• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M35A2 Cargo Dump Truck

jatonka

The truck is still under construction but now able to dump under it's own power. All the real work is done, the pto control linkage is complete and works perfect. The hoist control cable is done and works very smoothly. First time out doors so I could raise it all the way up is right now, Happy Thanksgiving !!

Attachments

Last edited:

mangus580

Lookin great John!!!

I learned 2 things when I got my deuce...

1. They are a long way up! Ergo, a hay elevator for filling it with firewood...
  2. Thats alot of firewood to toss out by hand!!
Dumpin Deuces are GREAT

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new tipper will start it's 1900 mile pilgrimage south tomorrow or Saturday. Might be a year before I get it but at least its coming.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My new tipper will start it's 1900 mile pilgrimage south tomorrow or Saturday. Might be a year before I get it but at least its coming.
Kenny, Looks like jatonka may have a deuce dump before you do:-D.

I've been thinking about a dump and gathering parts for over a year but havn't stated it yet. I've installed several dumps on civy trucks but not on a deuce yet. One issue I've seen is a deuce bed frame is very light compared to factory dump beds. I'm thinking at the very least you need to box the main c-channel frame if you plan on dumping very heavy loads.

Mods, feel free to move my post here from Kenny's thread where I hijacked his thread on this subject.

jatonka

I agree on re-inforcing the M35 frame if you expect to use it for a heavy material dump truck. Remember, 2 1/2 tons off road, 5 tons on road, but if that doesn't suit you, you need to add a plate from the front of the tandem mount plate to the rear hanger of the front axle spring. It's serious work, but thats the way the truck body outfits do it. Or mount a subframe under the cargo dump and re-inforce from the middle of the cab to 2 feet back of the cab. My cargo dump is not re-inforced, I have 2 real dump trucks for dirt, this one is for lumber, sawdust and firewood only. No matter what, dumping cargo trucks are slicker than a greased pig. JT out

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't talking about the frame of the truck. I was talking about the bed frame. While the bed is bolted down to the truck the bed is supported by the truck frame somewhat. When you add a dump all that weight is suported on the rear hinge and the hoist with no support between them two points while dumping.

What's already there may be strong enough as long as you stay within the 5 ton weight limit but we all know what most people do (including myself) when you load a dump. You keep pilling it on untill it runs off the sides or the springs and or tires "look" overloaded. By the time any of that happens with alot of materials you're going to be over the 5-ton limit. I'm not saying it's safe to overload a deuce but it happens. Even more so when you know you're not going to have to unload it by shovel :-D.

sprucemt

I wasn't talking about the frame of the truck. I was talking about the bed frame. While the bed is bolted down to the truck the bed is supported by the truck frame somewhat. When you add a dump all that weight is suported on the rear hinge and the hoist with no support between them two points while dumping.

What's already there may be strong enough as long as you stay within the 5 ton weight limit but we all know what most people do (including myself) when you load a dump. You keep pilling it on untill it runs off the sides or the springs and or tires "look" overloaded. By the time any of that happens with alot of materials you're going to be over the 5-ton limit. I'm not saying it's safe to overload a deuce but it happens. Even more so when you know you're not going to have to unload it by shovel :-D.
I lined up a rebuild job for John a couple of years ago. 2.5 ton dump by Sarafan. When the owner dumped the truck, the load got stuck.
The bed of the truck was fine. The frame between the rear axles bent and humped up on both sides.
John swapped out the frame for the owner.

LanceRobson

Okay John, now you've really gone and pushed me over the edge.....

As soon as deer season quiets down I'll have to get my welder/fabricator buddy and drive over to see this thing.

I want to make one of mine into a dump for light utility stuff around the farm.

Geez, John, my projects have already got projects. Why'd you have to go and post this???

Lance

sprucemt

Okay John, now you've really gone and pushed me over the edge.....

As soon as deer season quiets down I'll have to get my welder/fabricator buddy and drive over to see this thing.

I want to make one of mine into a dump for light utility stuff around the farm.

Geez, John, my projects have already got projects. Why'd you have to go and post this???

Lance
See what happens when you "retire"

jatonka

M16ty, I apologize for mis reading your post on frame re-inforcing the deuce bed frame. Mainly because it was very apparent to me that the cargo box frame rails are light and would need to be boxed at hinge and hoist attachment areas. Mine is well re-inforced. It might show in the original photos. JT

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
JA, take a look at what Gringeltaube has done for his hinges:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=3104&&page=4

I think you would sell a TON of kits if you could offer a dump conversion whose kit included a way to keep the truck looking stock (i.e retention of the bumperettes).

Now, I realize that the bumperettes restrict to a certain maximum angle.... so why not make some kind of "quick attachment" like a pin on the top and a hinge of some sort on the bottom so that you could could simply drop the bumperette when needed?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don, Was it all the weight on the rear hinges when the load stuck that caused the frame to bend? I would think the front wheels would come off the ground before the frame bent. How heavy was the truck loaded?

Clinto, I've thought about comming up with a kit because I've installed several dumps on civy trucks and pretty well know what it takes. The problem with a deuce kit would be the price. Most people wouldn't be willing to pay what it would cost. Hoist and pumps aren't cheap unless you can find them used. You'd have more money in the kit than most people gave for their truck. That's the conclusion I came to anyway.

sprucemt

Don, Was it all the weight on the rear hinges when the load stuck that caused the frame to bend? I would think the front wheels would come off the ground before the frame bent. How heavy was the truck loaded?

Clinto, I've thought about comming up with a kit because I've installed several dumps on civy trucks and pretty well know what it takes. The problem with a deuce kit would be the price. Most people wouldn't be willing to pay what it would cost. Hoist and pumps aren't cheap unless you can find them used. You'd have more money in the kit than most people gave for their truck. That's the conclusion I came to anyway.
Ya think? It amazed me when I saw where the frame bent. To have all the weight on the end of the frame and the front end just a swayin in the breeze.

Sarafan did a huge number of dumps on 2.5 ton trucks. There is a void in that market place and would highly suggest you persue a high end kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks