• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M998 Arrived Today (could questions)

DCIV

Finally got my M998 today and have spent all morning going through it. We had to jump it off the trailer but then it drove nicely around. Parking brake wasn't holding for anything and was pretty much worthless, looked up in the manual how to adjust it....holy pop was that simple. Twist knob on e brake until tight, pull up, and if too much then loosen a little! You know how many vehicles I wish they would make that simple! So I took it for a small ride and going up our driveway, its a 25 degree angle, the humvee surges....kind of scary actually. I figure some water in the diesel and again go to the manual and find where the bleeder valve is, bleed out some fuel into a bucket and there is a very very small amount of water but nothing bad. I also put some stabilizer in the tank. Charged the batteries for over 3 hours and they barely wanted to start. Not as bas surge but still enough that it scares you a little. Odd that going up other hills the thing has plenty of power and feels great. So why would it surge going up my driveway and run great everywhere else?

Other notes, I had driven a true H1 but never a humvee. From the pictures the gear shifter and e-brake look pretty big, well they are tiny in real life. Also, wow you sit close to that steering wheel, closer than I would ever in any other vehicle. My trans fluid looked basically brand new, but my engine oil was a little low. So were the tires (what PSI do people like running them?). Mine also has a coms box on the roof between the passenger and driver, I dont have any of the headphones but I bet if I did it would work. Mine came with the tarp coving the rear bed, I took that off as I like the looks better. Overall I am super happy so far, just need to fix a small surging problem and get some new batteries.

Thanks in advance guys!

orgnal

Finally got my M998 today and have spent all morning going through it. We had to jump it off the trailer but then it drove nicely around. Parking brake wasn't holding for anything and was pretty much worthless, looked up in the manual how to adjust it....holy pop was that simple. Twist knob on e brake until tight, pull up, and if too much then loosen a little! You know how many vehicles I wish they would make that simple! So I took it for a small ride and going up our driveway, its a 25 degree angle, the humvee surges....kind of scary actually. I figure some water in the diesel and again go to the manual and find where the bleeder valve is, bleed out some fuel into a bucket and there is a very very small amount of water but nothing bad. I also put some stabilizer in the tank. Charged the batteries for over 3 hours and they barely wanted to start. Not as bas surge but still enough that it scares you a little. Odd that going up other hills the thing has plenty of power and feels great. So why would it surge going up my driveway and run great everywhere else?

Other notes, I had driven a true H1 but never a humvee. From the pictures the gear shifter and e-brake look pretty big, well they are tiny in real life. Also, wow you sit close to that steering wheel, closer than I would ever in any other vehicle. My trans fluid looked basically brand new, but my engine oil was a little low. So were the tires (what PSI do people like running them?). Mine also has a coms box on the roof between the passenger and driver, I dont have any of the headphones but I bet if I did it would work. Mine came with the tarp coving the rear bed, I took that off as I like the looks better. Overall I am super happy so far, just need to fix a small surging problem and get some new batteries.

Thanks in advance guys!
Congratulations! I have the tire pressure at 30 psi.

McReddy

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Spec is 22 front 20 rear I believe. If you do alot of highway driving then having it a big higher is probably better. I think 35 is a bit too high though.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The surging could be as simple as old bad fuel. There is a drain on the fuel tank. Let it sit overnight on a level surface so any water in the fuel will have time to settle to the bottom of the tank. Drain off some fuel to see if there is any water in it. A glass mason jar works well so you can see the water. Even if there is no water the fuel, it might be just old. A couple of tanks of fresh fuel might clear it up. Congrats on the new ride!

DCIV

Will do!

Where is a downloadable manual, I just keep googling it, and would rather have it.

I don't like my belts movement, I know I've read that they "dance" but I tightened the alternator ones (super easy btw) but it doesn't look as strait forward to replace them.

I need some random parts too, a windshield wiper knob, and just one exterior door handle for my passenger side soft door.

Do others have horns? Mine has a spot to push but nothing happens, don't see a horn under the hood but figured I would ask.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
Will do!

Where is a downloadable manual, I just keep googling it, and would rather have it.

I don't like my belts movement, I know I've read that they "dance" but I tightened the alternator ones (super easy btw) but it doesn't look as strait forward to replace them.

I need some random parts too, a windshield wiper knob, and just one exterior door handle for my passenger side soft door.

Do others have horns? Mine has a spot to push but nothing happens, don't see a horn under the hood but figured I would ask.
Check your email

kzeyus

Manuals are available for download here in the Present Conflict Vehicle TMs forum. You must have the 3 way light switch in Service Drive or Stop Light positions for horn to work (don't want to accidentally give away your postilion) Horn is mounted behind front bumper under the truck.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire pressure : 12 to 40 per load in the -10 [ radials ]

Action

If you open the tank drain, it may not seal back up. Be prepared to catch the entire load if that happens...
If you have the driver seat with squarish cushions, lift the entire seat up and slide it to the rear for more leg room. There are three positions.

DCIV

'make this thing reliable ...' I love your sense of humour!

McReddy
I know right! I am no stranger to working on unreliable vehicle, or hearing people talk about making them reliable. Another vehicle of mine is a 92 3000gt vr4 that I have totally built

Here it is next to the humvee. I'm also a retired from moderating that main forum 3si. So I know how this all goes. First rule is to have a daily driver but it really should be gave a garage to work on the thing and it should never even be thought of as a daily. But I also know that going over the vehicle and doing maintance is huge. Not just expecting it to work.

Coop

DCIV

If you open the tank drain, it may not seal back up. Be prepared to catch the entire load if that happens...
If you have the driver seat with squarish cushions, lift the entire seat up and slide it to the rear for more leg room. There are three positions.
I saw the instructions on a sticker or plaque and it looked all the way back but it really may not be. I hope not!

DCIV

Does anyone have a short video of the humvee belts at idle? Ive read they "dance" the manual says they move and that doesnt mean they are bad. These are not dry rotted and I tensioned them with plenty of tension. I just want to see if mine are correct, or I need to replace them and inspect the pulleys.

DCIV

So my drivers side window wasn't unzipped as I thought in the pictures. It had come undone at the zipper. Well I took it to the same place it took my vr4 to get redone today. Shot the ****, next thing I know they are fixing it right then, 20 bucks later my zipper is sewed back on.

Makes me feel better because it will be an outdoor vehicle and I don't want rain to just run in and my seat be soaked. I'm sure water is gonna get in, I'm sure everything will be damp/wet but not a giant hole that is a window open.

Now I just gotta figure out the right dye to use to make it all look the same color.

DCIV

Need a wiper knob....dont know if its worth 10 bucks plus 6.50 shipping on ebay, its a GM knob and I think just about any GM knob would fit. Am I overthinking this or has someone else used something else?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your purchase.
The belts do dance a bit, mine have been like that for a year, the horn is located near the front diff, just crawl under and you you see it.
I drive mine nearly every day, but before I did, I spent quite a few hours checking everything.
The best thing to do is to change all fluids, engine oil/ coolant, trans, diff and hubs, etc...
I replaced all of the lights on mine, most of them had rust, no more issues.
It's a fun toy, if you maintain well, it is very reliable, like I said do all of the maintenance first and then just do the upkeep and you will have a great time

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do!

Congrats on your new toy.

If you belts dance more than normal, a video would be nice hint hint, make sure to check that your power steering bracket is intact on the lower adjustment slide. Another thing to check is that the 'b@stard washer' is mounted correctly on the back bracket on the alternator.

If your horn doesnt work with the light switch on, its easy enough to remove the pickup contact from the steering column, its only 2 skrews. Clean it with emery cloth on the shaft if you see any corrosion, and you can bend the tab just a little to make it rub better. While you have the pickup dismounted, touch it to ground to verify the horn in fact does work correctly. if that doesnt work, and the horn works by grounding the pickup out, take out the horn button, and check that the wire is connected to the button, might have to dig out the wire from the column with a dental tool, just dont pull it too far out there isnt much slack.

Fuel filters, fuel filters, always keep good clean filters in, and always carry at least 1 spare. That is always the first place I start on a surge or stuble, next was addressed with the water in fuel tank and old fuel. Diesel fuel is good for a few years with no water and no addatives.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks