• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M920 (figured it should be in the hotrod forum since it has pyro and boost gauges)

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had it for awhile, but haven't taken the time to take any pictures of it. the plans are for it to be a toterhome with a 16-20 ft box and a liftgate. 16.00 20's are in it's future along with 4.88 gears. :driver:

First off that is a sweet looking rig! Congrats on the purchase. :)

Now for a question. You mentioned converting it to a toterhome. Do you mean as in having a fifth wheel on the back or are you going for a normal RV conversion? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out how a toterhome (a tractor/RV combo) would work with a liftgate on the back.

Ruppster

Slicks

First off that is a sweet looking rig! Congrats on the purchase. :)

Now for a question. You mentioned converting it to a toterhome. Do you mean as in having a fifth wheel on the back or are you going for a normal RV conversion? The reason I ask is I'm trying to figure out how a toterhome (a tractor/RV combo) would work with a liftgate on the back.

Ruppster
It will be an RV with a "slide in" fifth wheel, should the need to tow a light weight trailer arise like another RV fifth wheel or a car trailer etc.

destroked

I was told I should check in here. I read the post on the other forum about your hitch. (I am interested, but I doubt distance is going to make it worthwhile to either of us). I have the same model truck as Jeff.

This is exactly the type of setup we've been looking at lately as well. Our plans will be nearly identical to yours.

Can you tolerate the noise in the cab at highway speeds or does it require ear muffs like the deuces I've been in over the years?

I'm going to be building our RV body within the dimensions of an ISO container so I can dismount it as needed, the tail roll and winch has alot of potential, if you decide to remove them, let me know as well.

Slicks

I was told I should check in here. I read the post on the other forum about your hitch. (I am interested, but I doubt distance is going to make it worthwhile to either of us). I have the same model truck as Jeff.

This is exactly the type of setup we've been looking at lately as well. Our plans will be nearly identical to yours.

Can you tolerate the noise in the cab at highway speeds or does it require ear muffs like the deuces I've been in over the years?

I'm going to be building our RV body within the dimensions of an ISO container so I can dismount it as needed, the tail roll and winch has alot of potential, if you decide to remove them, let me know as well.
I personally don't think it is that noisy, but I am a Drag racer/and off roader type who rides motorcycles.....sooooo it seem fine to me, I can tell you it is no Volvo (but I like that because I have a front driven axle now :razz:). I had thought about the shipping container idea, but not sure I want to worry about loading and unloading the containers. It would be cool though to be able to load an ISO "RV" for camping, then come home and dump it off, then pull a different container up on the truck that has a car tied down inside transport it to where ever and then drop that off, bolt the hitch back on and hook up to a lo boy and go pick up your recent GL purchases (which better include a kevlar vest as I know my wife would be shooting at me by then!) You are the Dave who had inquired about my WIA for the cab right?

oldMan99

Good luck on the 4.88 gears. I have actively been looking for a set for about 2-3 months now.

If you find a valid set of part numbers and a place that actually has the gear sets in stock, PLEASE IM or PM me immediately. (The front tandem takes a different part number than the other two and if I have been informed correctly, the front (Steer) is different than the aft tandem but that may not be correct. - In any case, I beleive there are at least 2 different part numbers, possibly 3)

Bighurt

If you find a valid set of part numbers and a place that actually has the gear sets in stock, PLEASE IM or PM me immediately. (The front tandem takes a different part number than the other two and if I have been informed correctly, the front (Steer) is different than the aft tandem but that may not be correct. - In any case, I beleive there are at least 2 different part numbers, possibly 3)

According to the -24P

A-35156-9.6.17 front ring and pinion set
A-35156-8-6.17 intermediate ring and pinion set
A38249-6.17 Rear ring and pinion set

The beveled gears in each of the rear sets have the same part number, as well as the pinions.

What I find is weird is the front ring and pinion individual part numbers are the same as the rears however they lack the -6.17...

In any case your looking at 2 different rings and 2 different pinions.

destroked

Yes, I was asking about your cab. If you decide to part it out, let me know. I have not given up on the old truck yet, it is simply not going to be a primary toy anymore. I'm considering bobbing it down to a local route truck. It has plenty of life left in it's drivetrain, it's just not worth the money to me to convert it into a full bodied coach to haul my family of 4. A true all wheel drive chassis like you have that can operate off road and in the snow on our ranch is much more appealing to our long term plans for a coach/expedition vehicle.

As to the gearing, has anyone found any higher ratio gearing for these trucks at all? Even a mid 5 to 1 ring and pinion may be enough for me if I go with a taller tire or different transmission. If I can get it to 65 mph without feeling like the rods are going to come through the block, that would certainly make a huge difference for me.

My current class 8 tractor has 3.90 gears with a 9 speed rockwell, 12.7 detroit 60 series. I have never had the need or desire to take it over 70 mph. I usually cruise at 65mph or so, which is the speed limit for commercial trucks in the states I've operated in for the most part.

oldMan99

According to the -24P

A-35156-9.6.17 front ring and pinion set
A-35156-8-6.17 intermediate ring and pinion set
A 38249-6.17 Rear ring and pinion set

The beveled gears in each of the rear sets have the same part number, as well as the pinions.

What I find is weird is the front ring and pinion individual part numbers are the same as the rears however they lack the -6.17...

In any case your looking at 2 different rings and 2 different pinions.
Great info.... however... This is for the stock gear sets in stock ratio. What we need is part numbers for gear sets with different ratios. Something like 4.88.

There is a SS member who has been working on this issue for some time and Just today I learned that he may actually have found some useful information. He is still working on it and I am confident that when/if he has some solid information we will see a post about it. I just hope this info is more reliable than the "Next month" info from the Shrike (After market M16 belt feed system) people... :)

This is pretty much my last hope of ever seeing gears for these trucks. As I noted, I have searched for quite some time and have yet to come up with any real, solid leads.

In the mean time, replacing the very restrictive air filter and muffler with larger, high performance units and installing the dual fuel feed "Kit" combined with a professional fuel pump adjustment on a professional flow bench will provide both more horsepower and better MPG.

Lacking the availability of gears 48 or 53" tires will make a difference but as noted by the math on this page: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/62707-m920-differential-gears.html (Bottom of page 2) I think going with both gears AND larger tires may well be a mistake from a performance and MPG stand point as the 2 combined look like it puts you out of the optimal operating RPM range of the Big Cam 400 with the factory CAT trans.

For some good info on optional tires sizes for this series of trucks, see the last couple posts on page 11 in this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-mods-hot-rodding/62594-m916-m920-tech-tips-11.html#post766594

The best way to improve MPG? Only drive downhill.... ever. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks