• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Jenny's been keeping a dirty little secret from me.....

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, I pulled the top cover over the control panel for the first time and got a surprise. Although they did a pretty good job of cleaning her up when she had a Reset (see picture on left), she's still carrying some remnants of her former life. She ran great through Hurricane Irma, and has been pretty trouble-free in the year and a half since I got her.
So, what I'm pondering is how to deal with all that sand. For the most part, it's not loose / dusty - it seems to be caked on almost. I'm thinking at least take a shop-vac with brush head to start with. Is this cause for a complete PM tear-down - or just start stocking up on switches? How big an issue would you all say I have here??

20180102_204455.jpg20180102_204406.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd blast it with electric contact cleaner and use compressed air to dry it out with. I know some have used brake cleaner the same way, but I can't bring myself to recommend it.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd blast it with electric contact cleaner and use compressed air to dry it out with. I know some have used brake cleaner the same way, but I can't bring myself to recommend it.
Make sure you use full face protection and at least a particulate mask while doing this, even if you don't have your face in front of the panel, dirt will come flying out and go everywhere.

Bmxenbrett

I would start by useing a small scrub brush and a shop vac to get anything thats easy to remove. Then blow gun. Then resort to wet cleaning.
But in all realty if the seitches, contacts and terminals are clean its no big deal to leave it there. Unfortunately those are the hardest to clean.
I would disconnect the batterys before you start to clean.

just me

Dirt in there won't usually be an issue as long as it is dry. The instant it gets damp, weird things will happen and 'go wrongs' will occur.
I would recommend a moderately stiff brush and vacuum for first round. Power off! Then do it again with a smaller nozzle and softer brush.
You'll be amazed at how clean you can get it!

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the tips. Jenny served us well again yesterday, as we were without power for around 12 hours in the ice storm caused by Grayson as it passed by heading north. I buttoned everything back up as-is until I can get enough time (hopefully warmer time) to do it properly.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dirt in there won't usually be an issue as long as it is dry. The instant it gets damp, weird things will happen and 'go wrongs' will occur.
I would recommend a moderately stiff brush and vacuum for first round. Power off! Then do it again with a smaller nozzle and softer brush.
You'll be amazed at how clean you can get it!
These generators continue to amaze me - this generator was outside working like a beast in the middle of Hurricane Irma, and there is no sign of that dirt inside ever having gotten wet (other than maybe a few drizzle trails down the bulkhead at the top of the picture). Definitely will get to work cleaning it up, though.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that storm is now hitting me. 9in of snow and 30-40mph winds.
Stay safe - Grayson wasn't nearly as developed when he passed my way - we only had freezing rain and sleet with 10 mph winds for most of the day yesterday. Now the sun's out and it's back in the 40's. Roads are clear now and the ice has fallen off the trees.

Guyfang

Staff member
Seen worse. You will be alright. The tips were right on. I would not use water, or solvent. Do put something on the rusty TB, (terminal board) screws, that eats rust. Hopefully you will never need to remove them, but if you do, they are renowned for breaking off. The same with S8. If there is any sign of mouse droppings, DO use a mask. Mouse crap carries some ugly bugs and sicknesses in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks