• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My First MEP-002 w/ASK & M200A1 trailer

DeucesWild11

Well it's Christmas again for me! I just won this MEP-002 with the ASK and M200A1 trailer! I can't be happier so far as this was just what I was looking for and with the ASK (Acoustic Suppression Kit) and the Trailer it was only like $200 more then the other MEP-002's that were just auctioned off.

There is only about 200 hours on the engine so I am not sure if that is actual or if there was a re-build sometime along the way.

Going to pick it up in a few days and take it back on a 300 mi trip back home. I plan on bringing my grease gun to lube it up before towing it back. Yes I already confirmed they will let me tow it off base.

Anything I should look out for before the trip back? I do plan on stopping along the way several times to check the hubs for heat but other than that I think I am OK. Total weight is a little over 3,000# which is way under the limit for the Navigator.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Thanks guys most I was thinking of and planning on bringing, mainly the magnetic lights and a bumper jack which came in handy with my M105 recovery. Air compressor I didn't think of but will be in the back of the truck when I go for the pickup. I think so long as it's all greased up with good tires I should be all set to roll.

I will use this Post as I make updates to the generator and trailer, probably just some rust proofing before the winter..

DeucesWild11

Big trailer for a little generator lol.
Genset looks nice though
Yeah I thought it was a little overkill as well with the dual wheels, I am sure it was designed for a much bigger one. However, with the dual wheels and me planning on possibly taking it over grass that will help with less pounds per square inch on the tires and hopefully not tear up the lawn as much..

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nicest part of these trailers is you can see them while backing up by yourself, in a deuce that is. I mounted my 002a and a 40ft crankup tower to one for that sole reason.

derf

Bring farm jack, compressor (tire inflator), big lug wrench, magnetic lights, straps. I try to bring extra spare wheels/tires if picking up a trailer. Many of the trailers I've seen have really bad tires on them. Some had little to no wear but were cracked and ruined by age. In general they don't put good rubber on trailers they're getting rid of. In my experience they put the least valuable tire that will hold air.

DeucesWild11

Derf, thanks for the post. I was planning on bringing all which you have said, except the tires. It has dual tires on both sides and for a trailer that big it probably only needs singles, so technically there are two spares on it already. I have seen the other MEP002 trailers that have different tires on them and they are usually flat in the pics..

Perhaps I'll bring an extra one from the deuce just incase..

DeucesWild11

Got it back home yesterday no issues on the 267 mile trip back. The tires are brand new! I have never seen NDT's that look that good. The rims look brand new as well. Weird:cookoo: Anyway the trip back was thankfully uneventful except for when I95 was closed and all traffic was diverted to the back roads so I lost and hour there.

Now for the checkup. The ASK gave it's life to a family of mice which tore up all the insulation on the inside. The fuel tank looks like it came off of the Titanic, more rust in there then under my deuce! Fuel filters and tank all smell like Turpentine! So I will need to clean that all out. There are two batteries there, I think they are dead but I am going to try and revive them. A few wires were chewed threw by the mice but other than that it's all there and fairly rust free (except for the tank)

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Thanks dependable, is there an easy way to check that? I am still familiarizing myself with the unit and the TM's Can I do any damage if it is stuck and I crank it over?:roll:

Thanks!

dependable

My first MEP-002a was a high hour unit with the turpentine smell, but all dried. Turned out the IP plunger shaft was sheared. Not sure if it was already like that, but I think it probably happened on my first starting attempt Later post in same thread relates to ASK unit too. permalink

I will add that after getting cylinder unstuck, it started briefly then stalled. I unstuck the IP plunger as outlined in WIKI and it ran fine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks