of a box guarding the fuel tank on the driver's side and a tool box of the same dimensions on the passenger side. If you ever have to stop on the side of the highway to get into the tool box, you'll be on the side of the truck away from traffic.

that1028guy

I am working on moving/replacing the fuel tank with a suburban type unit, not only will it give you more range, but puts it up out of the way in case you get T-Boned. What did you do with the 31 bed? Trade it for the steel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks